LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Lure Making > Make your own Fishing Lures > Lures you have made
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New Harlequin lures

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bibby Lures Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Harlequin lures
    Posted: 28 Feb 2019 at 6:04pm
Hi all. Here are my latest Harlequin purple lures that have just finished being epoxyed. 70mm, through wire ,shallow (600mm) aprox running.
I think most freshwater fish would like them and they would be strong enough to hold almost anything that tries to monster them
Hope you like them
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2019 at 7:36pm
jack tucker!Thumbs Up
that's no how ye make porridge!
al49 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote al49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2019 at 6:31am
great job there ,why did you decide to go thru wire with such a small lure ?
it a lot better world if you just smile
Bibby Lures View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bibby Lures Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2019 at 4:24pm
Hey Al. The lures are 70mm so they are not really small. Ive done thru wire to 50mm. Thats interesting.I find it's actually easier for me as I do all my lures this way. Bit of work but I dont mind. These lures will handle almost any fish that monsters them without breaking, salt water species included. Sometimes big fish will only take small lures.
al49 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote al49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2019 at 4:29pm
cheers mate ,i was thinking it would be a bit of a hassle splitting small lure to put wire thru 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bibby Lures Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2019 at 4:33pm
I dont split them. I run a 2mm saw blade through the belly while still in rectangle block form. Imagine drawing a straight line from front to rear hook hangers and cutting height required. I'm a cabinetmaker so I have a table saw
Kimo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2019 at 5:00pm
Gota agree with ya Bibby, Elephants eat Peanuts.
I dropped a Sailfish with body length of 1.8 /2.00 metres on the deck for pictures and it spat out tiny whitebait it had been feeding on.
Bill Jackson once showed me a well made lure he had made with through wire the same as I believe you are doing.
The lure had encountered a big fish which had ripped at least half of the wiring harness from the body of the lure before its capture or untimely release.
Some time back there was a post put up by I think PJ with what I thought was the best and strongest through wire system I had ever seen
Might be worth a look or a chat with PJ
But don`t take to much notice of me as I don`t make lure and know very little about it
Your Lures do look good and I like the colors
Cheers Kimo   

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bibby Lures Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2019 at 6:18pm
Hi Kimo. When I was starting timber lure making 2 years ago, i was using balsa on all my lures with the same through wire system that I use today. I found out the hard way on a trip to NT Gulf country that balsa lures and big barra dont mix. I had the guts pulled out of a couple of lures but still recovered the fish. I just pushed the wire back in and kept throwing and caught more lol
Any saltwater lures that I do now are cedar or similar. Haven't been back yet to test my theory but I would back them to stand up against any barra up there. Some big fish where we were too
HARTE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HARTE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2019 at 7:31pm
Great looking lures, thanks for the theory thats goes into your lures! Clap

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bibby Lures Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2019 at 8:00pm

Different lure but this is the through wire system that I use. Hope this may help someone. Think this was a prototype as the hole for weight has been drilled after shaping getting right balance.
Looking at the picture I normally do the wrapping further along the wire and superglue it

If anyone is interested I have FB page. Look for Bibby Handmade Lures
al49 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote al49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2019 at 7:48am
very nice system ,i like it ,it might have to go in my stickbaits if they get destroyed on longtails and GTs :) 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic