LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Lure Discussion > Fishing with Lures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

prototype bream lure

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mark2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: prototype bream lure
    Posted: 02 Mar 2013 at 8:41pm
Just finished this prototype lure on friday night it is 65mm long and i weighted it near neutral buoyancy so you can pause the wind without it floating up.  My son couldn't wait to take it to try out he went 5.30.this morning and caught this little bream casting sight fishing he was very happy with it made one the week before a deeper diver the bream kept following it but spooked when it paused because it floated back up too quick.(Sorry couldn't rotate middle photo once on file)  Mark. 
Mr Viper View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Viper Lures (Still Young)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr Viper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2013 at 8:55pm
Nice shape and paint job Mark
Fishing ??? Lets do it !!!!!!!!!!
mark2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mark2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2013 at 3:34am
Thanks Shane, the bream can be so frustrating at times, follow the lure nearly touching it until you run out of room between the bank and the boat, arrrrr relaxing is'nt it.

Mark.
SNAFU View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
RIPP-N LURES

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNAFU Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2013 at 6:11am
Nice lure there Mark and it's working first swim...all good mate...

Mick!!!
Bigriver View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Kneller Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigriver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2013 at 6:20am
Nice shape lure there Mark Clap, 65mm is getting on the large size for bream, maybe try a scaled down version around 50mm. Be careful not introduce too much wiggle as bream are not that hot on sideways movement, looking for a tight shimmy. And you are spot on they don't like a lure that rises quickly on the pause, especially if it has a tendency to go backwards as it floats. Bream are much more responsive to a submissive lure than an aggressive one, be the fish! And have fun, Cheers Paul.
Bigriver View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Kneller Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigriver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2013 at 6:21am
Whoops
steiny View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steiny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2013 at 8:06am
The shape looks cool Mark!
cheers steiny
horrorhead View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLover of the Year 2020

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2013 at 11:00am
gotta be happy with that Mark - a first time goer

Martin-

you don't havta be pretty to fish
mark2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mark2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2013 at 8:44pm
Thanks Mick, the hardest thing is racing my son to the tackle box.

Thanks Paul, I tried to make the lure in first photo very shallow for the sand flats, and your right this one has a tight quick shimmy do you think the lure should float up head first slowly, this one is made from red ceder, perhaps a denser wood might be better,thanks for the help  Mark.

Thanks Darren, I have been playing around with a barra sized model too,when I am happy I will post pics.

Thanks Martin, you have to get lucky sometimes bib angle was a bit of a guess had to finish quickly son wanted to fish.

Mark.
Bigriver View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Kneller Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigriver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2013 at 9:16pm
Yes Mark, one thing both Starlo and Buschy put to me clearly when I was working on the Palaemon was that the lure should rise slowly when paused with the tail sloping slightly down in a submissive non aggressive style, Cheers Paul.
Dave View Drop Down
Assassin Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2013 at 6:06pm
PropellorHead
Mal Vader View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mal Vader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2013 at 8:38pm
Gotta learn about luring Bream!!!
Baitfished them all my life, I know a bit about their preferred lairs.
ALWAYS found livebait to be snaffled in favour of anything else.
That said, I've caught more Bream on 'scavenge' type baits(cockles, mullet/chook gut, stripbaits), in a session, than would be legal these days as a possession limit!!!
No 1 Bait, Live Prawn, under 90mm.
No 2 Bait, Live Bloodworm.
No 3 Bait, Live Yabbys(Pink nippers)
No 4 Bait, Live Crab, 10c piece size.
All locally collected.
After these, came the scavenge baits, again local and as fresh as possible.
We would open our Cockles over the side of the boat, drop the shells(simple, self berlying), hook the bait and cast.
I can see how some soft plastics would entice Bream, but it has me a little perplexed about hard bodies.
Great to see Mark & Son doing well on them!
I read the posts, learning all the time.
Cheers   MAL
DARK LORD
In Space, no-one can hear you SCREAM!
hazmail View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Rayna Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hazmail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2013 at 9:18pm
Very Very nice lure Mark.
Great paint, great shape.
Pete
   'RAYNA' ---Free Range Lures
peterayn@yahoo.com.au
1wood View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2013 at 11:26pm
Mark
Great looking lure , remind me a bit of the Taylor Made , as mentioned here earlier the smaller lures around 50mm or smaller definitely catch more Bream but there are exceptions .
Suspending divers are the goods .
The exceptions in size are the Sammies etc... but they are topwater .
The majority of successfull divers are in the smaller sizes as in the Chubbies, Atomics etc...
But if your lure works as in catching a Bream first try way to go .
dishley View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dishley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2013 at 1:26pm
Brilliant looking lure and a great paint job too. Reckon Bass would be all over that!
mark2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mark2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2013 at 8:27pm
Thanks guys,
I have lost both these prototype lures they did catch plenty of bream, but end up busting of when fish went under shacks along the glenelg river.
I have been playing around with this lure and have tried half a doz different bib configuration. I still make it and a couple different models now.
Thanks Mark
Flashshad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flashshad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2013 at 10:51pm
I could see a jack or two eating that up North Qld way.

Dave
One on fake is better than ten on bait!!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic