LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Lure Discussion > Fishing with Lures > Favourite Lure by species
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

PNG Black Bass

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeprox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: PNG Black Bass
    Posted: 29 Jan 2016 at 10:51am
A couple of mates and I have booked a week in New Britain chasing these bruisers for early September. We're loaded for bear in the baitcaster rod, reel and line department. The last thing I want is to be let down by a lure coming unstuck.

I might be wrong, but I'm thinking I need 6 inch minnows and surface walkers/ poppers with continuous wire from tow point to hooks.

Any advice on:
a. Making my own
b. Buying well considered lures off one of you guys/ lure makers.
c. Any experience on what works and what doesn't at Baia Lodge

If any-one has been there and isn't likely to be going back, happy to talk about buying what lures you have that did the trick. I know that's an outside chance but thought I'd ask.

Many thanks

Jeff
Jeprox View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeprox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2016 at 10:55am
Should have mentioned that I have a wood lathe, so poppers may become a project anyway
Ducks View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ducks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2016 at 12:27pm
From what I have seen when doing research, I think the most widely recommended lure over there seems to be the Halco Scorp 125, in medium-deep.  Although I have a suspicion the actual model/depth they recommend is either out of production or extremely hard to get.

Josh (I think he's a member here but not super active) has done consistently well on Mark-A-Lures in 3 trips (river trips - not the lodge though) over the last 18 months or so.  Mark or Josh will be able to tell you the specifics better than me but I think it was mostly on his scorpion shape made with through wires as well.
Seaweed View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
née Capt.Seaweed

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seaweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2016 at 3:37pm
Send a PM to Wayne Baldwin (Balls on LL), he's your man. I know at present he's making timber lures for a PNG trip coming up in May, where he will be guiding at Bensbach. I'm sure Wayne will give you advice on what's best, he may even sell you whatever's left after the May trip, if any are left LOL.
Seaweed.
"Always Merry and Bright"
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2016 at 3:48pm
captain cranky would be a good one to ask for advice too
that's no how ye make porridge!
Fysshe Salmon View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Fysshe Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fysshe Salmon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2016 at 4:13pm
And Simon Bruce also, he's posted a couple of good reports in the "Fishing Reports" section... Thumbs Up
Fysshe
CaptainCranky View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Guide
LureLovers.com Guide
Beta Tester

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CaptainCranky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2016 at 5:19pm
I tend to use Timber Aussie Lures when I am up there.
Some great makers on here that have experience making serious Lures for PNG Bass.
Wayne Baldwin(Scurvy Dog Lures)
Tom and Nat Barret (Gidgee Lures)
Anthony Barnard (Deep River Lures)
Rob Dunn (Tonk Lures)
Ian Salmon (Fysshe Lures)
There is a start however there are many more makers on here that would make some terrific lures for your trip and be more than happy to do so.
The Journey is the Reward

Seaweed View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
née Capt.Seaweed

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seaweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2016 at 11:06am
Saw Wayne yesterday, said he'd be pleased to assist re lures, contact him on his Email, uses the work computer to access LL and has been having trouble receiving PM's, may be something to do with the NT Gov. blocking software?
Seaweed.
Nicho View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Nichos Maulers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2016 at 11:17am
Mmmm black bass
sounds like a dream trip....yes im jealous.
Nichos Maulers Homemade timber lures....THEY CATCH FISH!

YA DONT KNOW...IF YA DONT GO...SO GET OUT THERE AND... FISH IT
Lure-Nut View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder

Tonk Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lure-Nut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2016 at 3:22pm
Hi Jeff, more than happy to assist with a Tonk or two that have been successful on a couple of recent trips to PNG Thumbs Up 

Cheers

Rob
Tonk Lures
Jeprox View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeprox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2016 at 10:35pm
Rob,
Can't even work out how to PM on here. If you get a chance please text your contact details to 0421 754756.

Thanks

Jeff
Josh84 View Drop Down
Beginner Member
Beginner Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Josh84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2016 at 8:58pm
Yep as Ducks mentioned the Scorp has been my go to on the past 3 trip there, initially ran the halco 3 5 & 8m bibs but the last 2 trips were predominately Mark A Lures Scorp 12's. I got fish on his Barra Pops also, through wire is almost a necessity, I do trust the halco system though and have landed up to 41lb with no bib or tow point issues, ST-66 are the only hooks I'll run outside of singles, a decent bass will laugh at any other hook lol. Mr Bruce is on the money with the other Aussie manufacturers also
Jeprox View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeprox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2016 at 2:44pm
Thanks Gents,
You have been most helpful. Unfortunately I'm useless at sending PMs (No bloody idea)so I've been unable to reach out to the suggested lure makers other than Wayne Baldwin. If they're inclined, I'd be grateful if any of those people would text me some contact detail on 0421 754756

Jeff
Ducks View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ducks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2016 at 3:01pm
Jeff there is a pinned thread in the welcome area (I think) regarding access to classifieds and pms.
Unfortunately Tony had to introduce some measures to combat 1) spambots and 2) tosspots.
Hopefully a few if the guys are this and contact you directly but if you want to pm that's the way to go.
Jeprox View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeprox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2016 at 7:03pm
Thanks Ducks. I'll have a crack at it
Jeprox View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeprox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2016 at 11:47am
Thanks to all for advice on getting me access to PMs and your advice on lure makers. Now I can PM, I'll be in touch with those recommended.

Thanks also to the Site Owner for the permissions

Jeff
Jeprox View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeprox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2016 at 12:33pm
Originally posted by Capt.Seaweed Capt.Seaweed wrote:

Saw Wayne yesterday, said he'd be pleased to assist re lures, contact him on his Email, uses the work computer to access LL and has been having trouble receiving PM's, may be something to do with the NT Gov. blocking software?

Seaweed.

Seaweed,
Took a run at that email address but it bounced back. Thanks anyway. I'll send Wayne a PM and hopefully it will get through.

Jeff
Seaweed View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
née Capt.Seaweed

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seaweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2016 at 2:19pm
Double checked, this Email address correct, in fact Emailed him yesterday about some timber I found him down here in NSW. He replied back, all OK Confused.
Seaweed.
Jeprox View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeprox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2016 at 3:18pm
Got me buggered. I just tried again with this bouncing back at me:

wayne.baldwin@nt.gov.au
Your message wasn't delivered due to a permission or security issue. It may have been rejected by a moderator, the address may only accept e-mail from certain senders, or another restriction may be preventing delivery.

The following organization rejected your message: emdch-mx31.nt.gov.au.

All good anyway. I've spoken to Wayne on his mobile and he's filled my empty old head with all sorts of ideas.

Thanks

Jeff
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic