LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Lure Making > Soft Plastics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

preventing bubbles in top down pour aluminum molds

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote senkosam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: preventing bubbles in top down pour aluminum molds
    Posted: 26 Apr 2013 at 10:02pm
The problem with many aluminum molds sold are the sprue holes are too shallow. For those not familiar with pouring top pours, the sprue it the space leading to the hole the plastic enters. If it's too shallow, plastic contracts up the side of the cavity creating a hollow bubble at the top 1/3 of the lure.
I found this very frustrating pouring Senko-like sticks.

Having been frustrated for years trying to solve the problem, I came across a mold made by Bear that had a long extended sprue cut into the aluminum. So I figured, why not extend the sprue? To do this I came up with the perfect solution - use a socket with a hole diameter that fits over the hole, but not too large such that the plastic leaks when the socket is full.

For the idea too work, the socket must end up full of hot plastic, even as it starts to draw down into the hole. 

Try it. It works!
Frank
Screamingreel View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2013 at 11:30pm
Interesting  Frank any chance of a photo

Thanks
Regards John
senkosam View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote senkosam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2013 at 12:38am

Screamingreel View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2013 at 8:01am
Thanks mate.
It was the socket being added had me confused.Thumbs Up

Regards John
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic