LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Lure Making > The Luremakers Shed
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ryobi Bandsaw and disc sander

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hutcho1977 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ryobi Bandsaw and disc sander
    Posted: 09 Jan 2018 at 6:58pm
G’day all, after selling all my gear and a 2 year break, looking at getting back into making some more lures. Not looking at spending big dollars ( ok my wife said I cant). Just wondering if anyone has used the Ryobi bandsaw and disc sander they have at Bunnings. It’s about my budget.
Cheers Hutcho
Fysshe Salmon View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Fysshe Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fysshe Salmon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2018 at 10:27pm
If it's the combination bandsaw/ disc sander, I wouldn't recommend it! I bought one over 25yrs ago and was going through about 2 blades a week! ! had a mate working full time welding them up. I had to remove the blade each time I wanted to use the sander or the blade would break within a few minutes! I finally bought a bigger Ryobi that lasted about 10 years with few blade breakages if it was set up correctly. I still have the old one which I have converted into a sander only, by cutting off the top half... Fitted a vacuum system to remove dust and is still working fine and has sanded over 5,000 lures since...
Fysshe
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Fysshe Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fysshe Salmon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2018 at 10:34pm
The new/old Ryobi. HBS100 I think the model was.
Fysshe
Hutcho1977 View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hutcho1977 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2018 at 10:44pm
No it’s 2 seperate machines Fysshe. It’s a combination disc and belt sander and a 230mm bandsaw.
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hutcho1977 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2018 at 10:45pm
Online reviews look ok, but was just wondering if any members had them in the shed.
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Fysshe Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fysshe Salmon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2018 at 10:59pm
They look the goods. The bigger diameter wheels (230mm) put less stress on the blades. I did try one of the linisher/sander combos, but they spun counter clockwise and I'd always worked with discs that spun clockwise...
Fysshe
OCD View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
OCD Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OCD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2018 at 6:05am
Tony,
The sander is fine, it is a generic model which a lot of Brands simply put their badge on. I have had one for years, no problem, touch wood.
The Bandsaw, I have a Ryobi, 150mm and blade breakage is a problem. Small diameter wheels and small blades equals lots of breakages. Also check out the blade guides.
Cheers,

Gavin
Blinky View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Blinky's Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blinky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2018 at 8:29am

I've had the same sander for years, no problem. Also have the Ozito version of the bandsaw, no issues with it either. It gets used a lot when I run out of blades for the LEDA.....

Blinky.

Blinky's Lures.
The lures that catch fish, not fishermen.........
Facebook
Danny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Danny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2018 at 9:44am
Hey, I looked closely at the Ryobi Bandsaw 18months ago and may look at it again as in the end I didn’t buy anything. From what I can remember people liked them but complained about blade breakage. I was told that if I bought one to just go and buy the bigger (slightly thicker) blades and replace it straight away.
Dan
Dan
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hutcho1977 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2018 at 6:00pm
Hows the LEDA going Blinky? Would you rate it better than the Ozito? 
Blinky View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Blinky's Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blinky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2018 at 6:34pm
Originally posted by Hutcho1977 Hutcho1977 wrote:

Hows the LEDA going Blinky? Would you rate it better than the Ozito? 

Far superior machine. The Ozito is good as well, it can do a tighter radius due to the more flexible blade.
Blinky.

Blinky's Lures.
Facebook
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hutcho1977 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2018 at 7:21pm
Knew I shouldn’t have sold the Leda to ya Reckon I might save a few more pennies and buy another one. I’ll definitely buy the ryobi disc sander but, can’t go wrong for $150.
Seaweed View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
née Capt.Seaweed

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seaweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2018 at 1:14pm
Stay away from the Ryobi bandsaw, I had one it went out the front on the last cyclone cleanup weekend. Broke blades regularly, it was only the fine blade model, bloody racket Bunnings were charging $30 a pop for blades. If you go to a 6mm blade you may be OK. The scroll saws are good and blades are only $2 a pop.
Seaweed.
"Always Merry and Bright"
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hutcho1977 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2018 at 2:22pm
How do reckon the scroll saw would handle 40mm western red cedar Seaweed.
Cheers Hutcho
Blinky View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Blinky's Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blinky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2018 at 2:53pm

Cheers Hutcho

Not good, they are downright dangerous when cutting anything over about 12 mm, they are basically made for fine work on thin sections.
I use one foe cutting bib slots and I've gone close to having to pick my nose with a stump on a few occasions when the blade grabs......
Blinky.

Blinky's Lures.
Facebook
Raffey View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raffey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2018 at 3:04pm

Cheers Hutcho

I have the scroll saw and I think there are better options out there. I don't think it would be suitable (certainly the thinner blades anyway) for cutting cedar that thick. I'd like to get a more suitable tool for the job one day.

Cheers,

Danny.
Echo Lures
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2018 at 8:09pm

Cheers Hutcho
it'll do the job but not ideal,i used just a scrollsaw for many years and got by ,even cutting 45 mm thick blanks at times.The problem with bandsaws is that the thin blades can distort and you end up with a blank thats thicker on one side than the other which is sometimes fixable and sometimes not. an ideal set up would see you with a scrollsaw and a bandsaw.my bandsaw is a carbotech its absolutelely brilliant i think it cost me around $450  a year ago  but as yet has'nt broken a blade and its done a fair bit of work.its a ten inch one
that's no how ye make porridge!
hazmail View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Rayna Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hazmail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2018 at 11:42am
I'm with Chris, for an extra $100, you start to get into more reasonable quality, for another 100 you get into larger throat's etc,etc.
Pete
   'RAYNA' ---Free Range Lures
peterayn@yahoo.com.au
Werriscreekwonda View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder

Woods Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Werriscreekwonda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2018 at 2:11pm
I'm still using a GMC bandsaw, it may be one of the few ones in the world still working.
Bugger chews blades though.
I got a much better belt and disc bench sander from Gasweld, Toolex brand..good price too.
Craft View Drop Down
Craft Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Craft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2018 at 9:03am
One of two - my GMC is still going - been getting blades from on-line and they seem to hold up for a bit longer than the ryobi ones from the house of Bunn.
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hutcho1977 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2018 at 3:57pm
Cheers for all the advice lads. I will let you know how I go once I have my meeting with the God of war financial director(wife). LOL
P.S. Dont tell her I said that Ouch
Broomanbass View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Broomanbass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2018 at 1:22pm
Hi, just reading your article, I have been using a Ryobi band saw for about 20 years,only a cheapy, don't have any trouble with blades,I would like to have a thicker blade for the bib cut, what are you guys using.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic