LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Lure Making > Make your own Fishing Lures > Questions and Tips re carving your own fishing lures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Paint Cracking off Jetulong

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Paint Cracking off Jetulong
    Posted: 01 Jan 2017 at 7:10am
Painted a lure that was made from Jetulong and half an hour in water and paint starts cracking ! Anyone else had problems with this wood ?
I like pretty painted sticks
rally44 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Lee's Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rally44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2017 at 7:35am
No Jeff, its a very good lure making timber. What did you seal it with?? Cheers Richard Happy New Year!
Dads in the shed making saw-dust again.
Mr Viper View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Viper Lures (Still Young)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr Viper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2017 at 7:44am
There lies the problem (thank you Richard) Jeff , any pin hole or crack in the paint will let water into the structure thus swelling the timber and the paint cracking and peeling. Seal the timber with a sanding sealer or two pac sealer before painting, available at any paint outlet, hope this helps.
Fishing ??? Lets do it !!!!!!!!!!
Jeff View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2017 at 8:36am
It wasnt sealed .I have never sealed any of my lures , they are made of Red Cedar and they dont crack paint . My first ones made of pine had same problem .
 What product do you guys use ?
Mr Viper View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr Viper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2017 at 10:27am
Bunnings have a "Dulux" product Feast Watson which is a sanding sealer and if you go to Dulux they have a two pac sealer called Norseal , a bit expensive but well worth the end result
horrorhead View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLover of the Year 2020

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2017 at 10:31am
Norseal??? isn't that their product for timber boat building?
Martin-

you don't havta be pretty to fish
Mr Viper View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr Viper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2017 at 10:36am
YES Martin , it is a very useful product especially for Nudes,"Shhhhhhh"
horrorhead View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLover of the Year 2020

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2017 at 10:40am
SHHHHH, I won't say anything ......
Martin-

you don't havta be pretty to fish
Powelly View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Powell Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Powelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2017 at 11:16am
Originally posted by Jeff Jeff wrote:

It wasnt sealed .I have never sealed any of my lures , they are made of Red Cedar and they dont crack paint . My first ones made of pine had same problem .
 What product do you guys use ?

Aus Red Cedar, White Beech and Brown Beech (as well as some Tassie timbers) are are all fairly water stable, which is why they were traditionally used for lure making.

Peter Newell and I played around with Jelutong in the early 90's and had the same cracking problems, so we went off using it.  

Most of Peter's later lures were made from Jelutong, presumably after he found a suitable sealer.

Should be plenty of old cedar around Gulgong.  

Beer

Travers
rodsncods View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rodsncods Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2017 at 11:44am
everdure is an international brand product, timber preserver and sealer. can be painted. any of you lure makers heard of or used it?.........mick
BEER IS PROOF THAT GOD LOVES US AND WANTS US TO BE HAPPY!!!
bassnbob View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
B.O.B Timber Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassnbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2017 at 11:52am
I use and love the sellys timber sealer works a treat if ya can still find it in older hardware storesWinkBig smileBig smileBig smileregards bob
Jeff View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2017 at 12:45pm
Thanks fellas Big smile
Fysshe Salmon View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Fysshe Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fysshe Salmon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2017 at 12:46pm
Mick, I have used Everdure now for a number of years and find it very good.
Fysshe
Seaweed View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
née Capt.Seaweed

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seaweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2017 at 3:32pm
Travers, I think Rob Gaden had the same trouble with Jetulong. I remember having a couple of his Rellik Doc Barra's and the paint lifted off in sheets, not just cracks. Maybe he too started sealing or changing timber later.
Seaweed.
"Always Merry and Bright"
bilge View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Bill Jackson Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bilge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2017 at 2:32am
I am using Everdure as a sealer now on jelutong which is very oily. I also am using it to seal over self adhesive reflective panels to seal edges so that subsequent acrylic clear doesnt cause the panels to lift.
It brushes well with a glossy finish and is somewhat self leveling. I can then spray with acrylic clear to get a good finish. It is a 2 pack. I am using jelutong for through wired poppers and sliders as I dont like using it for minnows. Had problems with the rear hook hangers on several so stopped using it
Billj
The older I get the more I learn.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic