LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Australian Lures > NSW Lures > Ron Davies
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

POPS - aka Ron Davies

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reel deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: POPS - aka Ron Davies
    Posted: 02 May 2011 at 4:30pm
I am pretty sure, Pop has been sitting on the side of this site for some time and being like the eye of Mordoor - seeing all.

Time for some of his earlier works of art to be revealed :

How is this for a marlin/tuna pusher head :

and then the dazzling school of barra sized divers :

Then the sikly oak nudie and Bass Bug from Hell in hot pink...

Well done Ronald - the quiet achiever...

wadey

www.reeldealfishing.com.au
RAVA View Drop Down
Industry Member
Industry Member
AkLures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RAVA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2011 at 10:11pm

Yes Wadey Ron makes a nice lure, most of those lures that you have there are over 20years old, that pusher is exceptional and he made only a few of them but they worked well according to the guys that used them. I have posted some of Ron's latest lures up here earlier this year his paint work is very well done and his lures are tuff as nails,ClapClapClap 

Fish hate me!!!

Cheers Gary
poodle View Drop Down
Beginner Member
Beginner Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote poodle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2011 at 10:16pm
wow they are awesome lures!!Thumbs Up
Nicho View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Nichos Maulers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2011 at 10:22pm
very nice old lures wadey ya lucky bugga!
And POP...well done mate, great work, luv em all.
Jas
Nichos Maulers Homemade timber lures....THEY CATCH FISH!

YA DONT KNOW...IF YA DONT GO...SO GET OUT THERE AND... FISH IT
MXB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MXB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2011 at 1:42pm
Great . . . thanks for showing. That wooden pusher head would have thrown a bubble trail.
A nice lot of lures

MXB
River Rover View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote River Rover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2011 at 2:35pm
Love Ron's lureshave been fishing with them for too many years to mention. They have traveled all over OZ with me and along with Ravas beauties make up a special part of my collection.
David
Tony View Drop Down
Admin
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2011 at 3:52pm
Very nice lures Wadey, thanks for posting them up Thumbs Up

Awesome work Ron! The barra lures look particularly yummy Clap

Cheers, Tony

For the love of Fishing Lures.
bassnbob View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
B.O.B Timber Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassnbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2011 at 4:02pm
VERY COOL WADEY the barra lures are sweet ClapClapClapClapBig smileregards bob
reel deal View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reel deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2011 at 11:33am
Met up Ron after many years when he and I were at Maitland 4wd show last weekend.

He casually pulled these two beauties out of his pocket and happy to report, they came home with meWink

Excellent shapes and hows that for a tow wire Confused

Thanks again Pops

wadey
reel deal View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reel deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2011 at 1:53pm
Well readers, I am again happy to report on my latest aquisitions from DDad...
Rava and I had the pleasure of visiting Ron is his man cave /workshop at Cessnock last weekend and the following shows just how innovation and forward thinking Ron was back in the late '70s & early 80's.

The different popper noses show what a little bit of thinking outside the square can produce.

and then we move on to some classics:

A couple of cupped poppers - one with added bling

then............
  •  A monster minnow that need 2 split rings to stay attached - hmmm methinks 200lb braid to troll !
  • a pair of balsie 4 " herring minnows
  • and 2 beautiful nudies carved out of burls - the man has hands of iron.

The man at work on a popper blank

some works in progress

yep - thats my big minnow 'at rest'.

Many thanks Ron, and a belated happy birthday for last week - hope the galway tawny went down well.

wadey the humble

RAVA View Drop Down
Industry Member
Industry Member
AkLures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RAVA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2011 at 8:47pm
Ron has a great shed and lots of gear that he knows how to use, it was good being there with Ron and Wadey Smile seeing Ron at work with his wood lathe and seeing the setup that he has. There was lots and lots of Ron's early lures and many of his current ones just laying around in bags and boxes, I loved it Heart it is one great cave and one very clever owner Clap well done Ron and thanks Wadey for sharing his cave.
Fish hate me!!!

Cheers Gary
simon bruce View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Guide
LureLovers.com Guide

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simon bruce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2011 at 8:49pm
Great report @reel dealClap

simon
Nicho View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Nichos Maulers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2011 at 9:05pm
tHATS A SHED ON MY VISITING LIST WITH THE HUNTER BOYS WHEN iM DOWN THAT WAY!!!!!!!!!!!
Great stuff wadey, and ron good on ya mate, some great ideas in your lures.......obviously made by a fisherman to catch fishThumbs UpClap

Jas

Powelly View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Powell Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Powelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2011 at 9:16pm
Originally posted by Nicho Nicho wrote:

tHATS A SHED ON MY VISITING LIST WITH THE HUNTER BOYS WHEN iM DOWN THAT WAY!!!!!!!!!!!
Great stuff wadey, and ron good on ya mate, some great ideas in your lures.......obviously made by a fisherman to catch fishThumbs UpClap

Jas

Pick me up your way, Jas.  I haven't been in the shed either!Cry

Wouldn't you just kill to have a shed, let alone a shed with all that gear in it!

Now I know why Ron makes such nice lures.  Well done Wadey, for exposing Ron's secrets.

Love your lures Ron. Thumbs Up

Cheers

Travers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote River Rover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2011 at 9:17am
Nice for you guys, but some of us have known about his great work for years and kept it to our selves now with Wadey in the shed the constant supply of surprises from Ron will be in greater demand. Just packed some of his lures to take to Ireland, Garfish lures to tempt pike, Will notr travel without Ron and Gary's lures, Have added some B.O.B. lures this trip
David
bassnbob View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
B.O.B Timber Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassnbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2011 at 9:42am
MR davies makes awsome lure found some new ones on my front door last week we will all have a bit of a get together in summer i reckon boys NICHO can buy the keg.....WinkWinkWinkBig smileBig smileBig smileBig smileClapClapregards bob
Nicho View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Nichos Maulers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2011 at 10:17am
You are the keg ROBERTOS.LOL

bassnbob View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
B.O.B Timber Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassnbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2011 at 10:21am
& YOU canplay the GOAT CUZWinkWinkLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLREGARDS BOB
RAVA View Drop Down
Industry Member
Industry Member
AkLures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RAVA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2011 at 7:23pm
Jas I would be happy to take you out to Ron's shed when you are down here mate we will grab Travers and Dave as well I know Ron is very happy for us to visit him Smile he is a gentleman, Bob if you can leave the goat behind buddy I will take you as well Wink
Fish hate me!!!

Cheers Gary
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2011 at 10:01pm
sounds like a good do Gary,ive gotta get down that way in the near future,so many great luremakers down that way.Ron your nudes are the best ive ever seen mate!ClapThumbs Up
Nicho View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Nichos Maulers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2011 at 10:12pm
they are great looking lures ron............and as chris said the natural colors are very nice.

Bob..............you are a worry...LOL
Jas

RAVA View Drop Down
Industry Member
Industry Member
AkLures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RAVA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2011 at 8:32am
Chris if you are coming down at some stage let me know and we will get the boys together Smile
Fish hate me!!!

Cheers Gary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote River Rover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2011 at 2:03pm
Hey Gary I can see a theme here we could organise the Hunter lure makers shed tour, Special discounts for Lurelover members, Throw in a few wineries and a fishing trip. That is the sort of work a bloke could really get into I think.

David
Nicho View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Nichos Maulers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2011 at 4:47pm
Ill be the bus driver for the northern counterparts. Will need someone to man the esky and pass me beers though.
Jas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote River Rover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2011 at 6:55pm
Jas bus driving is not like lure carving you cannot just add alcahol and see what happens well at least I think it is different!!!!
David
bassnbob View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
B.O.B Timber Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassnbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2014 at 2:57pm
VERY nice nudies ron we as lure makers can learn alot from this legend i tell yasLOLClapClapClapClapClapClapClapBig smileBig smileBig smileBig smileBig smileregards bob
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2014 at 6:56pm
that's for sure,i just looked at this thread again and I have to marvel at the talent of this great luremaker
that's no how ye make porridge!
bassnbob View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
B.O.B Timber Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassnbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2014 at 11:19am
AND he fishes like a DEMON chris he mad me look like a kid at glenbawn LOLLOLLOLLOLLOLClapClapClapClapClapregards bob
Nicho View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Nichos Maulers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2014 at 3:15pm
If ron made you look like a kid...hes a bloody
Magician.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic