LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Lure Discussion > Fishing with Lures > The Pool Room
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Never saw it.........

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chep Buxley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Never saw it.........
    Posted: 18 Oct 2014 at 6:44pm
Never saw what took this Rapala ShadRap 5cm. The creek holds some big bass but it didn't feel that big.
It was very strange. I've caught an Eastern Cod in there before......wasn't an eel....dunno what it was.
Maybe it was just a dud lure.

CaptainCranky View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Guide
LureLovers.com Guide
Beta Tester

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CaptainCranky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2014 at 10:19pm
Very common up here with Sootys and Jacks doing that to Shad Raps .
Regardless of the wire pulling sideways out of the lure from leverage the splitring appears to have failed.
Fabulous little lures but lacking strength for some of our Aussie species.
Definitely my Fav Jack lure when they hit the market.
I beefed them up with small dia. heavy duty Split Rings and No.6 9430A mustad trebles back in the day however had many,Many ripped apart in the tail.
My remedy was to wind no.3 or 4 soft stainless wire around 24hour Aradite on the tail for about 10mm.
This put the lure a little out of balance however made them quite robust considering their delicate size and the Timber they were made from.
The Journey is the Reward

Davent View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2014 at 6:59pm
Pretty common in balsa lures.
Had similar problems with some of my early lures to.
Easy fix was to make the tail section a bit thicker, so there is more wood around the wire.
Atheism is a non prophet organisation
horrorhead View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLover of the Year 2020

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2014 at 8:36pm
Cut the split section off, re drill the hole and glue in the hook hanger and see what the action is like.
Martin-

you don't havta be pretty to fish
rivermandave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rivermandave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2014 at 12:45am
In case you guys didn't know, Rapala makes the Glass Shad Rap & the Shad Rap RS oout of plastic Wink
Davent View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2014 at 8:38am
Most of us prefer timber lures, just because.....
Atheism is a non prophet organisation
Pearcey View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Dave Pearce Lures and OLM Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pearcey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2014 at 9:05am
Great lures those shad raps, i have seen the bib come back without the body it is a shame they have strength problems because they are very effective , maybe a stronger wood would suffice with out having no effect on the action , such as red cedar , cheers pearcey
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic