LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Lure Discussion > Fishing with Lures > Fly Fishing
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Show us your Fly bench.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
B.O.B Timber Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassnbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Show us your Fly bench.
    Posted: 05 Apr 2011 at 5:48pm
Here are some weed fly's i tied the other day for the black fish and this is my fly bench and the two books i rely on most to get fly patterns, so take a pic of your fly bench and give us a look.

Regards
Bob.

reel deal View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reel deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2011 at 6:03pm
and not a scrap of dog or goat fur in sightConfused

...Please dont tell me you have cleaned up the cave !!!!ClapThumbs Up
or has Tania been down with the dyson and a skip bin ???

wadey
www.reeldealfishing.com.au
bassnbob View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
B.O.B Timber Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassnbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2011 at 6:07pm
WADEY the dog from planet speed has earnt himself 20 foot of chainWinkWinkLOLLOLLOLLOLREGARDS BOB
Nicho View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Nichos Maulers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2011 at 6:19pm
tidy little set up roberto,
have to give that fly tyin a go one day, I made some strange things years ago with fly gear,heres a pic of my only attempt at something fly like, a popper thingy majig made about 15yrs ago,  THIS should give you all something to LAUGH at.!!!

Certainly an art, watched puglee tie a few for jack on our trout trip, very impressive to watch.
Well done guys show us some more.
A running commentary with pics from start to end would be great.

And wadey............. bob just plucks the goat fur from his teeth as requiredWink
Nichos Maulers Homemade timber lures....THEY CATCH FISH!

YA DONT KNOW...IF YA DONT GO...SO GET OUT THERE AND... FISH IT
bassnbob View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
B.O.B Timber Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassnbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2011 at 7:51pm
NICHO they"d take bass still easyClapClapClapClapWinkREGARDS BOB
Screamingreel View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2011 at 8:01am
bassnbob
In amongst all the gear looking for some silk wooden reels, that are hard to get but seem to move quickly on that "other site" when they appear.

I am not sure whether the silk would still be usable as most of it would have to be a good 30 years old and older.   I have  some left but have not used them in  many years.
In some of my earlier books and catologues it was all the go until these new synthetic reels came along

I would have between 20 and 30 fly books if you happen to be chasing a picture of an  earlier pattern to tie, I maybe able to locate it  for you.
I picked up some nice  fly gear recently that was advertised in the paper for sale on a Saturday.
Regards John

LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2011 at 8:16am
Nicho
I am sure the Salmon would love them but I have only painted my heads white, and white and red ,never thought of trying the darker colour , could work even better. They should stand out even better against a sandy background.    I  like the material in the tails.
When I stated making the poppers many moons ago the (soft, pliable) bristles out of the hand broom was all the go and the fish did not mind them as well, and they were cheap. The cheaper hand brushes were introduced from overseas with different colours which was great.
You could afford to lose some on the rocks if snagged. 
We seem to catch more fish on the poppers than the bait.

The bait seem to attract the fish and poppers would catch the  salmon. Little pickers probably destroyed the bait which attracted the larger fish.
Regards John
bassnbob View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
B.O.B Timber Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassnbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2011 at 9:26am
THANKS very very much john there must be hundredsWinkWink of old fly paterns that dont get tied up anymore   regards bob
manny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote manny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2011 at 1:11pm
I wish you would get some photography lessons. I just got my eyes checked and was told they were fine. GGGRRREEEEAAAATTTTTTTTTTTTT Close ups Big FellaLaffLaff
Manny
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2011 at 2:03pm
Bob
Picked up a few mags recently at the market came across this Rolls Royce of Fly tying vices. May give you a few ideas.

regards John
bassnbob View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
B.O.B Timber Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassnbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2011 at 3:20pm
THANKS MANNY now ya got me booming with confadense old mateLOLLOLLOLYES john that vice is a stunner bet there not cheapClapClapClapClapregards BOB
bassnbob View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
B.O.B Timber Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassnbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2011 at 7:46am
COME ON BOYS give us a loof at ya fly benchsWinkWinkWinkWinkWinkBig smileBig smileBig smileBig smile
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2011 at 8:11am
Bob
Mine is in plastic boxes at the moment, a little too early to produce, at present, after my lenghty take- over of two rooms whilst sorting out my 500 or 600 mags. Forced into making way (cleaning up)for some overseas visitors.
Prudent to leave things a little tidy at present.

regards John

tooch View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Twitchy Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tooch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2011 at 8:35am
Hi Bob, I had to pull my fly bench apart when I
started making lures and I now use it in the workshop
for putting my lures together..WinkWinkBut I suppose I might
be able to clamp an old vice to and take a pic just for you....LOLLOLLOL...Pete.
I'd rather be fishing with

bassnbob View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
B.O.B Timber Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassnbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2011 at 9:10am
SHHHYYSTERSLOLLOLLOLLOL
fletch View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Kuttafurra Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fletch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2011 at 12:43am
its been a good nine years ago since ive sat down and seriously tied flys , but now ive got the cave could be a good start to get back into it and tie up some big black crickets and mudeye ... heres a photo of my daughter tying her first fly around nine years ago .ive got the fly somewhere will find it and post it up...  sadly she never stuck with it .. the photo was damaged in the floods at my oldmans .... cheers aaron
Piatu View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Piatu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2011 at 8:34am
Mine,of cource  homemade few year ago like picturesLOL

LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2011 at 9:15am
Piatu
Like your lures very professional. Did  you actually do all the machining of the parts as well.

Regards John
Powelly View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Powell Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Powelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2011 at 3:26pm
Had to dig deep in the bottom of the cupboard to find my old fly tying kit.  It's been a while since I've tied a fly and the moths have seen this as an opportunity to have a ball!

The kit is housed in a wooden box, which opens to form a bench.  I used to take it on holidays and camping, so the self-contained kit was very handy.

Most of the fly designs, that I used, came from fishing magazines.  My favourite fly was the New England Yabby

Bloody moths!Cry

Cheers

Travers
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2011 at 7:51pm
Thats a great idea Travers and nice and compact too.
 A must to have a suitable bench.
I saw a similar styled one used by a saltwater flyfisherman up in the Darwin area and he knocked up a crab pattern over night for permit fishing the following morning.
Regards John
bassnbob View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
B.O.B Timber Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassnbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2011 at 11:36am
PIATU stunner vices mate exellent workmanshipClapClapClapClapClapClapTRAVIS thats a brillant idea being so mobile ya can knock out a bass bug on the spot &away ya go very coolTongueTongueTongueTongueREGARDS bob
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2011 at 8:33am
second that Bob,is there nothing Piatu cannot make?LOL,And Travers thats a good setup you have there,them moths are buggers eh?,they got into all my feathers once so now i keep them in old coffee cans
tooch View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Twitchy Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tooch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2011 at 9:28am
Hi Guys  and Bob, heres a couple of pics of my
feild Kit that I won in a Fly tying contest..
I used to take it on some of my adventures and
to some of the Kids Camps to teach them fly Tying....SmileSmileSmile...Pete.

LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2011 at 9:40am
Pete
Nice and compact, with all the essentials.

Most of the reel bobbins hold the narrow reels of thread I have a number of reels with the wider insert holding more  thread material up to 200metres is there a jig to use that is say home made to accommodate the length perhaps you or Bob may have an idea  or use something different.

Regards John
tooch View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Twitchy Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tooch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2011 at 9:57am
No John I haven't seen anything like that...
I have  one of those really expensive bobbin holders
and a couple of the elcheapo metal ones but most of them
are only big enough to take the small Bobbins...SmileSmileSmile..Pete.

LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2011 at 10:04am
Thanks Pete

Maybe Bob or Wadey may use something simple that I am not familiar with.

Possibly a thin bolt with a wing nut may work

regards John
bassnbob View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
B.O.B Timber Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassnbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2011 at 9:22am
MAYBE UK or US ebay you might find something wouldnt be to hard to make one too fit johnBig smileBig smileBig smileREGARDS BOB
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2011 at 9:51am

Bob

I thought perhaps an attachment to the existing set up and use the same tube. Keeping it as small as possible.
Will try your suggestion on the computer
regards John
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2011 at 10:49am
Bob
Thanks for your suggestion found something simple  on "You Tube"

I prefer to use the larger reels. Works out substanially cheaper and idea for any saltwater flies  or poppers

Some of the reels have 200 or 500 metres thread  on the reels but are larger.

Photo 1 are the larger spools that just do not fit on the standard bobbins.

Photos 2 and 3 are the basic sizes small to medium are able to be used on the standard bobbins.

regards John

bassnbob View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
B.O.B Timber Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassnbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2011 at 6:49pm
THEY are wide spools the attachment sounds the go johnTongueTongueTongueBig smile
bushwacker View Drop Down
Industry Member
Industry Member
Running Creek Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bushwacker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2011 at 8:15pm
Just stumbled accross this thread and will show my fly tying gear tomorrow hopefully after i get my new wooden chest to put it all in

Do those blackfish fly's actually work ? I was always under the assumption they wer after something in the weed or cabbage ?
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2011 at 8:15am
I acquired a large amount of fly gear off a chap that is leaving the sport gathered over an extensive period of time.

Several items he had in the boxes i am not familiar with and will post in the next day or so .

Somebody may recognise what they are used for.

Regards John
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2011 at 10:12am
Not sure what the items on the left of the photo are used for.

Any suggestions especially the four different size black items in the own plastic container The is no hole at the end of the black tube, the length must be to hold, and perform a function

The brass and silver four holed post ,there use escapes me.

Interesting silver like studs maybe he had something in mind for them?

The round rubber leg material ,i have not used before and the half - hitch tool i would not have thought was necessary.
Most of the other gear appears to have been acquired over at least a 20 year period also tossed in 5  fly lines and some rather expensive feathers from U S
Regards John

MXB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MXB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2011 at 10:59am
John . . . I have no idea what they are for???

Rubber legs are easy to use and can punch them through foam poppers or balsa with a darning needle.

I would like to show my fly tying bench etc but all my materials are packed away and shed a mess!!

MXB
bushwacker View Drop Down
Industry Member
Industry Member
Running Creek Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bushwacker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2011 at 12:02pm
The rubber leg material is popular for people making things such as hula poppers and the like. Those silver things look like Biflocated rivets to me .... not sure what the go is with them.

Steve
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic