LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Fishing > Messing around in Boats
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

nema board

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rodsncods Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: nema board
    Posted: 27 Dec 2014 at 5:47am
anyone had anything to do or worked with nema board before? thinking of using it my new boat for the floor, very strong and light-weight......mick
BEER IS PROOF THAT GOD LOVES US AND WANTS US TO BE HAPPY!!!
Paul G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2014 at 8:00am
G'day Mick,
Is that the stuff that has the consistency of honeycomb? If it is it is as strong as hell! My boat had the casting deck hatch lids made out of it, it took all my weight tramping round on top of it.

From memory it was about 12mm thick and had two very thin "glass" sheets sanwhiched between this honeycomb stuff. Dead easy to drill/cut but as you say, very light and very strong!!

Cheers,
Paul
rodsncods View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rodsncods Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2014 at 8:11am
that's it paul. got a piece about 800x 400mm, put it on a couple of bits of 4x2, stood and jumped on it (i'm 95kgs), not a problem. i put a bit of it in a bucket of water three weeks ago and no absorbtion. i have two sheets of 9mm marine ply but have some nema board at work for the right price. no mucking around sealing ply......mick
Nicho View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Nichos Maulers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2014 at 8:45am
It does say water resistant.....so might be worth a coat of sealer especially around egdges /or where youve cut?.....but sounds like its worth the try...especially at a fair price.....I presume you will carpet over it?
Nichos Maulers Homemade timber lures....THEY CATCH FISH!

YA DONT KNOW...IF YA DONT GO...SO GET OUT THERE AND... FISH IT
rodsncods View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rodsncods Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2014 at 8:49am
yeah jas , but not stuck down. that way it can be taken out to let everything dry......mick
bignanny View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
CAM Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bignanny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2014 at 9:43am
is that the same product as divinycell? My hooker had this throughout and it's good stuff, you might have to double up if your using it in a transom or get some advice as it compresses more so than ply obviously.
Paul G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2014 at 10:43am
Yeah guys,

The stuff on my attack 470 was completely water resistant, I used quick grip to glue the carpet down, no water issues at all. I looked at giving it a "sealing" coat first but didn't need to. You could say it is as water resistant as plastic!!

I think it goes by a few names, Drew the chap that built my boat was calling it clegcell (spelling?) from memory.

I have some pics of the carpeting process around somewhere, I'll see if I can find them and put some up.

Cheers, Paul.
Paul G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2014 at 11:07am
Here it is!! This is a shot of the underside of the lid, the carpet is ready to be glued up and over the nema board on the sides.

I actually put a layer of closed cell foam underlay between the carpet and the nema/clegcell/divinycell,(that's the thin blue line of stuff) which made it extra comfy when standing/fishing from it all day!!
Darby View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fishaholic Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2014 at 11:26am
Klegecell and Divinycell are PVC foams, comes in various densities. Been used in marine and engineering fields for decades. Does need sealing, usually with the epoxy resins applied when sheathing with Kevlar, Dynel or Glass fibre.

Nema Board is a polymer composite sheet, also comes in various densities. Should not need sealing like foams as the base material doesn't absorb water, but sealing stops the aeration spaces in the light density boards from storing water.

Paul, you are right, Drew did use a lot of composites in his boats, unusual for a small builder, but they do result in a light stong boat if dome well.
"If you are going to have fun with your rod.. get some wood

hazmail View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Rayna Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hazmail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2014 at 6:59pm
Hummmmmmm, I'm watching- I have been looking at different 'composites' for a year or more and this stuff (Nema) looks the goods- I was also playing with the idea of using 'expanded PVC sheet'( maybe it's the same stuff??) but I thought it would bend with weight on it on a hot deck.
Thanks for all the info guys, I will be checking this out in the hear future.
Pete
   'RAYNA' ---Free Range Lures
peterayn@yahoo.com.au
hazmail View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Rayna Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hazmail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2014 at 7:34pm
AH HA--'Nema' looks like the same stuff as 'Celuka' board which is supposed to be made in Germany (last time I looked)???????????
Ah no it's not , China of course
http://au.alibaba.com/product/1880674959-high-quality-white-4x8ft-pvc-celuka.html
Anyway looks like exactly the same properties NEMA @ $1.33/Kg for 25mm sheet--
Just shows how much these importers/ distributers/& shysters are making, the last sheet of this stuff I bought (20mm) was a bit over $200, I used a lot of this in my van (and lures), very light and strong BUT I wonder what a 38c day would do to it when it's under dark carpet @ probably 50c with 80 Kg standing on it??
Anyway keep the info/ experiences coming, I still have an open mind about it, even @ 200 a sheet.
Pete
   'RAYNA' ---Free Range Lures
peterayn@yahoo.com.au
rodsncods View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rodsncods Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2015 at 6:54pm
i have two sheets of 16mm nema board 2440mm X 1220 for sale. anyone interested , pm me.....mick
rodsncods View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rodsncods Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2015 at 4:45pm
gone.....mick
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic