Forum Home Forum Home > Lure Making > The Luremakers Shed
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Respirators

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Blinky's Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blinky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Respirators
    Posted: 05 Dec 2015 at 5:13pm
Hi all,
Is a P2 mask satisfactory for protection when mixing and applying clears like Etex, West System etc, etc, or do I need to use a cartridge type respirator ???
Blinky.

Blinky's Lures.
The lures that catch fish, not fishermen.........
Facebook
Raffey View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raffey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2015 at 5:30pm
I'm keen to hear others opinions on this too. I always have a high quality filtered mask (charcoal etc) when not only spraying but also when there is any tin of paint or thinners open. There will be sessions when I won't even get a whiff of any of the products I'm using. They're all auto acrylics, so people say not as harmful as 2pk but still not good for you. I don't know the composition of the products you're speaking of Blinky but with long term exposures you can't be too carful I think.

Cheers,

Danny.
Echo Lures
simon bruce View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Guide
LureLovers.com Guide

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simon bruce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2015 at 5:53pm
Recommended level of protection should be in the product information.  If not the supplier should have a Material Safety Data Sheet that sets out the required Personal Protective equipment to be used.
the fish aren't art critics
MadDogLures View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Mad Dog Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadDogLures Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2015 at 6:58pm
Hi Blinky, I use a Scott safety Profile2 A2/P2 filters for protection against vapours, solid and liguids. I do use auto paint acrylics and you can buy this mask at Bunnings for $60.I started with just P2 mask till I had problems with my lungs.

CheersThumbs Up
Dave
Raffey View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raffey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2015 at 11:10am
The MSDS for the product should always be read. A lot of the time I've noticed that the product itself just states "avoid breathing vapours" and the only way to do this is to use a mask with the correct filters. The auto paint store where I get my paints from go one level higher now and state that the only safe method they can recommend is to use a compressed air system, as the masks with filters have a lifespan and they say if you don't adhere to it then it's not safe.

Cheers,

Danny.
Echo Lures
Blinky View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Blinky's Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blinky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2015 at 2:49pm
The MSDS for all the epoxy clears I use state "Use in a well a ventilated area". There is no mention of respirators/masks required..........
Blinky.

Blinky's Lures.
Facebook
horrorhead View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLover of the Year 2020

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2015 at 4:24pm
Originally posted by Blinky Blinky wrote:

The MSDS for all the epoxy clears I use state "Use in a well a ventilated area". There is no mention of respirators/masks required..........

And then if you had any problems from it, they can turn around and say that the area wasn't ventilated enough - very broad terminology used here.
Martin-

you don't havta be pretty to fish
Blinky View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Blinky's Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blinky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2015 at 10:08pm
Originally posted by horrorhead horrorhead wrote:

Originally posted by Blinky Blinky wrote:

And then if you had any problems from it, they can turn around and say that the area wasn't ventilated enough - very broad terminology used here.

For sure. Thats why I'll be wearing the P2 mask as minimum PPE.........
Blinky.

Blinky's Lures.
Facebook
Raffey View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raffey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2015 at 10:27pm
P2 masks are not overly effective at creating a barrier for harmful vapours. Protect your lungs. They're an easy gateway into your system. I avoid getting overspray on my skin as well, as you don't know what compounds are able to pass through/between your skin cells. It's like I said in the previous post, a lot of us are making lures on a daily/weekly basis and need to be aware of the possible compounding effects of long term exposure if we're not careful in our practices.

Cheers,

Danny.
Echo Lures
Doc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2016 at 5:47pm
Not fixed rules but a guide line to know when your at greater risk 

1K are reasonably safe as they are a hydrocarbon volatiles they smell like acetone, methyl ethyl ketone petrol and so forth so there is a distinct odors so if you can tell there's a problem it is fixed by better ventilation It dose kill brain cell when you over indulge 

2K not to be confused with 2 packs Are a chemical reaction to polymerize as well as volatile hydrocarbons especially with hardeners these reactive agents have very little aroma and are suspected to be carcinogens but like the 1K the hydrocarbons let you know you are at risk by the odour and because the chemical reaction happens over 4 to 18 hours you are usually not there the whole time when curing

2 packs polyurethanes or PU for short are known carcinogens and have no smell after the reducers are boiled off. Volatiles involved are toluene, xylenes and pentanes can be easily absorbed through the skin but are most dangerous after spraying because after the reducers have boiled off the chemicals produced during curing have no odour and evolve quite quickly so there are no tells when you are being poisoned

2 pack Epoxies are the least harmful and are the better choice for your health the reducers fall back to acetone methyl ethyl ketone after the volitiles have boiled off the chemicals produced are usually less harmful and have a slight odour  

NukeREAD THIS PARTNuke after 2 to 5 minutes of exposure to hydrocarbons your nose will be desensitized and at minimum will take hours to be reliable again. Nothing I have said replaces reading the MSDS now replaced by SDS all companies are required to supply most will give you a wed address to access them on line this includes the company that sold it to you not just the manufacturer. If pushed at purchase they are required to supply a hard copy...

Forgive the pun I am using a very broad brush here

Standing on a road is dangerous but some places increase your risk same with Auto paints

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic