LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Lure Making > Make your own Fishing Lures > Questions and Tips re carving your own fishing lures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Removing paint from Polycarbonate

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lycan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Removing paint from Polycarbonate
    Posted: 28 Aug 2020 at 2:10pm
Hi All,

I had a batch of 60 lures that I had taped up ready for primer filling dipping that I left sitting around for over a month before got around to dipping them - big mistake as the tape adhesion must have deteriorated over time and every damn lure ended up with primer on the bib to varying degrees AngryCry

I tried all variations of paint removal ( avoiding acetone based ), and even went so far as to try all the so called home remedies to no avail.

Well long story short I researched a few RC car forums as I know they use polycarbonate bodies and often strip them back for repainting and found a product that works brilliantly.

Its called Tamiya Polycarbonate Body Cleaner and is very easy to use without causing any cloudiness or other imperfections to the Bib.

Just dampen a small piece of cloth with the cleaner and rub for 30 to 60 seconds, then I use an isopropyl soaked cloth to remove any cleaner and the dissolved paint from the bib then rinse with hot water as an extra precaution - probably overkill.

I also experimented with it on a few already painted bodies and you can remove the paint layer by layer instead of the all or nothing paint removal chemicals.

I know I`m not the only one to have had some sort of oop`s that resulted in unwanted paint on polycarb so hopefully it helps remove the lost dollars on over promising underperforming products.

Cheers
Steve
Living outside of the square means never having to sit in the corner
Nativeman View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nativeman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2020 at 4:05pm
Good to know, if I ever have the need, I'll go hereThumbs Up
hooknose View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hooknose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2020 at 8:33pm
Thanks for the tip Steve, sounds the goods 👍
Cheers Steve R  !!!
MAN I LOVE FISHING ! ! !
Lycan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lycan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2020 at 9:22pm

If only I could find something that removes scratches from polycarbonate, lost track of money wasted testing so called scratch removers.

CryCryCryCry
Nativeman View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nativeman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2020 at 9:53pm
Steve

This is good stuff, alot of lure collectors use this to bring back the Lexan bibs.

Lycan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lycan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2020 at 9:59pm
Ironically,
I bought that very product today and gave it a try but wasn't happy with the result, maybe I used it wrongly.

I just put some on the bib, used a cloth to rub it around for a bit then wiped off with clean cloth, maybe it required more liquid and elbow grease.Confused

Cheers
Steve

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic