LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Lure Discussion > Lure Collecting > Maintaining your collection
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Removing glitter paint

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Removing glitter paint
    Posted: 04 Sep 2010 at 10:28pm
Received this little Manns 5+ in the mail the other day... some intellectual giant has painted it with glitter paint. It is thicker in some parts that others. You can see where I have tried to scratch it off with my finger nail. It doesn't work all over. I've tried removing it with plain hot soapy water and was unsuccessful. Any tips on removing it without ruining the paint and gloss finish underneath? I've removed the little holographic eyes.. they are fine to glue back on if I can get  it clean.

TasV View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2010 at 10:31pm
Oh yeah.. I've also tried heating it gently with a hair drier to see if I can soften the glitter paint.. doesn't seem very effective either.
mearzie View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mearzie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2010 at 10:39pm
have once had a similer problem i used rp7 to good affect but dont leave it on to long or it will eat at the paint underneath
TasV View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2010 at 10:43pm
rp7??? Is that like WD40?
Piatu View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Piatu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2010 at 10:45pm
Try boiling water ;)

If it dont work -> try this one http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NaOH in finland its quite common witch we make to open sewers.

And...if it still dont work-> machanis, you must to use abrasive paper etc...

I myself try to make these ways first.
mearzie View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mearzie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2010 at 11:05pm
yeah rp7 is like wd40 its got somesort of acidic stuff it in we use it to help clean paint and rust off wood heater doors at work 
TasV View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2010 at 11:21pm
Well.... do you think I went a bit far

Tried boiling water... nothing... tried WD40... nothing... tried daughter's nail polish remover... nothing LEFT... started working and I thought you beauty... beauty turned into a string of expletives when the lure starting going white and then clear.... . The one at the back is what I'd hoped it was going to look like... maybe a quick lick with some fine wet & dry and a repaint job is in order Ouch Maybe I should leave it nude

tooch View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Twitchy Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tooch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2010 at 11:45pm
LOLLOLLOLLOL...Hi Tas, Clear lures are all the go these days...LOLLOLLOL..I can't stop laughing...Mate give it a light sand back and a respray and post up a pic when your done it will be good to see the finished product....LOLLOLLOLLOL..Sorry mate just can't stop...LOLLOLLOL...Pete.
I'd rather be fishing with

TasV View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2010 at 11:51pm
Hmmmm... note to self... stay out of daughter's make-up bag...
reel deal View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reel deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2010 at 12:45am
Next time - try brake fluid. Spot a small area with a cotton bud and rub immediately. Repeat again and again - but leave a little longer each time.
Ecualyptus oil sometimes works also.
wadey
www.reeldealfishing.com.au
bassnbob View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
B.O.B Timber Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassnbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2010 at 4:10am
JUST sand blast the WHOOOER........WinkBig smileBig smileBig smileBig smileBig smile
TasV View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2010 at 4:20am
Footnote: Was bought on Ebay from here: http://shop.ebay.com.au/jettt111/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=&_trksid=p3686

Caution to people looking... I left some neutral feedback for issues I had with some of his stuff... he left a spattering of abuse... it's in Ebay's hands now... be stuffed if I'm going to sit back and cop that spray...
mearzie View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mearzie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2010 at 7:43am
i agree mate you shouldnt have to put up with that sort of rubish i hope the ebay staff or moderators do something about it

as for the new paint-less job looks great ....if your chasing bream just glue on a little refective red eye and your lure would be a hit!

by the way if your looking for a good deal on more manns 5+ lures fishing tackle australia has them for about 5.95 good price i recon
TasV View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2010 at 10:47am
I am going to order some through Laurie here.. just gotta wait a bit... got a $1000 electricity bill sitting on the kitchen table that needs paying :(
Oldman View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Guide
LureLovers.com Guide

Beta Tester

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2010 at 8:21pm
Simon
Dont touch it!!
Leave it as is,
I used to go to a lot of trouble to turn my manns clear.

We lost contact somewhere??????????
do you still want me to get the Manns 5+ for you?
Laurie
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic