LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Lure Discussion > Fishing with Lures > Fishing Tackle discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

SABIKI rigs

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
B.O.B Timber Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassnbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: SABIKI rigs
    Posted: 04 Apr 2016 at 1:18pm
been to the tackle store today & the boys were restocking a rack with these sabiki rigs bt tsunami i never seen the big ones before but grab some size 6 bait jigs little red chem hooks didnt relize the go up to 8/0 with white feathers &sparkle flash on them anyone evey used the bigger ones the 4/0s look good for snapper &kings any info on these pleaseClapClapClapBig smileBig smileregards bob
Ducks View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ducks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2016 at 1:52pm
Bob I've used some of the bigger ones sweetened up with a fish or squid strip when bait fishing on reefs. I think if you could be bothered jigging them a bit you could ditch the bait completely too. I found this common particularly in places like Fiji where the guys just seem to use them as pre-tied bait fishing rigs to get dinner off the reef. I didn't compare prices but they seem to go towards the cheapest way to do things - so I guess it must be comparatively cheap to buy these rigged vs buying the hooks and good heavy leader they'd need.
In same places, I've used old car parts and any kind of scrap you can tie around or through, as sinkers.
bassnbob View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
B.O.B Timber Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassnbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2016 at 4:03pm
I think they would work treat jigging i have to get afew sets &give em a good go thanks ducksClapClapBig smileBig smileregards bob
Tony Mc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Mc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2016 at 4:30pm
Yes Bob, use the Black Magic brand for snapper and the like, 5/0 circle hooks with, as Ducks said, a piece of fish or squid to sweeten the deal. They can get expensive if you have a "tangler" on board, but otherwise they work well.
a good lure is a tool, not a toy - Vic McCristal
bassnbob View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
B.O.B Timber Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassnbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2016 at 6:31pm
SWEET iam onto em may improve my hook rate abit iam hopeingClapClapClapBig smileBig smileregards bob
whipit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whipit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2016 at 12:44am
Yeah I've used them too.. had 3 small squire on around 40 to 45cm a few times and makes it a bit of fun. Feels like there going in all directions. Little strip of squid helps. Was bait fishing with them but the small snapper seem to like them as well.
Cheers Brad
whipit
bassnbob View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
B.O.B Timber Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassnbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2016 at 6:51am
ARE the ones with circle hooks better than the suicide hooks there abit dearer in price but the black magic jig look a lot better quality mite have to get afew of each iam thinkingBig smileBig smileBig smileShockedregards bob
bassnbob View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
B.O.B Timber Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassnbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2016 at 8:53am
JUST spot one jig called strayline by black magic these look the goods red chem circlehook lumo bead sparkle flash 60lb main anyone out there used this one???Big smileBig smileregards bob
Tony Mc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Mc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2016 at 9:39am
Bob, are the strayline rigs just a lumo bead on a dropper with a hook? If so, much cheaper to make your own. Lumo beads are about $1 each ($10/pack of 10), and using dropper loops you can remove and reattach hooks if you get a tangle Big smile
bassnbob View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
B.O.B Timber Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassnbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2016 at 12:12pm
GREAT idea ive got a few beads & sparkle flash may make a set up&just put 2 hooks on instead of 6 tangley onesBig smileBig smileregards bob
whipit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whipit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2016 at 7:26pm
Your right Bob. Too many hooks on some and tangle a lot. Had some break as well. Made my own as Tony says with 20lb and only 3 droppers. Much easier to fish with.
whipit
bassnbob View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
B.O.B Timber Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassnbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2016 at 8:26pm
YEP sounds the go ill get some gammie or owner 2/0s &lume beads &tye em up on 30lb flouro carbon &see how they come upConfusedConfusedBig smileBig smileregards bob
bassnbob View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
B.O.B Timber Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassnbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2016 at 2:46pm
EASY to make got some pink beads pink sparkle flash chem red suicide hooks &flat waxed nylon 20lb flouro carbon &whip up 10 little drops in ahour easy look choice just need to slip the boat in &test em out THE black magic jigs are 14 to 22 bucks each ill make adozen or more for that good little projectClapClapClapClapBig smileregards bob
Tony Mc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Mc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2016 at 8:45am
Way to go Bob. Your rigs would cost about $4 - $5 each to make?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic