LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Lure Discussion > Lure Collecting > Maintaining your collection
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Restoring Clear lures

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote savit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Restoring Clear lures
    Posted: 30 Jun 2016 at 3:28pm
Hi All,

Recently I've got my hands on small clear plastic HB lure 'collection'. I mean 'collection' as they are not that old  and I still intend to use them for chasing bream and whiting. They are in good condition, however they have  a number of small scratches due to usage and storage. 

I am just wondering if/how I could make them shiny again or at least clean them properly? 

Thank you.

Ducks View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ducks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2016 at 4:14pm
Yea mate you should be able to clean most of them up with water on paper toweling.
That will take most rust marks or whatever off.
Any that are a big grimier you can leave to soak in some warm water with a bit of dish washing liquid.  Then rub them down with a cloth or some paper towel.
Trying to buff out any deep scratches would probably not be easy, and probably not worth your time if you plan to be fishing them anyway.
Fysshe Salmon View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Fysshe Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fysshe Salmon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2016 at 4:35pm
I agree with Ducks. I made up a solution of detergent, Domestos (only a little) and water in a spray bottle and spray that on the lures and clean with a toothbrush. It pays to take hooks off first. Some rust stains can be stubborn and I use a little "Jiff" on the toothbrush as well. This seems to work. If your lures become  dull or matt, a single light coat of acrylic clear can help but try it on an old one first in case it may react!
Fysshe
savit View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote savit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2016 at 5:03pm
Thank you very much Ducks and Fysshe Salmon. 

These - don't have rust marks and the trebles are in good condition as well. (however I have some other lures - that fit perfectly). I will try your suggestions. 

However, yes, some clear lures are dull and matt due to scratches . Where do I get acrylic clear? Bunnings? Do I have to sand the lures  before applying acrylic clear coating?
Fysshe Salmon View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Fysshe Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fysshe Salmon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2016 at 7:01pm
Bunnings have White Knight acrylic clear (make sure it says "Gloss" on the can, not Satin!) You shouldn't need to sand the lures before clear coating, just a good clean and make sure they're dry. A dry warm day is best for spraying.
Fysshe
hazmail View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Rayna Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hazmail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2016 at 7:06pm
Savit, also consider "fuming", this is a process they use to remove layers of paint from old paintings, saw it done years ago when working as a picture framer--
You hang the object on a jar lid and add a small amount of solvent to the jar (attach the lid without the object being immersed in the solvent) until you find the right one to dissolve the top coating, start with turps and work through alcohol, thinners and on to acetone and MEK etc until you find something that will dissolve the coating--
Because it's only fumes attacking the coating and not a liquid, it's pretty mild (and slow).
How much time have you got??
I often use this to clean out an air brush overnight---This method WILL strip back plastic lures to the plastic without losing detail, BUT keep an eye on it---or better still try it on an old busted blank.
Pete
   'RAYNA' ---Free Range Lures
peterayn@yahoo.com.au
savit View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote savit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2016 at 5:22pm
Fysshe Salmon and hazmail - thank you guys for  your suggestions. Also I really enjoyed your websites with lures.  
Most likely I will stick at the moment with acrylic clear. I do not have much space for 'fumes' projects at the moment, so may be a bit later. It does sound interesting for more serious lure restoring or modding  as I found a number of 'blanks' on the beach and rocks. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic