LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Lure Making > The Art of Fly Tying
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Shoal bay special

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Shoal bay special
    Posted: 05 Jan 2011 at 10:22am
A fairly basic fly which can adapted to local materials in your area. Various coloured bristles available from the $1 to $2 dust pan and broom can help. Idea provided by Modern Fishing May 1978.
Lead core weight can be added if required.

Regards John

bassnbob View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
B.O.B Timber Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassnbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2011 at 12:29am
THATS JUST A HOTTYStarStar
bassnbob View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
B.O.B Timber Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassnbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2012 at 2:38pm
I think this fly would be a killer bream patternTongueREGARDS BOB
p.j. View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
P.J's Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p.j. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2012 at 6:39pm
Have any of you ever seeing/made these flies. I believe it is an old Bone fish Pattern. Found the it some where ?? in the late 80´ties, and have caught a lot of Sea-Trout during the Fall and Spring time in one of our Fjords. Fished very slowly on 1 to 2 m. of Water. Offend all the way down, and when lifted from the bottom. thy hit it hard
These to i made in that area. Right one is like the orig. Pattern except i have made it a Dog Nobler version (lead head)

P.J. LURES
SO SMOKING HOT
EVEN CUSTOM DOGS LIKE THEM
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2012 at 6:50pm
no wonder they like them P.J they look a bit like salmon or trout eggs,great little flys thoughThumbs Up
p.j. View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
P.J's Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p.j. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2012 at 7:00pm
Yes Chris thats also why i tried to make them back then. Thought thy looked like small Salmon/Trout Cups, still attached and feeding from the egg. Got to think i never have tried them in the Streams during the Winter time. There was another task Ermm
P.J. LURES
SO SMOKING HOT
EVEN CUSTOM DOGS LIKE THEM
bassnbob View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
B.O.B Timber Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassnbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2012 at 7:47pm
YEP PJ the ones with the chain bead eyes ive got only in orange & afew in black great egg imitation for feeding troutTongueBig smileregards bob
Mattya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mattya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2012 at 8:27pm
PJ
We generally call the egg/roe flys "glo bugs" they are used extensively over here in the lead up to the closed season for trout particularity in the rivers of the snowy mountains.
The most popular method is to use conventional spin gear and drift a glo bug in tandem with a streamer or nymph pattern.
Very interesting to hear that the same happens on the other side of the globe.
Matty

Mal Vader View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mal Vader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2012 at 3:34am
Seen BOBs. CoolThumbs Up
Remember the "purists" condemning them in the Fishing Media in the late 80s. Ermm
Ermm Can't remember what I had for breakfast. LOL
DARK LORD
In Space, no-one can hear you SCREAM!
Mal Vader View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mal Vader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2012 at 3:45am
The blue number looks a lot like my Shrimp(I keep about a thousand for Bass food), but they swim forward, and "flick" backwards. A whip, line mending, will impart this action. Give it a whip, the results can be AMAZING! The Bass in my loungeroom won't hit a Shrimp unless it's moving. Dead ones gather in the eddies until I scoop them out.
DARK LORD
Screamingreel View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2012 at 9:26am
Interest observation. Out of curiosity what size do the shrimp grow, and do you rear them yourself, or caught in the wild.
regards John
Mal Vader View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mal Vader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2012 at 10:21pm
John, 28 -30mm, max for Glass Shrimp.
Collect them regularly, quarantine for a week before releasing into Bass tank.
In quarantine, I won't feed them till third day, by then you can see their bowel is empty. Feed them Goldfish flakes and Goldfish granuels.
I have an excellent Marine Biologist at a local pet emporium, who was very helpful, I've learnt a lot.
I keep mine in a 300 x 200 x 160mm, glass fishtank. With a sponge filter(air), small airstone, 150w heater(20deg) and a handfull of gravel from the Bass tank. These are all pretty essential. I have also placed some Gum Leaves in with them for comfort and feed.
Thanx for your interest. I love watching them, perpetual motion. Thumbs Up Cheers   MAL
DARK LORD
fletch View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Kuttafurra Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fletch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2012 at 10:27pm
I've still got some of those shoal flys somewhere that I tied along time ago along with a large folder of cut out patterns from mags ... Did them in a few other flavours aswell .... Cheers Aaron
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2012 at 11:32am
Thanks Mal
Mal Vader View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mal Vader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2012 at 4:26pm
We love to help. Thanx John. Thumbs Up Anytime.
DARK LORD
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2012 at 10:37am
Fletch if they are still about, how about a photo with the different material.
Regards John
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic