LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Australian Lures > NSW Lures > Knols
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Natives

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 4.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Craig View Drop Down

Beta Tester

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Craig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Natives
    Posted: 11 Dec 2009 at 12:37pm
This is my wife's collection of Knol's, the missing number 7 is currently on its way thanks to Tony. I have a packet for it and we want to get them framed. Would you frame them in packets ? The old number six, yellow, will be framed not the newer one. 
Also I'd like as much info on John as I can get to make a plaque in the framing. 

Tagged and released
bassnbob View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
B.O.B Timber Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassnbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2010 at 11:44pm
THESE would be nice in the packets in a shadow box & KNOLLSY is very very ugly manLOLLOLLOLLOLWinkWinkWinkREGARDS BOB the good lookin lure makerCoolCoolCoolCoolCoolLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOL
Seaweed View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
née Capt.Seaweed

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Seaweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2013 at 8:41am
I found one of these at the local 'dump shop', it's 4" in length overall, clear with silver scale pattern and 6 black stripes on the bum, also eyes are white with fluro orange irises. 'Knols lures' printed underneath with red colour on nose. It's plastic, do people collect, or fish these?
I'm presently copying the shape in red cedar/ali bib, as it's shape has interested me.
Seaweed.
"Always Merry and Bright"
Mr_Willy View Drop Down
Ex Member.
Ex Member.

BEWARE - SCAMMER

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr_Willy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2013 at 12:56pm
Mainly collect these days, although their going price still seems to suggest they aren't too expensive to fish with.

An awesome shape, and great Native fish catcher!
Seaweed View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
née Capt.Seaweed

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Seaweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2013 at 10:26am
Strangalures View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strangalures Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2013 at 10:34am
You'll have to take up making lures Barry that little fish catcher looks awesome.

Cheers Rick
Fish Choking Lures :)
Tony View Drop Down
Admin
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2013 at 4:58pm
Originally posted by Capt.Seaweed Capt.Seaweed wrote:

I found one of these at the local 'dump shop', it's 4" in length overall, clear with silver scale pattern and 6 black stripes on the bum, also eyes are white with fluro orange irises. 'Knols lures' printed underneath with red colour on nose. It's plastic, do people collect, or fish these?
I'm presently copying the shape in red cedar/ali bib, as it's shape has interested me.
Seaweed.

Gday Tony

I believe there's reasonable interest in these as collectables, I think the one you found might possibly be one of the earlier molded models?

I think the text changed over time (started bolder I think?), and the later ones had no writing on them - Something like that anyway! I could be wrong though - my Knolls collection is mostly focussed on the very early carved ones so I am not 100% familiar with the later ones.

They're certainly not as cheap as they used to be!

Cheers, Tony

For the love of Fishing Lures.
doccod View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
B.J.'s Spinnerbaits

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote doccod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2013 at 5:30pm
Tony this is one of the later models still collectable but in my opinion not as valuable as the first series.....The first series had 2 tow points and since I've passed my personal collection onto the Australian Lure Museum that Handbrake (Debbie ) is setting up I haven't a example to show you.....The first series had a tow point on the nose but also in the bib.......Windsor Tackle Store in Windsor on Sydneys outer suburbs still retails Knols lures stock that was left over.......That clear series worked real well on flatties cod etc BUT as Knolsy can tell you plus Tony Hare.....Those 2 plus a well accomplished female angler tried those lures out on the Daly river in 2002 on Barra for really poor results......I know because I was at the 2002 Barra Nationals where John,Georgie and Tony competed against the Bochows amongst others........I pulled one out at the classic a fortnight later and was frowned upon for even showing it off at all.....Consequently I never used them there at all.....Instead I freaked every one out and used Cudgeefish lures for great results on barra leaving the Halcos for my sponsored cousins to use instead.......At one stage I had Cords and Neil Patrick shaking there heads every time it looked like the cudgee was going to pull another Barra!!!!!But I digress mate because I believe in the right situation that lure you've got in the clear could do great damage to local fish stocks given the right opportunity......regards B.J........P.S. We ended up Champion Visiting Team on that year and it was a real Buzz standing in Parliment House in Darwin to recieve our Barra on Sticks......A memory I will cherish for the rest of my life.......B.J.
Lofty View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder

Esoteric Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lofty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2013 at 5:54pm
Good tale Bill keep them comming.Lofty
Esoteric lures "For The Select Few"
Seaweed View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
née Capt.Seaweed

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seaweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2013 at 10:08am
BJ, don't intend to fish this copy, just had fun making it, as I liked the shape when I found it. Haven't seen your cousins for years, I don't fish any of the barra comps., think I spotted Kevin at a boat show a few years back, hardly recognized him, his hair was completely silver, old age is getting us all.
Tony, if anyone here collects, and doesn't have this particular model/colour, happy to pass it on.
Regards, Seaweed.
NQ FISH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NQ FISH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2015 at 8:48pm
Originally posted by Capt.Seaweed Capt.Seaweed wrote:

Nice job Seaweed
Bad days fishing is better than a good days work
Cheers chris
New Signing View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New Signing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2015 at 1:20pm
I've still got that one 5th from the right. Has done a lot of damage to the flathead population in the crookhaven river in the years i fished hard bodies for them Big smile
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic