Forum Home Forum Home > Lure Making > The Luremakers Shed
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New Powell cave

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Powell Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Powelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Powell cave
    Posted: 08 Dec 2015 at 7:52pm
We moved to Port Macquarie about a month ago.

The man cave went from this  to 70 sq metres 

Moving in was messy!

Finally got some order in the cave, over the past 2 weeks.

The carving timber is sorted into thicknesses, the old 1800's cedar and the Tasmanian timber.

The rods are sorted and out of the way.

Still need to buy a good bandsaw, thicknesser and dust collector. Now that I'm retired, I don't get to use the work bandsaw and thicknesser.    Looks like I will have travel to Sydney to buy some decent gear.

Still got plenty of blanks cut out, so I will have start carving soon.

Cheers

Travers
steiny View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steiny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2015 at 7:54pm
Wow...70 square metres, that is awesome Travers. Looking forward to seeing more pics as you become more at home in the new space.

cheers
cheers steiny
Mcleod View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder

Macquarie Customs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mcleod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2015 at 8:12pm
Wowza, that looks awesome Travers. Got family in Port myself, you will love it.

Angus
Ducks View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ducks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2015 at 9:02pm
Nice little upgrade that.
Davent View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2015 at 11:42pm
My mum and dad are in Bonny Hills Travers, hope I can visit early next year, might get a chance to catch you for a beer while im down there, cheers , dave.
Atheism is a non prophet organisation
jaybonnie View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybonnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2015 at 1:52am
Great man cave and when can i move in mateCool
THE CODFATHER
SNAFU View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
RIPP-N LURES

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNAFU Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2015 at 4:36am
Coming up a treat Travers Thumbs Up

Mick!!!
Nicho View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Nichos Maulers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2015 at 4:50am
You beauty....better stock that fridge, weve organised a party...there soon.
looks great
Nichos Maulers Homemade timber lures....THEY CATCH FISH!

YA DONT KNOW...IF YA DONT GO...SO GET OUT THERE AND... FISH IT
hypnos View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hypnos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2015 at 5:35am
neat looking playroom that !!!  WinkWink
cheers
a wife & a steady job are a handicap to the serious fisherman !!
lest_55 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lest_55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2015 at 7:24am
Think you gonna need a bigger fridge Travers WinkWink
Nativeman View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nativeman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2015 at 7:30am
Nice Travers, I was wondering when you were going to settle in after the move. Heaps of room there to make some sawdust... Looking forward to seeing some more of your lures...

Powelly View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Powell Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Powelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2015 at 7:33am
We took our grand daughter, Daisy, to Sea Acres Rainforest Walk a few days ago 

and look what I found!

Two of my favourite carving timbers.  Brown Beech (Bolly Gum) and White Beech. No Red Cedar, but I've got plenty of that.

Surely there's a local mill where these timbers can be bought.

Beer

Travers

Werriscreekwonda View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder

Woods Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Werriscreekwonda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2015 at 8:08am
Now I have cave envy...
Nicho View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Nichos Maulers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2015 at 9:49am
powelly find your local woodworkers club....the old boys will have stuff you need...if they dont you can bet they know who does.
Nichos Maulers Homemade timber lures....THEY CATCH FISH!

YA DONT KNOW...IF YA DONT GO...SO GET OUT THERE AND... FISH IT
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2015 at 11:16am
that's going to be a great workshop Travers I'm looking forward to seeing the end result
that's no how ye make porridge!
Seaweed View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
née Capt.Seaweed

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seaweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2015 at 3:20pm
Good luck to you Travers, nice part of the world. My old mum lives up the road a couple of hours in Woopie. If I could just handle the cold in winter, I'd definitely consider living along the NSW north coast.
Regards, Tony.
"Always Merry and Bright"
Powelly View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Powell Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Powelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2015 at 3:48pm
Originally posted by Capt.Seaweed Capt.Seaweed wrote:

Good luck to you Travers, nice part of the world. My old mum lives up the road a couple of hours in Woopie. If I could just handle the cold in winter, I'd definitely consider living along the NSW north coast.
Regards, Tony.

You can do it, Tony.  Toughen up!

It's official     

Best climate in Australia!  "God's waiting room"   Welcome to Port Macquarie.

My address & phone number are on my card. Anyone calling through, feel free to give me a call and drop in.  Fridge is full of beer and a bottle of ''electric lemonade', in case Flacco drops in.  No red wine is stored in the man cave - just an attempt to keep Wadey away LOL.  Still a few bottles of Durif in the cupboard, Wadey.

Beer

Travers
hypnos View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hypnos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2015 at 5:04pm
AH !! so wadey is a man after my own heart - i have been known to have a few reds on occasion - if i visit the powell cave i bring some durif !!!Big smileBig smile
cheers
a wife & a steady job are a handicap to the serious fisherman !!
Powelly View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Powell Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Powelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2015 at 5:09pm
Originally posted by hypnos hypnos wrote:

AH !! so wadey is a man after my own heart - i have been known to have a few reds on occasion - if i visit the powell cave i bring some durif !!!Big smileBig smile
cheers

Done! Clap  Looking forward to the visit. Bazz.
Thumbs Up

Travers
Powelly View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Powell Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Powelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2015 at 6:38pm
At  last, the man therapy has started. I thought that it would be appropriate that the first lure carved in the man cave should be a 5" Kaditcha. I carved two, old style 5" Kads today.

Hopefully, I've got enough blanks to start carving the 2016 Kaditcha Sets.

Cheers

Travers
Davent View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2015 at 7:12pm
Mild winters my arse!
Powelly View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Powell Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Powelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2015 at 8:09pm
Originally posted by Davent Davent wrote:

My mum and dad are in Bonny Hills Travers, hope I can visit early next year, might get a chance to catch you for a beer while im down there, cheers , dave.

Plenty of beer in the fridge, Dave.  Look forward to catching up.
Powelly View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Powell Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Powelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2015 at 4:38pm
Santa arrived early, this year.

Just need to put them together, now.

Until then, they will be guarded by the highly trained, deadly weapon, Buster. Well, he did do 10 weeks at drug school! He failed, but at least he tried.

Beer

Travers
Mitto View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder

Mitto's Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mitto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2015 at 5:01pm
You around for the holidays old fella!! Will be in port for a few days so will catch up with my old master if ur around. Keep the fridge full.
Mitto.
Mitto's Lures -- simple but effective
matt fraser View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder

Barambah Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matt fraser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2015 at 5:01pm
Wow Travers! I don't know how I missed this post, congrats on the new cave! That is something special. Have fun with the new toys!

Merry Christmas!

Matt
hazmail View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Rayna Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hazmail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2015 at 9:23pm
Nice Travers, I envy you, that shed is nearly as big as my house- will have to drop in and have a look next time I zip up to Brisbane.
Have a good Xmas all.
Pete
   'RAYNA' ---Free Range Lures
peterayn@yahoo.com.au
Powelly View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Powell Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Powelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2015 at 6:33pm
Managed to put the machines together. Hafco Woodmaster BP-355 14" bandsaw, Sheppach dust extractor and a Jet 12" Thicknesser.

Unfortunately, the bandsaw comes with a massive blade and Hare & Forbes don't sell the 6mm X 10tpi blades that I need.  Will have to order a few blades after the new year.

Travers
Nativeman View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nativeman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2015 at 7:04pm
Looks good Travers... 

What was the rough cost of the extractor please..

Powelly View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Powell Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Powelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2015 at 8:30pm
Originally posted by Nativeman Nativeman wrote:

Looks good Travers... 

What was the rough cost of the extractor please..

Dust extractor was $250, from Hare & Forbes.  I bought all of the gear through a local business, but it worked out about the same as me buying the stuff direct from Carbatec and Hare & Forbes. 

Travers
hazmail View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Rayna Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hazmail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2015 at 7:30pm
Try these Travers-- I have used these for a while, BUT now need a new one , haplessly blunt after cutting some dirty timber a while back---

http://www.machines4u.com.au/view/advert/BANDSAW-BLADES-M42-BIMETAL-WITH-COBALT-GERMAN/60919/
Or google Rontgen bandsaw blades to find a dealer near you.
Pete
   'RAYNA' ---Free Range Lures
peterayn@yahoo.com.au
Strangalures View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strangalures Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2015 at 10:29pm
Good to it all getting set up and out of boxes Travers
The thicknesser looks good , it will your best toy for sure 👍
Fish Choking Lures :)
Davent View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2015 at 1:16am
Originally posted by Powelly Powelly wrote:

Santa arrived early, this year.

Just need to put them together, now.

Until then, they will be guarded by the highly trained, deadly weapon, Buster. Well, he did do 10 weeks at drug school! He failed, but at least he tried.

Beer

Travers

bloody hell, you were a good boy!

Now what did I do that was soooo bad.....
Doc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2016 at 12:48pm
Welcome to town Travers      Clap       Port Mac is becoming a lure makers haven. hope to catch up with you one day

I think I know why Buster didn't make it     "Over Sampling" maybe

Powelly View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Powell Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Powelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2016 at 3:36pm
Originally posted by Doc Doc wrote:

Welcome to town Travers      Clap       Port Mac is becoming a lure makers haven. hope to catch up with you one day

I think I know why Buster didn't make it     "Over Sampling" maybe

Call around anytime, Paul.  Mobile and address are on the card at the beginning of this post.

Always looking for someone to go fishing with, particularly if they where the fish are hiding!

Cheers

Travers
Doc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2016 at 5:36am
It would be my pleasure and I will give you a call,
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic