LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Lure Making > Make your own Fishing Lures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

paint polishing ?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lycan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: paint polishing ?
    Posted: 17 Jun 2018 at 7:53pm
Ok tried first time air brushing today under all the worst conditions, 15 degrees, drizzling rain and using very old paint.

1. Problem one was some colours dulled during drying which I assume is from absorbing ambient moisture - Doh

2. Some of the scale patterns have slightly raised edges along sides of scales, so am thinking either paint was too thick, or didn't allow enough time between coats - Doh x 2

Will lightly buffing / polishing the lures prior to clear coating help in any way, or am I better off going back to square one ??

For someone who has some inspirational moments, I still do have some truly dumb moments.

Any feedback would be appreciated.
Steve
Living outside of the square means never having to sit in the corner
Lure-Nut View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder

Tonk Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lure-Nut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2018 at 9:50pm
Mate, if the humidity is above 60% don't bother trying, as there is too much moisture in the air Thumbs Up

Cheers

Rob
Tonk Lures
Lycan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lycan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2018 at 9:54pm
Hi Rob,

I kinda thought it wouldn't end well, but was hoping for the impossible.

Valuable lesson learnt, so wont get much painting done now for the next few months as winter has arrived big time here.

Months of modifications and when finally ready produce a finished product - Mother nature shoots me down.

Thansk
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2018 at 9:34am
Rob is Right steve dont paint when its too cold or too hot and definately not when its rainingLOL .That whiteness you get on your paint is called blushing and a lot of the time it'll disapear when you put cl;ear over it(but not always).the raised eges on your scale pattern are caused when you lift the stencil away after painting ,because the paint has'nt set properly the edges will lift because they're not dry yet ,also you've probably sprayed the scales with too much paint (you only need a light dust of paint for scales).
  now,to fix your problem you have to put on a couple of coats of clear when the weather is better,if the scales are still raised give it a light sand with 600 wet and dry and give it another coat of clear .
                                                                                            hope this helpsThumbs Up
that's no how ye make porridge!
Lycan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lycan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2018 at 7:21pm
Will try a clear coat on one when can actually get home before dark, and its not cold & wet.

Geez, here I was thinking designing was the hard part and painting wouldn't cause me any grief - How bloody wrong I was.

Thanks for those taking the time out to reply.

Steve
MadDogLures View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Mad Dog Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadDogLures Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2018 at 7:28pm
Sometimes you can't win at all bloody weatherLOL
Life is fishing!
Lycan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lycan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2018 at 7:37pm
Well it had to happen,

Worked from sun up till sun down today, and you guessed it, not a cloud in the sky, no wind, mild temperature

Be painting with bloody textas at this rate, probably be snowing by the weekend.

Steve
Powelly View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Powell Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Powelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2018 at 10:29pm
Steve, you must be using Acrylic Lacquer if the humidity is affecting the paint. You can get rid of the blushing with a light spray of thinners, when the humidity is lower (below 60%).

Because Acrylic Lacquer flashes (dries) so quickly, it gets very cold and the humidity moisture condenses in the paint, causing the blushing. The light spray of thinners will re-melt (???) the paint allowing the moisture to escape, provided that the humidity is low and it's warm.

I find that black and clear are the worst, if the humidity is above 60%.

At least, this time of the year, the Westerlies are blowing nice dry, inland air so the humidity is generally low.

Good luck with the painting.

Travers
rally44 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Lee's Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rally44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2018 at 9:57am
Steve & Travers, I`ve had this problem with Reds,Blacks & Clears in acrylic lacquers , used a light spray of slower thinners "Retarder" . Gets rid of the Blushing. Good luck. Cheers Richard.
Dads in the shed making saw-dust again.
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2018 at 12:57pm
Originally posted by rally44 rally44 wrote:

Steve & Travers, I`ve had this problem with Reds,Blacks & Clears in acrylic lacquers , used a light spray of slower thinners "Retarder" . Gets rid of the Blushing. Good luck. Cheers Richard.
ive never heard of that one cheers RichardThumbs Up
rally44 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Lee's Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rally44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2018 at 1:16pm
It works Chris! Was acvised of this tip years ago by Dave Killalea. Apparently thinners comes in 3 speeds! Cheers Richard
Dads in the shed making saw-dust again.
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2018 at 4:49pm
Originally posted by rally44 rally44 wrote:

It works Chris! Was acvised of this tip years ago by Dave Killalea. Apparently thinners comes in 3 speeds! Cheers Richard
a bloke i know who is a panel beater told me of accelerants and retarders that he put in his paint but i never knew there was a retarder thinnerLOL,it makes sense though i guess
Lycan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lycan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2018 at 8:19pm
Might have to call into the local panel shop and see what thinners he has available.

Lots of helpful tips from you all - Thanks
Powelly View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Powell Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Powelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2018 at 7:37am
You can buy the retarder thinners to add to the thinners. Then use the retarded thinners to thin the paints. It slows the drying time, so the flashing doesn't make the paint cold enough for water to condense into it.

http://www.conceptpaints.com.au/TDS/Unique%20Acrylic%20Clear.pdf

Beer

Travers

Lycan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lycan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2018 at 10:05pm
Hi Travers,

Thanks for the tip.

Apparently as of next week I am going back onto rotating shift work ( kinda sucks ), but at least might get some painting done.

Steve
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic