LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Lure Discussion > Luremakers Biographies
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Sid Boland BarraFrog

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Seaweed View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
née Capt.Seaweed

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Seaweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sid Boland BarraFrog
    Posted: 13 Apr 2013 at 11:20am
Recently I was given this BarraFrog by a very generous member here during a trade, this rubber frog is the larger size of 6", was made in about 1970 and it's in mint condition. Vic McCristal in his 1971 book, 'Great Fishing With Lures', devotes a whole chapter (#30), to Sid and the story behind the Frog's history.
Curious to know if anyone else here has one, Sid was from Ingham FNQ and when Vic interviewed him he would have been an oldman, as he started making in the depression years. Seaweed.
"Always Merry and Bright"
conquip View Drop Down
Beginner Member
Beginner Member

Answer Answer
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote conquip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2015 at 10:10pm
Capt.Seaweed,
How are you?
I was doing a bit of research on my grandfather, Sid Boland, and your quest for one of his frogs came up, albeit a couple of years old. I trust you are still active on this forum.
I know a bit about his barra frog. I used to make them with him back in the 1960s.
I think it was an aluminium mould, and he used to cook the rubber (mould) on a kerosene primus cooker in the kitchen. All temperature control was by touch/feel.

The most critical part of his barra frog were the small fins on the end of the legs. It took many models before he got the angle and size correct to give the frog the correct leg vibration / pulsation/ flapping,(whatever the correct word is), to imitate the real frog. I think the barra could sense/hear the pulsations of the legs which is why they were a successful lure.

Most of the lures pictured on this forum are copies. Easy to tell by the fins on the legs. As grandad said, "the Japanese have copied it but the copy doesn't work properly because the fins are wrong". The rubber stiffness was also wrong with the copies.

I'm going to see mum on mother's day and will check the shed and fishing gear. May still be one hanging on the wall somewhere.
I suspect that the moulds are with one of my uncles, or otherwise scrapped when grandad died.

The book 'Anglers' Omnibus' somewhere about edition 12, has a photo of grandad's lure. It's the real one.
I can't see enough detail on your photo to be certain if it's one of Grandad's lures, (but it looks better than the other photos of frogs).

Anyway I'll pursue this to see what I can find.

Cheers mate

Alan Nichols.

Screamingreel View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2013 at 2:00pm
I have something similar Tony white belly, underneath with provision to hold a hook through the eye on the nob on the belly.

regards John
Seaweed View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
née Capt.Seaweed

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seaweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2013 at 1:53pm
Looks like you have one John, this also pale cream belly, has the knob to anchor the eye of a large treble. I think the way it was rigged, was for a running wire trace through nose to large treble sitting in the leg gape. When fish struck, treble would pull-off of the rubber knob, frog would slide up line out of way during fight, additional weight could be added running ahead of treble if needed for extra distance, tell me if you think I've got it wrong.
Seaweed.
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2013 at 3:16pm
Hi  Seaweed  I will track mine down it is already rigged and put a picture up.

Regards John
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2013 at 4:09pm
Tony, mine came already rigged  6 1/2 inches long two toned

Sun disappeared due for some more rain.

regards John

Seaweed View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
née Capt.Seaweed

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seaweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2013 at 12:02pm
John, not so sure of yours, mine's got the large knob plus two smaller, not sure of their purpose. The ends of frogs legs are also different, take a look at my pic again and also the underside shot in Vic's book.
Could be a later copy, apparently the originals worked so well, they were copied quite a bit.
Seaweed.
Strangalures View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strangalures Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2013 at 2:30pm
Would the knob on the belly hold the eyelet of the hook to keep the hook close to the body ?

Fish Choking Lures :)
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2013 at 8:40pm
That what I think to Ricki, but probably needs a rubber band wrapped around it for it to continue to hold onto the lure.   Mine fits in nicely.

Regards John
conquip View Drop Down
Beginner Member
Beginner Member

Answer Answer
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote conquip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2015 at 10:10pm
Capt.Seaweed,
How are you?
I was doing a bit of research on my grandfather, Sid Boland, and your quest for one of his frogs came up, albeit a couple of years old. I trust you are still active on this forum.
I know a bit about his barra frog. I used to make them with him back in the 1960s.
I think it was an aluminium mould, and he used to cook the rubber (mould) on a kerosene primus cooker in the kitchen. All temperature control was by touch/feel.

The most critical part of his barra frog were the small fins on the end of the legs. It took many models before he got the angle and size correct to give the frog the correct leg vibration / pulsation/ flapping,(whatever the correct word is), to imitate the real frog. I think the barra could sense/hear the pulsations of the legs which is why they were a successful lure.

Most of the lures pictured on this forum are copies. Easy to tell by the fins on the legs. As grandad said, "the Japanese have copied it but the copy doesn't work properly because the fins are wrong". The rubber stiffness was also wrong with the copies.

I'm going to see mum on mother's day and will check the shed and fishing gear. May still be one hanging on the wall somewhere.
I suspect that the moulds are with one of my uncles, or otherwise scrapped when grandad died.

The book 'Anglers' Omnibus' somewhere about edition 12, has a photo of grandad's lure. It's the real one.
I can't see enough detail on your photo to be certain if it's one of Grandad's lures, (but it looks better than the other photos of frogs).

Anyway I'll pursue this to see what I can find.

Cheers mate

Alan Nichols.

Seaweed View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
née Capt.Seaweed

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seaweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2015 at 3:30pm
Alan, nice to hear from you, yes mine is the real deal, as the person who gave me it remembers his father ordering a few from your Pop back in the 70's, this being one of several they used. They lived up on the Atherton Tablelands at the time, but he's since moved to Brisbane after leaving home.
Would be very interested in what you find in the shed, as I think all LL members would be.
Regards, Tony.
handbrake View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handbrake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2015 at 11:12pm
Wow. It was a lucky day for Lurelovers that you tuned in Alan. I for one have been researching your Grandfather and the Barra Frog. I would love photos of the moulds with the original frog. Contact me if that is at all possible. DebbieD 0447058486.
handbrake View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handbrake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2015 at 8:52am
Does anyone know whether the design was registered?    DebbieD
handbrake View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handbrake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2015 at 8:32am
Mine has a registered number on it. Is this a copy or fake of the Barra Frog? Does anyone know?
Seaweed View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
née Capt.Seaweed

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seaweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2015 at 3:08pm
I'll dig mine out and see if there are any numbers embossed Deb, don't remember seeing any, but my eyes aren't what they were LOL.
Alan has gone quiet since his one and only post, might be best to drop him a PM.
Regards, Tony.
handbrake View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handbrake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2015 at 11:19pm
Tony I left a PM for Alan and hopefully he'll check in and lend his knowledge to the subject. This one is pretty brittle but definitely moulded because of the registered numbers raised in the mould. Cream belly and it has thin sideways flippers.
Seaweed View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
née Capt.Seaweed

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seaweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2015 at 11:39am
I'll post a couple more shots of mine re our PM.
Seaweed.
Toppy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toppy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2015 at 9:01am
Interesting stuff, thanks for posting this Tony
"lures are for fishing with" Apparently!
Seaweed View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
née Capt.Seaweed

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Seaweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2015 at 11:43am
OK Deb and anyone else interested, here are a couple of shots of the underside of my frog. Excuse the blurry images, I'm no Lord Litchfield LOL.
You'll notice the tips of the legs have small swim fins about 1" long, these are perpendicular to the lay of the body. They're quite small and the legs have ridge like dimples molded in along their length, hope this helps with your ID.
Seaweed.
handbrake View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handbrake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2015 at 10:10pm
I was wading through old posts and found 2 on Barra Frogs.

Australian Lures> Aussie Lures> General Discussion page 11
Barra Frogs Revisited 17/5/10
Barra Frog from the 70's 15/2/10
handbrake View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handbrake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2015 at 9:34am
Info- Ref Encyclopedia of Australian Fishing Page 1071-2, no photo, Vic McC state Sid Boland made them in 1930s. The blue folder was a weekly addition by Bay Books in the late 1970s.
francisj1 View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote francisj1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2016 at 2:24pm
G'day Guys, I have an original Sid Boland Barra Frog in its original cardboard box with the yellow label attached. The Design is copyright by: Barra Products LTD - Rockhampton
Seaweed View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
née Capt.Seaweed

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seaweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2016 at 2:44pm
Gee Francis, joined June2013 and your first post?
Don't be shy,would be interested in seeing a shot of the frog in the packaging, I'm sure Deb (Handbrake), would be too.
Regards, Tony.
handbrake View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handbrake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2016 at 9:33pm
I would love to see the in package barra frog. Any idea on the date it was bought.
horrorhead View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLover of the Year 2020

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2016 at 9:29am
That would be good to seeThumbs Up
Martin-

you don't havta be pretty to fish
francisj1 View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote francisj1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2016 at 1:06pm
G'day Guys, its just part of what I've been collecting for many years (mainly fly fishing gear)

francisj1 View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote francisj1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2016 at 1:07pm
The full label:

francisj1 View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote francisj1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2016 at 1:09pm
And the Frog :-)

francisj1 View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote francisj1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2016 at 1:10pm
top view

francisj1 View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote francisj1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2016 at 1:16pm
This is one wall of my shed. Not sure how to turn the photos the right way up. :-)

Seaweed View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
née Capt.Seaweed

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seaweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2016 at 2:41pm
G'day Francis, not convinced that this is a Sid Boland original, could this be a later copy? Sid was from Ingham not Rockhampton, however, having said this, they may have purchased the rights later? Look at my original frog in previous posts, you'll notice subtle differences ie. in yours no two smaller molding nodes on underside, ripples missing along the legs of yours. Would be great if Alan, (Sid's grandson) sees this post, he could maybe shed some light.
Great picture of your collection by the way.
Regards, Seaweed.
francisj1 View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote francisj1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2016 at 3:06pm
Could very easily be a later copy although P.O. Box 12 at Rockhampton would suggest a very early era.
That picture is just of the wall above the display cabinet. There is also a compactus filled with fishing related items, the other three walls and rafters :-)
hooknose View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hooknose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2016 at 3:54pm
nice collection Francis
congrats
Cheers Steve r
MAN I LOVE FISHING ! ! !
francisj1 View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote francisj1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2016 at 7:37pm
I probably shouldn't state this on a lure collecting folder but I don't collect lures, they are just a by product of my fly fishing purchases and look pretty on the wall and in the cabinet.

horrorhead View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLover of the Year 2020

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2016 at 10:58pm
Not to worry mate, many of us on site don't collect luresWink
Martin-

you don't havta be pretty to fish
Seaweed View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
née Capt.Seaweed

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seaweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2018 at 12:13pm
Debbie, did you ever track down an original Barra Frog by Sid Boland for your collection?
Regards, Tony.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic