LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Lure Making > Make your own Fishing Lures > D.I.Y Moulded Lures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

rattles in molded lures

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: rattles in molded lures
    Posted: 05 Dec 2010 at 11:15pm
rattles for polurethane molded lures?,ok first you need to go to the chemist and buy a jar of these empty gelatin capsules,not cheap but way cheaper than glass rattles
next we put a small piece of splitshot or plastic bead inside the capsule and tape to the wireform of the
lure
if your not using full wires they can be taped to the middle hanger just make sure the wire protrudes past the capsule so that the hangers strength is not compromised
this is how a full form wire with rattle attached would look in the mold (looking down from on top)
we then just close up our mold and pour as normal.end result a new rattley lure ready to attract (or scare!)
just add waterWink

Pilly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2010 at 11:51pm
Top idea Chris, ClapClapClap

Thanks for showing us mate Thumbs Up

Regards
Adrian
Toga Fever
simon bruce View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Guide
LureLovers.com Guide

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simon bruce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2010 at 11:59pm
Chris

thats very informative.

What model is that?
Simon
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2010 at 8:45am
its one of my older lures simon,''Bandicoot'' Ive changed the look of them a bit by putting bigger painted eyes on them
doccod View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
B.J.'s Spinnerbaits

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doccod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2010 at 9:44am
Very clever puglee, my hat goes off to you! regards B.J.
simon bruce View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Guide
LureLovers.com Guide

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simon bruce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2010 at 10:27am
thanks Chris

CircleVbaits View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
CircleVbait Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CircleVbaits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2010 at 12:42pm
Really good info Chris.    Thanks...
Verlon
Baitman
Screamingreel View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2010 at 1:58pm

Greatly appreciated Brillant result

Thanks Chris

Regards John
caseys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caseys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2010 at 5:00pm

Would these work in timber lures with ball bearings?

thanks caseys
Pilly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2010 at 6:26pm
Originally posted by caseys caseys wrote:

Would these work in timber lures with ball bearings?

thanks caseys
Hi Casey,

In my opinion I wouldn't recommend putting them in timber lures. They are made of gelatine which dissolves when it comes in contact with moisture. You would have to ensure they are well sealed inside the timber lure if you chose to try it. These capsules are designed to have medicines put inside them and then swallowed, just like the antibiotic capsules the doc gives you. An idea that has been posted on here is to get some spent .22 cartridges and a ball bearing and incorporate them into your lure.

Cheers
Adrian
Toga Fever
tooch View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Twitchy Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tooch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2010 at 6:37pm
Hi Chris, Good thinking mate those capsules are just the right size....SmileSmileSmile...pete.
I'd rather be fishing with

caseys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caseys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2010 at 7:13pm

Thanks was just wondering wont bother trying it sounds like it would go bad fast. I use to make rattles out of brass tubing and ball bearings till the shop I use to buy it from burnt down and im not shaw if they have reopened in another place (it was a craft shop). I will have to try and get some cartridges to try and some small ball bearings.

Thanks caseys

edzard View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Ollie's Stingrays

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2010 at 5:33pm
Caseys, you could also use aluminium tubing from tv arials, thats what I use for my rattles in timber lures with a split shot inside or small ball bearing, the process is the same as Travers.

Cheers
Ollie
Darby View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fishaholic Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2010 at 8:19pm
One option for tubing is a hobby shop that sells R/C stuff, they usually have a range of Copper, Brass and Steel tubing in small sizes with thin walls.

Darbs
"If you are going to have fun with your rod.. get some wood

oog663 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Oogs Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oog663 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2010 at 10:19pm
The simplest way, and cheapest is the way Travers showed, using a cut up coke can. Just cut up the can so you have a flat sheet of alloy, grab whatever you like to form the diameter you want ie pencil or dowel, roll it up cut to length. And if you mix and match the balls and end caps you can change the pitch.
Experiment with lead and steel balls, try one or more, end caps try Alloy, Tin, Brass, Alloy gives me the sound I am most happy with. 22 hornet and .22 as well as 22 mag shells all work. I'm playing with a few 243 - 303 - 30/30 - shells at the moment on larger Lures of coarse.
Cheers Steve
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2010 at 6:57pm

how about rattles with a little water in them?,apparently there are some plastic lures on the market with some water inside of em',i guess the theory is that the sloshing water mimics the sound of a fishes tail displacing water,could be the go around fish that are easily spooked

Pilly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2010 at 8:38pm
I reckon that would be worth a try Chris.
Do you think the capsules would hold up long enough for the resin to set around them or can you think of another method?

Cheers
Adrian
Toga Fever
JD LURES View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

JD/Eddy Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD LURES Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2011 at 8:07pm

I used a lot of Gelatin Capsules in my early days of Urethane moulding for rattles.

I found you get a much better sound from them if you can turn them sideways.
That way the ball can naturally roll side to side with the action of the lure.
Narrow bodied lures are harder to do this with of course.
If they are to long then trim one end before adding the bead and putting together.
I used to bind them cross ways on my central wires with black magic bait mate.

Tip. Keep the Gelatin Caps in a VERY VERY dry place as if they absorb even the slightest bit of moisture they will steam off in the heat of the curing of the resin and explode out in big holes in the wall of the lure.
You have to keep patching them up.

Here is a good place to get cheap capsules.

JD
Screamingreel View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2011 at 10:23pm
JD LURES
Thanks for the very interesting Post and link
Tricky business this lure making, finding the holes in the lures early in the piece must have presented you with quite a puzzle.

Regards John
CircleVbaits View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
CircleVbait Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CircleVbaits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2011 at 12:08am

Very interesting information.

I made a lure and cut a drinking straw, put a BB inside and put a piece of alumn. on each end and installed in it the lure from side to side. It made so much noise that I could hear it while cranking. I never caught a fish on it until the alumn. pieces came out and without that noise, I started catching fish.
Verlon
Baitman
JD LURES View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

JD/Eddy Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD LURES Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2011 at 7:31am
Originally posted by Screamingreel Screamingreel wrote:

JD LURES
Thanks for the very interesting Post and link
Tricky business this lure making, finding the holes in the lures early in the piece must have presented you with quite a puzzle.

Regards John
Yes mate, puzzling for sure and a rite pain in the proverbial LOL

Just one of a thousand problems you can encounter with Urethane.
Moisture and humidity is a real enemy, something I have a lot of in Tas LOL

JD
muckawa View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muckawa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2012 at 11:28pm
years ago i drilled holes in flatfish and kwikfish to put 4mm bells in them
 by using 24hour epoxy too fill the hole and tape over with electrical tape ,too keep the epoxy in place while it set
five bells worked he best , but for ten years couldn't buy them , until today, $2:50 a packet
now with so many lures with rattles the fish are becoming resistant to these lures, but the bells make a different noise
made a micro phone hydro phone for listening too fish,catfish make a croaking sound,redfin click,silverperch grunt,carp make a boof when alarmed ,yellow belly cherp, birds have song so do fishes.cormorants use echo sounding too locate fish
catfish sound like frogs
there are lots of sounds that i could not work out what was making them
when the water is carm is the best time to here sounds made by fish
sergio_kutz View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sergio_kutz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2012 at 12:26pm
Would the gelatine capsules work in soft plastics made with Plastisol from u-make-em? Bit of bouyancy and rattle could be useful!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic