Forum Home Forum Home > Australian Lures > QLD Lures > Eddy Lures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Original Eddy Dam Buster help

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

JD/Eddy Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JD LURES Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Original Eddy Dam Buster help
    Posted: 04 Jul 2012 at 5:43pm
Hi everyone

Need some help.
Ive re built the old Eddy Dam Buster with dolls eyes and metal bibs.
Now when getting all the bits and pieces re made I encountered a problem in that I could not get the same thickness in the zinc bibs as they didnt make it that size any more.
I had to go up a size in thickness as going down was way to flimsy.
This made them slightly heavier so I adjusted the bouyancy level in the lure to suit but they still sink ????
I asked the guys at Lively Lures who used to make the old ones about this and they said the old ones were very close to nuetral bouyant anyway.
Im just wondering if any of you guys out there that used them can tell if they are floating or sinking.

Any help would be appreciated, they have come up really well apart from this one problem.
Cheers
JD
Aussbasstony View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussbasstony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2012 at 6:09pm
Mine floats well and truly .
bluey View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2012 at 6:41pm
mine float head down arse upLOL ready to  dive

regards George
JD LURES View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

JD/Eddy Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD LURES Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2012 at 6:45pm
Thanks guys

Back to the drawing board then as I want them exact.

JD
Darby View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fishaholic Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2012 at 8:27pm
Jamie, been a while since I've swum one, but they did float albeit slightly head down as George said.

Brad
"If you are going to have fun with your rod.. get some wood

goldtrev68 View Drop Down
Ex Member.
Ex Member.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goldtrev68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2012 at 8:59pm
yes head down askem up,,as I recall,,,Gary
JD LURES View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

JD/Eddy Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD LURES Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2012 at 9:07pm
Might level out if I substitute the zinc bibs for alloy.

Trouble being I have about 100 of these zinc ones now ConfusedLOL

JD
Darby View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fishaholic Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2012 at 10:11pm
Jamie,....Ermm I reckon you could sell them off easy enough with all these NQ lure makers around Thumbs Up
"If you are going to have fun with your rod.. get some wood

dalbykayakin View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Smick Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dalbykayakin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2012 at 1:06pm
mine have more bouiyancy than most other lures. they nearly jump an inch out of the water when you stop retreiving them
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2012 at 1:27pm
,ive found when restoring some old Darwin darts that the galvanised bibs
were the same thickness as the old 70 year old corrugated iron on my chook pen . maybe this is the case
with the stingers?.i can measure the thickness if that helps Jamie
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2012 at 2:19pm
looks like .046 mm Jamie my verniers are a bit worn so it could be just a tad more
Nicho View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Nichos Maulers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2012 at 3:51pm
mine are old yellow glass eyed, metal bib.....they sink slowly head down.
Nichos Maulers Homemade timber lures....THEY CATCH FISH!

YA DONT KNOW...IF YA DONT GO...SO GET OUT THERE AND... FISH IT
JD LURES View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

JD/Eddy Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD LURES Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2012 at 7:41pm
Thanks for all the feedback guys

I was told by the team at Lively Lures that on occasion if the temperature was exceptionaly cool when moulding them that the wouldnt " Blow " quite as much and if rigged with heavier running gear they would sink slowly.
One of those variences that has been pretty much overcome nowdays with temp controled systems etc.

I would think judging by the old Dam Buster I had to work from that the original material was about 0.6 to 0.8mm thick. Closest I can get now is 0.5 that I thought was to flimsy and 1mm that obviously was a bit heavy but strong.
 I am getting some alloy sample bibs cut in 1mm so I hope this brings the ballance back somewhat.

Failing that I will have to try 0.5mm metal of some description.

I have completed the 90mm Stinger and have had no trouble with that one at all.

Cheers
JD

puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2012 at 8:00pm
yeah thats probably right about the poly not foaming out as much in colder times ,in summer the problems are the opposite with them having too much bouyancy and when its humid they look more like aero bars than luresLOL.just a thought but did you measure a painted bib or a raw steel one? theres probably a .015to .02 mm difference between painted and unpainted.just a thought
JD LURES View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

JD/Eddy Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD LURES Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2012 at 8:46pm
The problem I had with the original Dam Buster sample Puglee was the bib was rusted a fair bit and only served as a template for the laser cutters to run the new ones off.
Its a bit hard to get an exact measure but as long as I can get them strong enough, floating and with that nice head down swimming action found with metal bibbed lures it will be as clsoe as I can get to the original.
Im only doing them in lmited numbers, metal bibs cut at the laser cutters now are pricyShocked

JD
handbrake View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handbrake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2012 at 9:12pm
Please keep me in mind if you are planning on launching a new /old set of Eddy's.
dalbykayakin View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Smick Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dalbykayakin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2012 at 9:12pm
Is the eyes on the stinger bigger than the original than the original stingers?
Lookin good
JD LURES View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

JD/Eddy Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JD LURES Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2012 at 9:22pm
Seemed the eyes were about the same size as the original mate.
Hard to say given that they are the modern day version I guess but they would be very close.

I have around 100 Stingers ready to be painted up and sold.
There not cheap as the components to make them now and in low numbers are not cheap either.
I would have to ask $16.00 each for the Stingers and $17.50 each for a Dam Buster.
Not the best pic but this is where im at with it.

JD

puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2012 at 7:09am
that sounds fair enough and these are a special lure after allThumbs Up
JD LURES View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

JD/Eddy Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD LURES Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2012 at 7:22pm

Problem solved.

Alloy bibs did the trick, evened out the weight difference and they are now sitting and floating nicely.

JD  

mishka68 View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mishka68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2014 at 6:28pm
Bought an old tackle box from garage sale,found a old dam buster dolls eye( good nick) and floppy's in perfect condition (plastic) but not in box.how much is dam buster worth and floppy's worth if I decide to sell.ps mishka.thanks
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic