LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Lure Making > The Luremakers Shed
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

polycrylic

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beer-breath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: polycrylic
    Posted: 25 Apr 2017 at 5:12am
does anyone use polycrylic by minwax? I see a few guys on youtube videos using it and saying it's great. I was originally using it, before I learned more about making lures and getting better at it.
I was having certain problems with my lures at first, and I changed multiple things I was doing then. I was blaming my coating as well. but I think my main culprit was that my wood still had moisture, and expansion/contraction was the real problem. the main problem was that my coatings would crack. I was assuming it was from maybe too cold of water or maybe pressure from deep water. I think it was wood moisture content though. just coincidentally I changed multiple things all at once when trying to troubleshoot/rectify the problem. I found e-tex, I started using wood-hardener, plus chose fully-dried wood.
so, perhaps the polycrylic was fine enough? I don't know. I know it's much cheaper. but I don't recall it being UV resistant, which would be an issue for sure. i'm loving the e-tex and probably wouldn't change to anything else now anyway.
beer-breath View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beer-breath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2017 at 9:52am
I actually found my can of it today. no mention anywhere of it being UV resistant. pretty sure that if it was, they would mention that, as that would be a pretty important characteristic. i'm surprised at how many guys are using it for their lure coatings. I mean, I did also, at first, when I had no clue of proper methods or anything.
Doc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2017 at 2:54pm
Had a look at the MSDS, and the solids in that stuff is 29% or less. So shrinkage must be huge and what's left over has an SG (specific gravity) of 1.03 when it should be around 1.14 to 1.2 for acrylic so we have 0.1 sg missing I would say that these are channels left behind when the volatiles escaped meaning that this would let the timber breath when cured although liquid water can not enter through these hole water vapor can hence cracking of your coating from your timbers expansion and contraction from moisture add to that the low SG I would definitely say this stuff is for indoor use only.
The Water Based Oil-Modified Polyurethane is worse, But PU higher elasticity may help with not cracking. PU is sensitive to UV and may yellow a bit but little effect to its properties 
Doc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2017 at 3:10pm
OH Acylic is 95% of the time is UV resistant, the plastic windscreens on boats you see cracked and crazed is from stress cracking and thermo cycling because boat makers dont thermo form sand radius and polish the edges Those spiffy little screens on bass boats are half as thick last for ages
beer-breath View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beer-breath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2017 at 3:42am
interesting stuff, doc. I think some guys are using it simply because it's faster and easier to just open the can and brush it on. and it will look perfectly fine when dry, to the eye. but it's not going to remain that way over time and exposure. it's an interior finish and isn't intended for outdoor use, so it's quite a waste using it on lures(unless of course they are just intended for mounting on a wall for show, maybe). I made this mistake(using this stuff) when I was just starting and didn't know much. but I quickly learned it wasn't right, and I switched to a helman's outdoor product that was "supposed" to be non-yellowing. but it too wasn't ideal and I found it totally yellowed and cracked. these products aren't designed for lures that will be put through so much, depths(with pressure), temperatures and weather, scratchy stuff(like hooks and teeth), etc.
but it is cheap and simple to use, so I think that is why some people use it.(I know that's why I did, that, and I was simply lacking in product knowledge at the time)
Doc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2017 at 1:00am
If your making lures to catch fish then its all good. Life expectancy and coating are going to be worn off before yellowing cracking But if people are buying them for some artistic attributes then its to another coating say Northane a 2 pack nautical timber clear coat or some of the 2 pack epoxy paints like E-tex, 
I am working with a UV cure clear company at the moment but the samples have only been in there environments for 3 months and I'm not quite ready to say its all good yet One issue with it is the lamp needs to quite hi in intensity 150 Watts per inch. In sunlight 8 minutes exposure freezes in another 3 to 4 hours to cure between 10am to 12 noon On the good side it is twice as thick as honey and only $45AUD per liter

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic