LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Lure Making > Make your own Fishing Lures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Resin coating

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zads42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Resin coating
    Posted: 10 Jun 2017 at 10:03pm
Saw this diggers resin in the hardware store today. Can anyone tell me if it is okay for clear coating lures
Screamingreel View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2017 at 4:08am
Is it produced in Australia or imported.

regards John
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2017 at 10:53am
it should be ok Dean although ive only used it for molding lures.you'd be best putting your lures in a rotisse if your going to clearcoat them with any sort of resin
that's no how ye make porridge!
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2017 at 10:54am
Originally posted by Screamingreel Screamingreel wrote:

Is it produced in Australia or imported.

regards John
i think it is Australian John,you can buy it at bunnings
Zads42 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zads42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2017 at 8:06pm
I've made my rotisserie and have purchased envirotex lite but would be easier to buy locally instead of online
Doc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2017 at 8:55pm
The diggers is very slow to cure is very brittle and the gloss is only just worthy but is dose polish up when buffed with cutting compound then it shines 
Ohh.... it dose not stick very well to thinner based acrylics either 
Zads42 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zads42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2017 at 9:17pm
Thanks for the info. Just trying to find easier ways to get items. Hardest part of starting to make lures has been sourcing the components and tools you need when you have to buy everything on line.
Doc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2017 at 11:56pm
I would pretty much stick to the auto products with the clears the 2K's are the go when all's said and done clarity toughness and sticking power they are hard to beat To pick a winner in the top 3 is very subjective 
Stay away from the 1K's though if you plan to have soft plastic in your box. Most will soften or even wilt when they come in contact with them. Most small towns have at least a panel shop 

edgecrusher View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edgecrusher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2017 at 7:48pm
Originally posted by Doc Doc wrote:

I would pretty much stick to the auto products with the clears the 2K's are the go when all's said and done clarity toughness and sticking power they are hard to beat To pick a winner in the top 3 is very subjective 
Stay away from the 1K's though if you plan to have soft plastic in your box. Most will soften or even wilt when they come in contact with them. Most small towns have at least a panel shop 

2k comes with extensive pipe and booty set up requirements doesn't it?
Aussbasstony View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussbasstony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2017 at 9:06pm
Hi all,
Following this post but it's it for a lure.
I have a personal token I want to invade in a resin or epoxy but scared of getting air bubbles .
Would this product work on an uneven surface or cause air bubbles around the item. The item is metal.

Sorry for the hi jack.
Cheers
Blinky View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Blinky's Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blinky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2017 at 11:12am
I'm wondering if this would be any good for timber hardening.........
Blinky.

Blinky's Lures.
The lures that catch fish, not fishermen.........
Facebook
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2017 at 12:11pm
Originally posted by Aussbasstony Aussbasstony wrote:

Hi all,
I have a personal token I want to invade in a resin or epoxy but scared of getting air bubbles .
Would this product work on an uneven surface or cause air bubbles around the item. The item is metal.

Sorry for the hi jack.
Cheers
Ihavent molded anything in the resin yet Tony but i'm thinking if you were to paint just the token in resin prior to pouring the rest of the resin over it it'd eliminate the bubbles perhaps?.I'd be doing a test run first though.
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2017 at 12:16pm
Originally posted by Blinky Blinky wrote:

I'm wondering if this would be any good for timber hardening.........
should be Shane,Les Barlow uses fibreglass resin on his lures, and way back when i made my lures from balsa i used fibreglass resin for strength and extra weight,it worked pretty good.i'm not sure how it would handle mackerel and barracuda etc though,
Aussbasstony View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussbasstony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2017 at 12:27pm
Originally posted by puglee62 puglee62 wrote:

Hi all,

Sorry for the hi jack.
Cheers
Ihavent molded anything in the resin yet Tony but i'm thinking if you were to paint just the token in resin prior to pouring the rest of the resin over it it'd eliminate the bubbles perhaps?.I'd be doing a test run first though.

Thanks mate a good idea and ever thought of that .

Cheers
Doc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2017 at 7:26am

Hi all,

Sorry for the hi jack.
Cheers

Yes it would,, It is fairly easy flowing and slow curing so air bubbles are less troublesome but degassing is highly recommended  you will need to use  release agent on what ever you mould it in. It will copy every defect in your mould casing so after it cures you will need to polish it after moulding even the marks left behind by release agent If you can not degas then pour it in from one corner at a height in a thin constant stream 1 to 1.5mm round as the flow speed increases it stretches the bubbles and helps break them If your token has deep details then coat it in resin first with a bush Youtube has some good vids on the subject 
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2017 at 4:35pm
molded this guy using the diggers product some time ago,no problems with bubbles but the finish was a little dull as someone mentioned before,a coat of two pac clear took care of this though.i am sure single pac clear would work too you polish it up with some cut and polish if you wanted it really glossy

flyonline View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyonline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2017 at 6:38pm
Chris

does your's float? I made a few small minnow types, but they sank like a stone so I never bothered with them. I do think that they'd be great for small baitfish type stuff for throwing at pelagics because you could insert a reflective foil shape to mimic the real thing.

Steve
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2017 at 8:44pm
no Steve it does'nt float,i tried rotary molding them but it did'nt work.i recon if you did the back with polyurethane with qcells and the belly with the diggers you might be able to fluke a semi clear neutral bouyant lure .now that would be something really cool especially if it was prawn shaped,or as you suggested with the reflective foil
MadDogLures View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Mad Dog Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadDogLures Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2017 at 9:00pm

no Steve it does'nt float,i tried rotary molding them but it did'nt work.i recon if you did the back with polyurethane with qcells and the belly with the diggers you might be able to fluke a semi clear neutral bouyant lure .now that would be something really cool especially if it was prawn shaped,or as you suggested with the reflective foil

Like to see that Mr PugleeWink LOL Star

Dave
Life is fishing!
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2017 at 1:00pm
Originally posted by MadDogLures MadDogLures wrote:

Dave
that sounds like a challenge Dave!Big smile,we shall see.......
MadDogLures View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Mad Dog Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadDogLures Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2017 at 6:40pm

Originally posted by MadDogLures MadDogLures wrote:

Dave
that sounds like a challenge Dave!Big smile,we shall see.......

To right Chris, Game onLOL  Could use micro balloons to vary the density to make the lure a topwater, suspending or sinking bait.Wink

Mad Dog
Life is fishing!
Doc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2017 at 4:07pm

molded this guy using the diggers product some time ago,no problems with bubbles but the finish was a little dull as someone mentioned before,a coat of two pac clear took care of this though.i am sure single pac clear would work too you polish it up with some cut and polish if you wanted it really glossy

You don't really need to top coat it. If you have a dull finish get some car paint fine cutting compound and buff away with a a nice clean cotton cloth,, this stuff comes up a treat. Its very similar to buffing up a fiberglass boat gel coat 
Nice job with the lure Puglee62, its nice to see the inner working of a lure builder
As for floating you can rotate the mould while curing and create a hollow in side you will have a 5 to 10 failures until you get the speed and volume of the resin right beware it dose not work well with large bent lures the one above could pull it off
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2017 at 6:11pm
Originally posted by Doc Doc wrote:

You don't really need to top coat it if you have a dull finish get some car cutting compound fine and buff away with a a nice clean cotton cloth,, this stuff comes up a treat. Its very similar to buffing up a fiberglass boat gel coat 
Nice job with the lure Puglee62, its nice to see the inner working of a lure building
As for floating you can rotate the mould while curing and create a hollow in side you will have a 5 to 10 failures until you get the speed and volume of the resin right beware it dose not work well with large bent lures the one above could pull it off
i actually did try roto molding them Doc,after about the fifth failure i gave up. there was some question as to the strength of the lures too ,they were quite thin in places and with no glass in them i think they'd crack eventually
Doc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2017 at 9:38pm
It is a little on the brittle side for a hard workin lure. Its a bit thin for rotomoulding and when it starts to turn it gels quite quickly too But winter is the best time to do it.

Its nice to know I'm not the only one doing stuff that pops through one mind,,,,,,,,, just because

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic