LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Lure Making > Make your own Fishing Lures > Lure Making Articles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Polycarbonate stress test

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Rayna Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hazmail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Polycarbonate stress test
    Posted: 04 Oct 2013 at 2:51pm
In homage to Pearcey's post 'Multigrip test' which I just read, coincidentally this morning I decided to test  some 1mm polycarbonate bibs to see what the sheer strength would be, as I am thinking of using a bib as a tow point on a new lure.
The poly bib blanks (2) were 1mm thick, I drilled a 2.5mm hole at each end, one 3mm from the edge and one 4mm from the opposing edge and hung it with 2mm wire from the shed roof with a digital scale and 20 bucket hanging off it.
 The first one I tested with a length of railway line (7 kg ) in the bucket then filled the bucket with water with water, total was about 29kg--- as I got to near full, the hole (3mm from edge) began to elongate so I quickly rescued the bib before I got a bath.
The second bib, hung in the same way but without the railway line, and gradually filled again with about 20l of water (total weight (22kg), resulting in a very slight elongation again of the 3mm edge hole but all remained in tact for about 15 minutes so I removed it.
Nothing like Pearcey's test with the bamboo pegs but handy to know how strong this polycarbonate is, so I figure I will give it a try as I rarely use line over about 6kg and I don't think I have a rod (other than beach) that would go near 22kg.
Pete

'RAYNA' ---Free Range Lures
peterayn@yahoo.com.au
Nicho View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Nichos Maulers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2013 at 7:30pm
interesting pete.....I trust the poly....I figure line class will break before any bib except in extreme circumstances...oh to be retired and play with these things.Wink
Nichos Maulers Homemade timber lures....THEY CATCH FISH!

YA DONT KNOW...IF YA DONT GO...SO GET OUT THERE AND... FISH IT
Mal Vader View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mal Vader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2013 at 9:40pm
Let it take 9 boys under 14 y/o fishing, that will stress test the best of us!!!
I trust the luremakers, basically if I had a failure(has never happened), I'd be letting them know.
DARK LORD
In Space, no-one can hear you SCREAM!
Mcleod View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder

Macquarie Customs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mcleod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2013 at 11:49pm
Pete, nice work as usual. Very ingesting to see the result. Given the line class you fishing sounds like she will be sweet.

Angus
Balls View Drop Down

Scurvy Dog Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Balls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2013 at 11:52am
G'day Pete/All

I use 1mm Polycarbonate on all of my small lures that I use in Darwin Harbour & similar areas in the NT for Barra + other bi catch species. Although most of the lures aren't bib towed I have found the 1mm better for the small lure action, easier bib slotting because the scroll saw cut accepts the 1mm Polycarbonate bib.

I found using the heavier Polycarbonate often resulted in the 1.5/2mm being cleanly snapped when inhaled in the initial crack that Barra have the ability to do when imploding food.

I primarily use braid & have had no issues with the 1mm Polycarbonate & tagged a lot of class Barra. I have used the 1mm with some lures that I tow off the bib, no dramas with them either but I use them a lot less then the others & I twist the wire, bend at right angles & mount thru the single hole in the bib like the ones I sent you, even if the bib failed I would land the fish.

One of the other bonuses with 1mm Polycarbonate is you can purchase a product from Bunnings called Suntuff(I think), its Polycarbobate corrugated roof product, pre curved 1mm Polycarbonte bibs once you cut them out to desired shape. its not that expensive considering the amount of bibs you can cut from the sheet, easy to cut with cutters, punches etc.

Personally Iwouldn't use the 1mm once I was using bigger bibs, cheers Balls.
Scurvy Dog
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic