Forum Home Forum Home > Fishing > Fishing Reports
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

North East Natives

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>
Author
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLover of the Year 2020

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2015 at 6:11pm
Must be great to have such good cod water so close to you Clap
Martin-

you don't havta be pretty to fish
Tbolt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbolt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2015 at 10:08am
Good to see you havn't lost your touch Smile
flyonline View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyonline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2015 at 10:33am
Thanks guys!

Bob
that lure makes a good stand in for small carp I reckon and swims very nice!

Martin
yep, very lucky and am reminded every time I go out.

Cliff
might not have lost it, but it went missing for a while LOL
flyonline View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyonline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2015 at 6:21am
Another season under way!

I took a 'mental health' day on tuesday and headed out for opening day but didn't see much, my uncle landed one and I missed one and we had a couple of follows each. 

Spent some browny points last night (significantly in the black at the moment!) and snuck out close to home paddling down for a bit before turning back upstream to fish back to the car in the twilight. My casting was a lot better than I was expecting seeing as it's been some time, but my paddling needs a bit of improvement LOL

As for the last couple of years, the extra winter flows have changed the internal gravel and some bankside trees with a couple of new trees in the water and a couple missing.

Reaching the turn around point I began firing in one of Shane's sliders and it wasn't long until the first fish grabbed, phew duck broken.

Changing over to another lure I peppered the banks, willow tips and timber until a tiny trout cod snaffled it. Not bothering with a photo, I changed again to one of Chris' floorboards and after giving a bankside group a wide berth I took this cod off the top of some willow fronds in the water.

(sorry for the dodgy photo chris, but I'd been hanging onto it too long already to get another).

Further on as it got dark I changed again to the biggest of Shane's sliders in the hope of finding a bigger fish, but one tail slap was all the response I got until I had to pack it in and head home in the last bit of light.

Still, 3 fish with a couple of follows in there somewhere wasn't a bad evernings work, bring on the rest of the season!

MadDogLures View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Mad Dog Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadDogLures Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2015 at 6:34am
All nice fish Emoticons and great lures too.

Cheers,
Dave
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2015 at 11:47am
nice work Steve gee that floorboard is hypnotising me
that's no how ye make porridge!
steiny View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steiny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2015 at 1:04pm
Sideways wiggle even in the photo! Well done fugly!
cheers steiny
flyonline View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyonline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2015 at 1:09pm
Originally posted by puglee62 puglee62 wrote:

nice work Steve gee that floorboard is hypnotising me

I did that to cover up that I've given it a serious hiding and it needs a repaint Embarrassed 
horrorhead View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2015 at 4:30pm
Still got to try to open my account - next week end may be the go.
Nice fish there mate Clap
Martin-

Tbolt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbolt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2015 at 9:31am
Good to see you got some runs on the board Thumbs Up
flyonline View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyonline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2015 at 12:24pm
I haven't been all slack and have managed to get out a couple of times in the past few weeks including one day where I smoked my friend and had 4 landed and two dropped to nil LOL

Your lures must be cursed chris, I forgot to take a photo of the best fish of the day on the disco, after losing a good fish at the boat and then getting busted off shortly after on the strawberry icecream floorboard.

Organised a day off baby wrangling and headed out early with the fly rod. It took a bit to get the first hit, but the fish came to the fly slowly after that. Landed one to 60ish and missed the same fish twice on the way down then again on the way back - looked a little better but I saw it coming both times and was too quick on the strike. The second time he took the wool tail on the mouse fly Angry Some nice water, but I suspect high traffic has quietened things down a little.

Raffey View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raffey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2015 at 1:21pm
Nice ones Steve. They're a great looking fish when they have the darker green mottling. Thanks for posting.

Cheers,

Danny.
Echo Lures
Nicho View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Nichos Maulers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2015 at 3:37pm
Makes me realise i really need to go fishing!
cheers for sharing
Nichos Maulers Homemade timber lures....THEY CATCH FISH!

YA DONT KNOW...IF YA DONT GO...SO GET OUT THERE AND... FISH IT
flyonline View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyonline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2016 at 6:00am
Thanks Danny, my wife doesn't think they look all that nice so I don't bother showing her any photos now. I really like the leopard pattern that some of the smaller upstream cod get, but any fish is good Wink

Nicho
less talk, more fishin'! Thumbs Up

Tbolt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbolt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2016 at 8:37am
Funny how women don't get it LOL

Couple of nice fish there on both lure and fly Thumbs Up
jaybonnie View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybonnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2016 at 1:42pm
Really nice looking fishClap
THE CODFATHER
flyonline View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyonline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2016 at 8:05am
Ducked down to the local behind home with the yak with the intention of fishing some timber and vegetation that I doubt gets fished much (if at all). Started off with the slider as per usual, but with nothing happening I switched over to something I came up with on the spur of the moment at home - a no.1 stumpy with a shallow no.2 bib for a very shallow almost wake bait type action.

A small fish flashed at it almost immediately and then I had a seriously big hit a few casts later but the hooks didn't hold or the fish only slapped it. Paddling through a bit more of some timber spaghetti, I snagged my lure on the top of a fallen wattle tree, and while retrieving it I noticed some movement in the middle of the tree (still in the water). Peering at me closely was a fairly large tiger snake with very beautiful markings, almost a coppery red along the flanks as well as very defined stripes. It was too dark to get a good photo, but I moved on a bit more cautious after that - parlicularly with a long walk home through the long dry grass!!

Shorty after a fish hit the lure off the top of some more fallen willows, and I thought it was a moderately small fish until I saw it, it came without a fight until I got close to the yak. A quick tangle in some branches floating in the river caused a bit of anxiety, but the hooks were well home and a bit of deft rod tip work had it free and I beached to grab a photo. A quick measure against the rod and I guessed high 60's and was only slightly off with a ~70 against a tape at home.

I must have got a bit of water behind the lens protector at some stage, so you'll have to put up with the 'days of our lives' soft focus until I can work out how to dry it out somehow LOL

With the darkness fast approaching I turned back and fired in a few casts over the big fish again with heart pumping. A quick thump followed by a very small pull gave me a start, but it was a bit of an anti-climax with a small fish coming to the boat. While drifting in an eddy fixing the bib, I heard a splish-splash behind me along with some rustling in the trees. Looking up I spotted a possum taking a crap!! Nearly got me, but not quite Shocked

Back on dry land it was a 15min drag of the yak along the farmers lane to get home - well worth the effort!
Screamingreel View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2016 at 9:32am
What a great trip and brilliant photosThumbs Up

Regards John
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2016 at 6:28pm
Great to see your concept work Thumbs Up
Martin-

Raffey View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raffey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2016 at 7:29pm
Yeah Steve awesome as usual mate. Great photos of the cod still in the water. Keep up the great reports.

Cheers,

Danny.
Echo Lures
flyonline View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyonline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2016 at 7:35pm
Originally posted by Screamingreel Screamingreel wrote:

What a great trip and brilliant photosThumbs Up

Regards John

Thanks John but dunno 'bout the photos, was a good result considering I very nearly didn't go.

Martin

it was one of those 'I wonder....' I actually tried a couple of shapes with the deeper bib giving a traditional wobble and the shallow round bib giving a nice wiggle.

Danny

I always try and look after the fish as best I can, they don't ask to get caught so they need to be sent back in as good a condition as possible.
Tbolt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbolt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2016 at 6:10am
Nice fish Steve, you're lucky to live so close to productive water Thumbs Up

Cliff
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2016 at 6:42am
great story Steve and a couple of good fish ,I guess the pooing possum and tree tiger plus the hike in and out make the experience even more interesting and worthwhile ,makes for a good read too when you put it all on here   
MadDogLures View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Mad Dog Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadDogLures Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2016 at 5:20pm
Cool story and I love the natives.Thumbs Up

Cheers,
Dave
Life is fishing!
flyonline View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyonline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2016 at 7:50pm
Cliff

don't I know it and love every minute of it and as you know it's not even out of the way water that doesn't get a lot of traffic. Kinda nice to be able to hit the river 5 min from home Thumbs Up

Mind you, we are classified as a flood risk Thumbs Down

Chris

wouldn't have been so happy if the possum had got me! Wonder if it's good luck like a bird LOL

Dave

thanks, always good to get material Big smile
flyonline View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyonline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2016 at 4:31pm
Originally posted by flyonline flyonline wrote:

Mind you, we are classified as a flood risk Thumbs Down

Shouldn't have spoken. The recent floods were an interesting experience and our first here. I swore blind when we returned to the area I'd never buy a house on the flood plain, yet here we are Confused

Water got up close to the house, and was inches from going into the shed and the well (phew!). Had carp swimming around the back paddock for a bit, but they buggered off as soon as it started dropping. Some serious gravel shifts have taken place, a lot of big trees down completely over the river (AWESOME!) and every pool looks different in some way.

Have been out a couple of times, but not bothered to put anything up yet....

Snuck down the lane behind home to hit up the good water before the crowds move in over the next couple of weeks. A serious boil behind a surface lure took the best part of an hour, followed by a couple of other boofs, one of which converted into a better than average TC.

Taken off the back end of a fallen poplar tree. Given it's been down only a couple of months, the amount of growth from the side of the trunk is very high.

Good to be back Thumbs Up

Steve
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2016 at 7:39pm
Beautiful stretch of water - would be nice to have that just down the road.Thumbs Up
Martin-

jaybonnie View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybonnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2016 at 11:07pm
Great reports mate and always enjoy reading your postsThumbs Up
THE CODFATHER
whipit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whipit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2016 at 7:56am
Great to see you back..always enjoy reading your adventures.
Cheers Brad
whipit
Screamingreel View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2016 at 11:42am
Great photos and report as well

Regards John
flyonline View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyonline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2016 at 5:46pm
Thanks guys, it sometimes takes a bit of an effort to write something up - especially a long action filled day but it seems like others get some enjoyment out of it which is the whole point really!

Martin

yes, and I've said it before - know I'm bloody lucky and enjoy every minute of it.
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2016 at 8:37am
good to see that water didnt get in your house and shed Steve.That fallen poplar looks really good and its probably only going to get better as a cod snag as time goes on.Love your stories mate its a nice diversion from a day when we're not fishing ourselves.Thumbs Up
flyonline View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyonline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2016 at 1:06pm

good to see that water didnt get in your house and shed Steve.

Thanks Chris, this house didn't go under in '93 which is the highest in recent history (i.e. recorded white history) so I wasn't too worried (year right Shocked). Did make getting in and out a bit difficult - almost stepped on a carp on the road heading in the next morning to get the dogs out LOL Our underground cellar still has water in it.

That fallen poplar looks really good and its probably only going to get better as a cod snag as time goes on.

What you can't see is the tangle of big logs on the other side. This section of river is probably on average about the best of the upland stretch for in-stream timber.

Love your stories mate its a nice diversion from a day when we're not fishing ourselves.Thumbs Up

Aww shucks, you'll make me blush Embarrassed

flyonline View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyonline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2017 at 9:33am
With the chores done, daughter in bed and a storm on the horizon, what's a bloke to do? Go fishing with high hopes of course LOL

Thunderheads always excite me, I love storms as well as the extra chance of some exciting fishing. This one hung around the whole time I was out.

I headed down the back with the aim of fishing the outside of the bend along the fallen timber as the recent flood had shifted most of the rubbish away allowing access - for a while anyway, the blackberries are on the march already. Poking around I could hear a family of goshawks dealing with dinner, one of the parents had something in it's foot, but wouldn't give it up to what I assume was the youngster. There are fallow deer down there as well, so I always keep an eye out for them in low light conditions as well as look for marks or prints, but they must be keeping into the thick scrub at the moment as there was no fresh prints on the sand/mud.

Nothing much was happening so after copping a flogging from the branches and blackberries, it was a relief to wade across the cool water to the other side. The water was a little high and flowing fast for real comfort and prevented me targeting the best snags properly, but a big shallow running diver gave the best option to work the first few meters before the lure was swept away. Casting 10-15m for only a couple of meters of the lure in the zone was a little frustrating, but a surface lure was swept away before it had time to work it's magic. A swirl off the back of a fallen log was the first indication the fish were there, and shortly after the lure bumped then went stopped with a dead weight. My first thought was a branch but a tiny trout cod came to hand, only twice the size of the lure. If the world ever needed evidence of the aggressive nature of cod, here it is! (That's a no. 1 stumpy with a no. 2 bib).

That was it for the evening, despite the barometer all over the place, the distant storms  the fish didn't want to play so I called it an evening early and got home just as dark was falling. Gotta love a spot only 5min from home!!!!!!!!

Steve
flyonline View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote flyonline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2017 at 5:52pm
Headed out again with my uncle to fish one of my favorite sections, with the hot muggy evening and rising baromoter we were hoping for some decent action, but it was only moderate going over the 4 or so hours of fishing with unc' landing 1 and hooks pulled on another to my 6. We both had a couple of follows/bumps as well, with my best fish going mid 60's - I had intended to get a photo but the hooks fell out while I was trying to get my thumb in a closed mouth (why is it always the way?). After landing the first, I switched over to Chris' discobob and pulled a fish from a good snag that I've never seen a fish from before, then proceeded to land a further 4 including one very small fish that looked like a hybrid (TC colouring, eye stripe but MC leopard blotches) before we turned around on dusk to get back to the car in time.

Someone's gotta do it right? LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>
  Share Topic