LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Lure Making > The Luremakers Shed
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Painting Jig

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Scurvy Dog Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Balls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Painting Jig
    Posted: 10 Jan 2012 at 3:53pm
G’day all
This is one of the jigs I use for painting my lures, not sure if the photos are good enough to be self explanatory, basically the external frame is made from 20 x 20mm gal, the two left & the two right hand side uprights are welded to the top section, the left & the right hand side uprights are also spaced apart to allow a 6mm metal thread or similar to fit in between the two sections, the threads are fitted with wing nuts so you can slide them up & down to suit location of aluminium angles that hold the lures in place. The main frame is bolted through the middle of the two 20x20 sections (sleeve in the middle to retain 6mm gap) to an L shaped brackets which you screw or bolt to your work area, this allows the frame to rotate 360 degrees if required, more then likely you will only pivot it enough to suit your technique.
I have used the rectangular section from aluminium fly screen windows to produce lengths that I attach my lures too via circular aluminium rod with a metal thread epoxied in the end (the metal thread are made of the little circular screw eyes used in curtain rods-just straightened out, drilled into the aluminium rod & glued with epoxy), just set out the distance you want your lures spaced, drill the bottom hole to suit the smaller metal thread, the top hole is drilled to suit the larger diameter aluminium rod, this allows them just to sit inside the rectangular section which allows them to be rotated 360 degrees while spraying. I have a heap of them made up so you can basically spray as many lures as you like & just keep removing the sprayed rack & replace with another one ready to go, using this method requires the rear eyelet glued in at a later stage, you could also modify the metal thread to have a clamp or clip to hold the lure, but it would have to be of reasonable strength & quality.
I cut short lengths of aluminium angle which the metal thread & wing nuts hold in position on the main frame, I generally have two sets on the frame while spraying, they can be easily slid up or down the frame to suit the size of your lures, a pin holds the fly screen section in place so you don’t accidentally knock it off.
I also made a lot heavier attachment that taps into the top frame & also has a lot heavier gauge metal thread & alloy rod, I use this when I am spraying Bird teasers, Witch Doctors etc & both require a bit more support & room to work with, hope it helps someone out, if the photos/explanation aren’t enough let me know & I will try for some better photos, cheers Balls.
Scurvy Dog
Mcleod View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder

Macquarie Customs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mcleod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2012 at 5:06pm
Balls, interesting setup. I can see how it would improve production of multiple lures.

Angus
Tincan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tincan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2012 at 10:53pm
Nice setup, when are we going to see some of those lures in your setup.

Tincan
You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2012 at 11:02pm
thatsa good set up balls i see your a fan of the womens weakly tooLOLThumbs Up
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic