Forum Home Forum Home > Australian Lures > NT Lures > Blinky
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Oldies

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Blinky's Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blinky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Oldies
    Posted: 30 Dec 2015 at 11:33am
Having a dig around in the lure cupboard the other night and came across these 1980's originals, some worst for wear, others in mint condition never seen water....
All pre 1985 with the exception of the top centre, top right and bottom right, the ones that have the stick-on holographic eyes. I started using the stick-ons from 1986 onwards....

The one at bottom left, the "Bleeding Mullet" is probably my all-time favourite lure, I made it a few years after my arrival in Darwin and it has caught literally hundreds of Barra including a 103 cm model from Corroboree Billabong plus heaps in the high 80's and 90's. In the early days it had polyurethane as it's final clear coat, it's been upgraded with epoxy in recent times. It's one of those rare lures that catch fish every time it's tied on....consequently it doesn't get wet very often cause I'm scared of loosing it!
I've tried many times to replicate it's action but have never enjoyed the same success from it's clones.

Blinky.

Blinky's Lures.
The lures that catch fish, not fishermen.........
Facebook
hooknose View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hooknose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2015 at 11:45am
Real nice lures Blinky, worth digging them out that's for sure
cheers Steve r
MAN I LOVE FISHING ! ! !
Raffey View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raffey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2015 at 12:37pm
Nice Blinky.

The bleeding mullet looks a bit deeper in the body than the others, or is it the camera angle?

Cheers,

Danny.
Echo Lures
Blinky View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Blinky's Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blinky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2015 at 1:00pm
Originally posted by Raffey Raffey wrote:

Nice Blinky.

The bleeding mullet looks a bit deeper in the body than the others, or is it the camera angle?

Cheers,

Danny.

It has a few subtle differences from the others, body deeper , nose a bit more square, arse end a bit thicker......the lump of wood it came from is more than likely the key......
Blinky.

Blinky's Lures.
Facebook
Steve B View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2015 at 12:18am
Nice, must check a couple I have .
Cheers Steve
Davent View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2015 at 1:12am
Nice, blinky, did a shop at the airport in the late 80, s early 90, s sell your lures, I reckon I bought 2 at the airport on kangaroo 92 when I was a young soldier, top lures and were deadly on big flathead at honeymoon bay, and I mean big flattys!
Atheism is a non prophet organisation
Blinky View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Blinky's Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blinky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2015 at 7:39am
Thanks Dave. At the airport.......not that I know of, (unless one of the shop owners had bought some and stuck them on their shelf) the only shop that stocked them in Darwin was BABS Tackle which used to be at the Moil shops, they were also in Katherine, Cairns, Broome and Kununnurra.
Blinky.

Blinky's Lures.
Facebook
Strangalures View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strangalures Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2015 at 11:43pm
I've got some here I brought from a second hand shop that match the bottom left ones Blinky , I'll try and get the picks up they have a great action
Cheers Rick
Fish Choking Lures :)
Seaweed View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
née Capt.Seaweed

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seaweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2016 at 4:10pm
BABS tackle, now that's going back. Think it was run by Col Roberts and his mate, the BABS was short for Billfish and Bait. Little bit pretentious don't you think LOL, they maintained the only two fish worthy. Wonder why they bothered stocking barra lures Confused.
I picked-up one of your's from DeWith in Katherine.
Seaweed.
"Always Merry and Bright"
Blinky View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Blinky's Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blinky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2016 at 5:21pm
It was owned and operated by Brent Boswell, whose middle initial was A hence the BABs. Col Roberts had already relocated to Broome when BABs was running. Brent was a top bloke, always willing to share info, a rare quality amongst tournament anglers.............he was a huge help to our team when we fished our first Barra Classic in '87.
Blinky.

Blinky's Lures.
Facebook
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic