LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > International Lures > European Fishing Lures > U.K. Lures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

pics of lures

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
LureLovers.com Guide
LureLovers.com Guide
Beta Tester

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CaptainCranky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: pics of lures
    Posted: 11 May 2011 at 12:04pm

The Journey is the Reward

Screamingreel View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2011 at 2:58pm
Nice Barry

Some very old lures there . Interesting how the wire is attached.

regards John

Kelly Boy View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kelly Boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2011 at 7:13am
Hello Barry,

Nice lures, do you need any more info on any ? Some are Hardy, some are Allcock or Bartleet (Milward). Can you tell me is the first (top) mount that you showed stamped Hardy ? It may be a later one marketed by another company like Westley Richards. Either way, nice to see them.
Cheers, Mike.
CaptainCranky View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Guide
LureLovers.com Guide
Beta Tester

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CaptainCranky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2011 at 7:16am
Mike I tried to take a pic of the stamp but the camera operator was not up to the task.The top lure is stamped Hardy on top of one of the little blades that make it spin.

Kelly Boy View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kelly Boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2011 at 7:37am
Hello Barry,
Hardy started marketing those "Crocs" around 1894. I suspect that you knew that anyway. John is totally correct, it is always interesting to see how the hooks are connected to the mounts, sometimes the mounting configuration is a rare find. Yours has been noted on "copies" from the 1920s. It is a nice item.

Cheers, Mike.
CaptainCranky View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Guide
LureLovers.com Guide
Beta Tester

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CaptainCranky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2011 at 8:21am
Thanks Mike I will keep an eye out for other goodies.

Kelly Boy View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kelly Boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2011 at 9:32am
Hello Barry,
It was my pleasure. I hope that I have helped you.
If anyone has any old British Baits and they want advice on or would like to sell then please let me know. I am not so keen on Hardy or Farlow but Allcock/Bartleet/Milward/Geens/Gregory will always float my boat. Names like Peel/Wilkes/Vale I am particularly interested in.
Cheers, Mike. 
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2011 at 1:08pm
Barry  and  Mike

Have this spinner a lot later in age.  Stamped Milward on top of lure . Thought it may have come out after WW 11
Aluminium  (maybe)

Has an internal core at the front, but does not appear to appear at the rear ,which maybe how the wings were placed in the lure.

,I can turn one wing and the wing on the other side moves as well. Not keen to put to much pressure on it, but because of the width of the blades would not pull through.

Not sure if there was a Milward manufacturer in Australia .

I originally  thought it might be threaded, if not ,some precision machining has been achieved to get such a tight fit.

Maybe you have one or know a bit more about it  7.5cm long quite large for a spinner  ( for  Lake or Loch fishing?)

Not sure if I have an insert for it.

regards John
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2011 at 1:11pm
Kelly Boy View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kelly Boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2011 at 4:42am
Hello John,
The Devon is known as an adjustable fin minnow. I was originally patented in the U.K. in 1889 by H. L. Inskip. Later versions were sold by Hardy and later still by Milwards of Redditch although I am unsure when that was. These are a few of mine -

Cheers, Mike.

LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2011 at 7:26am
Thanks Mike

Solved the problem on I D.

I believe I do have the insert.  No trace of paint on my lure I presume silver ones were also sold.

Thanks for posting
Regards John
Kelly Boy View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kelly Boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2011 at 7:38am
Hello John,
Yes the silver ones probably pre-date my little collection. The info which I gave you comes from a book called "The Best of British Baits". It was written by our best known collector, Chris Sandford. In his book he talks about the adjustable fin minnows and he shows one just like yours, but with a mount. His lure was Aluminium.

I hope this helps.

Cheers, Mike.
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2011 at 7:51am
Thanks Mike
I thought mine  may have been Aluminium

Any idea how the wings are placed into the lure ,are they screwed from either side. The tricky bit is they both move when adjusting one side.

Just measured the blade and it is slightly larger , So does not appear to have been passed through.

Mine has an insert at the front thought that may have some bearing on the design.

Very well made

Regards John
Kelly Boy View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kelly Boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2011 at 7:58am
Hello John,
Sorry I have no idea how the "internals" are supposed to work, I have never de-constructed a bait to find out. I understand the idea from a fishing point of view (line twist reduction) but not from an engineering position. maybe I will dig out an uncarded one and have a go ? Meanwhile if anyone else knows please let us know.
Cheers, Mike.
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2011 at 8:08am
Mike

Just such precision engineering, very tight fit impressive design.

regards John
Kelly Boy View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kelly Boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2011 at 6:49am
Hey Barry,
I have this great postman, he gave me this one today
Have you got any others to show ?

Cheers, Mike.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic