LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Fishing Tackle > General Tackle Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Reel handle grip replacement

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Reel handle grip replacement
    Posted: 02 Aug 2017 at 11:29am
Hi all,
Have had problems over the years with tacky reel grips on several Chronarchs. Replaced the entire handle assembly on those reels. Now have a Shimano Core 100MG, a Chronarch CH100B and a Zillion PE with handle grips starting to go tacky.

Does anyone know where the grip knobs only can be purchased and not the entire assembly.

thanks
Blinky View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Blinky's Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blinky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2017 at 12:11pm

I had the same problem with the rubber grips on my CV-Z's, talcum powder will fix it for a time, then it's time to replace......

I put cork grips on mine years ago and never looked back, got the replacements direct from Diawa, Shimano may have similar.

I have many Shimano reels but only experienced the rubber grip degradation on the Diawa's......
Blinky.

Blinky's Lures.
The lures that catch fish, not fishermen.........
Facebook
HARTE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HARTE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2017 at 12:34pm
You could try some Reel Grips, a ribbed silicone cover that fits over the existing handle
grip. I have these on a few of my baitcaster reels and really like them.
I purchased mine from  masterangler.com.au  about $10 a pair if I remember correctly.
They come is a selection of colours.
Hope this helps!
dmc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2017 at 12:59pm
thanks for reply's. I'll try a bit of talc to see if this will stabilise the grips. They's not that bad at the moment - but I know where this leads to.

I did see the 'grips' on the net - but not sure how this would change the feel.
I might contact manufactures direct and see if the septon grips can be supplied as a set - and not just the full handle assembly. I do like the idea of cork grips. Will price this option as well.

thanks.
Fishalot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fishalot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2017 at 3:14pm
Mikes Reel Repairs in the USA is quite reasonable, holds spares for just about every reel made. BrianWink
Kimo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2017 at 9:02pm
Gday mate
I am not familiar with any of the reels you mentioned,however I did have the same thing happening on a rubber handle of a Shimano TLD 2 speed 50 RSA reel I had.
I gave it to my son but I presume it is still occurring.
I did not realize it was a common problem with rubber handles, rather imagined it was something I had done, maybe spilt petrol on it in the boat or some thing of that kind.
If I had realized it was a common occurrence I would have contacted Shimano Australia. I found them very approachable and are or where comfortable to speak to you on the phone.
Experience has taught me that they do stand by their product and are only to happy to assist.
Will pass the tip of Talc powder to my son Thanks
Kimo     
kayargh1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kayargh1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2017 at 12:50pm
I am not sure if this is the same problem but some time ago I had a pair of glasses with a rubber coated frame.  They cost me a bomb so when the frame became "tacky" after a year, I contacted the manufacturer. They told me that it was common for rubber products that came into contact with sunscreen to go tacky. There might be something in it. Regards, Ken.
Fysshe Salmon View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Fysshe Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fysshe Salmon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2017 at 3:38pm
Sunscreen and insect repellent are the worst offenders.
Fysshe
dmc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2017 at 4:38pm
The chemicals in sunscreen and repellents are definitely the problem - which I don't have a problem with. It's part of fishing. The problem has been not being able to purchase the grip knobs only. I've had to repair two Chronarchs in the past 12 months or so and was charged $70 and $50 for the complete handle assembly - where a couple of grips at $10-$15 would have seemed logical. All reel schematics seem to break down every item in finest detail - bar the handle assembly - which I think is a flaw.

Anyway - have sent a few emails off - see how I go with supply options.
scotch&dry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scotch&dry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2017 at 5:43pm
i,m in the same boat its the later model ambassadeurs that I have trouble with I think abu Garcia should have stuck with the same hard plastic handle grips they had earlier on , I have been digging around online and have seen a few handles for sale with black foam thong type material for only about $10 chinese made is advertised as fitting abu,shimano and daiwa baitcasters maybe worth a try, cheers ed

Ed.McC
Kimo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2017 at 6:17pm
Seems that Sun Screen & insect replant are the top offenders
So now we are all aware of the cause and some are perusing alternate replacement parts
Has any one made contact with the manufacturers in regards to warranties, replacement parts, and just notifying them that there is a problem. or is this already known by the manufacturers ?
Ill drop an Email to Shimano
Worse they can say is stiff shit.
Cheers Kimo    
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic