LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Lure Making > Make your own Fishing Lures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New Bank Casting Lure retriever

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lycan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Bank Casting Lure retriever
    Posted: 05 Sep 2019 at 9:53pm
Hi All,

Had another creative moment and decided to do a proof of concept magnetic locking lure retriever as I wanted something that was super easy to attach to line.

1st image is an overhead of the prototype that shows were weights are located, along with line tube and magnetic locking system.

Next image shows line placed through spacing depicted.

Next image shows device closed.

And the last image merely shows the two faces together with no gaps.

Due to positioning of weights and the actual magnet itself, when the retriever is closed, the line insertion slot inside the retriever is automatically at a different position to eliminate it falling into line guide, however even if the retriever rotated, the line is kept in place by the tube in the opposing section.

I deliberately didn't want chains as they can be troublesome when used from the bank as you cannot get a direct above angle. Took the prototype down to local river this afternoon and it worked fine on de snagging as it was, however in saying that, I never pull hard on a snagged lure to avoid embedding the hooks too far into the timber.

I wanted something super quick to attach and release so after a few minutes thinking about the issue, the above was the end result.

PS : It takes a fair deal of effort to open the retriever as I used decent sized magnet to eliminate any accidental opening of the retriever.

Cheers
Steve
Living outside of the square means never having to sit in the corner
hooknose View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hooknose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2019 at 10:59pm
Looks good Steve !@
Cheers Steve R !!!
MAN I LOVE FISHING ! ! !
Lycan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lycan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2019 at 11:01pm
Thanks,

It was just a rough 3D printed prototype, but shows potential so will make a resin cast one next time.

Steve
Cod Classic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cod Classic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2019 at 12:00am
Here we go again!

I do have a few goodies for you. Hopefully remember to put them n the mail for you tomorrow. Hows that side of things going?

Cheers TB
Lycan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lycan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2019 at 12:04am
Hi TB,

Yep just couldn't help myself and had to think outside of the square as usual.

Made a new mold of the FT70 and once I send some to Anthony for painting, I shall pass them along. I am up to 32 Yellas and 11 Cod on the FT70 so definitely settled on this design - Hence made the mold.

Catch up soon
Steve
horrorhead View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLover of the Year 2020

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2019 at 7:08pm
Now why hasn’t that been done before?
Martin-

you don't havta be pretty to fish
Lycan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lycan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2019 at 7:22pm
It is surprising how many times you see something new and wonder that very same thing - once made it just seems so obvious.

The magnetic closure system will never open as its a struggle to open it up on the prototype, so will have to put some form of recess for grip to separate on the next version.

Cheers
Steve
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic