LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Australian Lures > NSW Lures > Trevor McFeeters
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Sinking Mini-Dart

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussbasstony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sinking Mini-Dart
    Posted: 17 Jan 2013 at 11:27am

The sinking Dart, all of mine at least that I know of float!LOL

Got this lure off a friend whom has been fishing for many  years and has a history in the Area of New England and surrounding waters.

Conversation turned to fishing and lures and conception of a couple I asked about.  I asked about the Mc-Feeter Mini Dart and before I could continue he stated a lure and called the colour long before he found it and the story behind him getting it. 

I was lead to believe that this lure was one of the very first of the Mini Darts and when he went to fish it it sank like a rock.  See attached Photo !

My friend got this lure off Trevor personally 

In continuing pictures you can see the difference in Bib sizes and not that this was even after my friend had tried to file the Bib so it would float like it was meant to.  No luck with the floating and hence why it still exists instead of lost to the fish God's LOL

The rest is history as Trevor obviously got the recipe right for the Mini-Dart as we know it !

Glad to have it as the story behind the lure and a friend passing it on makes it more special Thumbs Up

Nice colour and not so common colour for the Mini !

Debbie I would like your thoughts if you have any info. 

P.S.  I have not listed any dates or lay claim to time frames so if the Date police have nothing constructive to say..........Don't say anything !! 

Cheers Tony          

dalbykayakin View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Smick Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dalbykayakin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2013 at 1:03pm
LOL Date police. Good one
Aussbasstony View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussbasstony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2013 at 1:36pm
Originally posted by dalbykayakin dalbykayakin wrote:

LOL Date police. Good one

Glad you laughed at it mate !
Expressions are hard to see on a key board, it was tongue in cheek
bdowdy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bdowdy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2013 at 2:41pm
talked to trev and he never made a sinking dart and in his own words he said it must be a f up..lol....did say that he made some lures with rattles which he said hes never seen again...hope that helps , nice lure anyhow
hunting and fishing the new england
Powelly View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Powell Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Powelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2013 at 2:58pm
Tony, it's not unusual to have some 'floating' lures sink.  It's just a density issue.  The timber may be more dense, the lure a bit smaller (usually because the bandsaw cut is inside the template lines or the timber is narrower) or the hardware, bibs, glue etc is a bit heavier.

My old Tiny Diggers, which would be a similar size to the Mini Darts, were a floating lure but I used to get some that were neutral buoyancy or slow sinkers.  My Trout lure is the same.

It's also not unusual to use different bib shapes, sizes and angles with the one type of lure.  My Diggers, Little Diggers and Moogerah Minnow templates all have 2 or 3 different bib angles and different bibs.

Cheers

Travers
stinger View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2013 at 3:02pm
GEZZZZZ boys slow down ya gunna break tonys heart
REMEMBER FOOLS RUSH IN WERE ANGELES FEAR TO TREAD
handbrake View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handbrake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2013 at 3:23pm
Date Police? I can remember not so long ago everyone wanting to know dates and eras. I found an article on new items 1993 how Trevor had designed the minidart whilst recooperating from an accident. Back to the sinking mini dart- obviously a thicker bib at a different angle. Maybe if we knew if the owner was a lure maker in the area it would help. Trevor did try different things with his lures and lots of lures laying around were generously given to friends to try. Who knows?
  Debbie D
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussbasstony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2013 at 3:49pm

@ Blowdy-   I'm sure Trevor never intentionally made a sinking Dart and I reckon it was what you called it LOL

@ Travis-    Thanks Travis for your feedback always welcome and informative, I know it had a larger bib which was the cause of the sinking most likely that's why it was filed down or tried to file it. Thumbs Up

@ Stinger-   won't break my heart mate don't worry, still happy to get it from where I did and hang in cabinet ! Big smile

@ Debbie- Thommo was asking for dates to signatures I think ?
Thanks for the info and I also have old Mag's which talk about the new Mini dart dated spring 1998 but these words could of been held over for a while in the magazines head quarters. 

Cheers Tony 

froggy06 View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote froggy06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2013 at 4:21pm
Tony , nice little lure mate , has it been signed ? has it got mini dart written on it anywhere ? Is it confirmed as an original mini dart ? Thumbs Up Dont shoot me Wink im just asking the question as i have purchased 2 ( so called ) mini darts only to find that they were not originalsConfused
Powelly View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Powell Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Powelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2013 at 4:36pm
Originally posted by handbrake handbrake wrote:

I found an article on new items 1997 how Trevor had designed the minidart whilst recooperating from an accident.
  Debbie D
Debbie, that explains why I had no knowledge of the Mini Dart, while I lived in Tenterfield.  I moved from Tenterfield in January 1997.

Travers
Nicho View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Nichos Maulers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2013 at 5:10pm
Originally posted by Powelly Powelly wrote:

Originally posted by handbrake handbrake wrote:

I found an article on new items 1997 how Trevor had designed the minidart whilst recooperating from an accident.
  Debbie D
Debbie, that explains why I had no knowledge of the Mini Dart, while I lived in Tenterfield.  I moved from Tenterfield in January 1997.

Travers

sorry off topiic but 1997!!!!!!!!!!GO NEWCASTLE!Smile
Nichos Maulers Homemade timber lures....THEY CATCH FISH!

YA DONT KNOW...IF YA DONT GO...SO GET OUT THERE AND... FISH IT
horrorhead View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLover of the Year 2020

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2013 at 5:37pm
Where should newcastle go to..............?
Martin-

you don't havta be pretty to fish
Darby View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fishaholic Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2013 at 6:09pm
Tony, from the pics it looks to have a thicker bib than usual, that extra weight might be the reason it sinks.
Unique lure for your collection Thumbs Up
Brad
"If you are going to have fun with your rod.. get some wood

froggy06 View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote froggy06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2013 at 6:18pm
You are correct Tony a great little unique lure for any collection , the only thing that i question is the size of the bib , the angle of the bib to the nose of the lure and the size , the pointy nose , the size of the tow point holes ? if im way off track with my observations please correct me , as im keen to know any little points that help identify any lures Thumbs Up im in no way " canning " the lure , just keen to have my questions confirmed or denied for future buying / trading.
Powelly View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Powell Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Powelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2013 at 6:22pm
Originally posted by Darby Darby wrote:

Tony, from the pics it looks to have a thicker bib than usual, that extra weight might be the reason it sinks.
Unique lure for your collection Thumbs Up
Brad
Yep, the bib is thick and large, but the lure is a smaller profile and the trebles and split rings look a 'little' over sized!Confused  Poor little lure didn't have much hope of being a floater!!

Travers
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussbasstony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2013 at 6:38pm
Originally posted by froggy06 froggy06 wrote:

Tony , nice little lure mate , has it been signed ? has it got mini dart written on it anywhere ? Is it confirmed as an original mini dart ? Thumbs Up Dont shoot me Wink im just asking the question as i have purchased 2 ( so called ) mini darts only to find that they were not originalsConfused

Nigel,

no it does not have Mini dart written on it or signed, The fisherman I got it from was handed it out of Trevor' shed and he was not a lure maker. 
There is a few lures floating around which were painted by Trevor's son and I purchased a couple of these knowing this information and happy to have them in the full collection for history. 

You are correct Tony a great little unique lure for any collection , the only thing that i question is the size of the bib , the angle of the bib to the nose of the lure and the size , the pointy nose , the size of the tow point holes ? if im way off track with my observations please correct me , as im keen to know any little points that help identify any lures Thumbs Up im in no way " canning " the lure , just keen to have my questions confirmed or denied for future buying / trading.

Nigel, as I pointed out the Bib on this lure was filed down and tried to make it float and fish how the previous owner wanted it to.  This was one of the very first Mini Darts made and as others have stated there is going to be variants in each.  

And why I post this lure with the info I have to help others and show what is out there. Big smile
Powelly View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Powell Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Powelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2013 at 6:41pm

You are correct Tony a great little unique lure for any collection , the only thing that i question is the size of the bib , the angle of the bib to the nose of the lure and the size , the pointy nose , the size of the tow point holes ? if im way off track with my observations please correct me , as im keen to know any little points that help identify any lures Thumbs Up im in no way " canning " the lure , just keen to have my questions confirmed or denied for future buying / trading.

Nigel, I think that part of the problem is that too many people, now, think like a collector.  Remember that these are 'home made' creations and nobody in the 1980's/1990's had any idea that somebody would want to collect their lures.  They were made for fishing - nothing else.  This Mini Dart could have been a simple variation, a prototype, a special request etc.

The home made, Cottage Industry lures weren't identical lures, churned out in a factory.  They were usually made with the most basic machinery, with materials that were difficult to get hold of and pieces of timber that were about the right thickness .  When I first met Peter Newell, I was amazed that he could even cut lures out on the bandsaw that he had. Obtaining sheet aluminium was near impossible, which is why he used aluminium from screen doors.

Also, many of the lures were made for locals, who would drop in and request variations.  I started making lures for my own use so the Digger was available in variations that I used - same body, but 3 different bib sizes, 3 bib angles and a couple of different widths - it all depended on whether I wanted to use the lures to troll Glenlyon Dam, fish deep rocky gorges or fish shallow rivers.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that you can't read too much into variations in a lure.

Cheers

Travers
simon bruce View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Guide
LureLovers.com Guide

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simon bruce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2013 at 7:08pm
Or you can read a lot into variations in a lure which is what keeps collectors collecting.

Good explanation Travers on the vagaries of handmade lure production and for me its some of what adds to the charm and challenge of handmade timber lures.

The caveat being trying to understand the general identifiers as to what identifies a particular lure as being from a maker.

the fish aren't art critics
froggy06 View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote froggy06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2013 at 7:19pm
Travers , thanks mate for the reply , im only learning and i have the moto " if you dont ask a question " you will never know the answer , and it seems to be more prevelant in the field of lure collecting. The variations in these old hand carved timber lures must be endless , with the variations in each lure. In fact you could call each hand carved timber lure a " one off " Thumbs Up I would have loved to been around in the rite time and place to phyically stand there an watch these blokes create these little master pieces. If they only had a crystal ball to see 30 years into the future Confused being only new to lure collecting , i think we all owe so much to these blokes , and the special connection they have given us to these lures. If you really think about it now days , it was a " hard way " to make a dollar . To hold a mint condition lure in your hand that was mde 20 - 30 years ago is a special feeling Wink and gives even more praise to the fine men that made them. The finnish and detail  seems flawless , like they were created yesterday. To all you lure makers of today and the creators of yesteryear , thanks for those " special " feelings you give us all when we hold one of your little creations. Keep carving brothers ClapClap     
Powelly View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Powell Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Powelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2013 at 7:50pm

Travers , thanks mate for the reply , im only learning and i have the moto " if you dont ask a question " you will never know the answer , and it seems to be more prevelant in the field of lure collecting. The variations in these old hand carved timber lures must be endless , with the variations in each lure. In fact you could call each hand carved timber lure a " one off " Thumbs Up I would have loved to been around in the rite time and place to phyically stand there an watch these blokes create these little master pieces. Clap     

Nigel, I wasn't having a go at anyone, just making the point that variations in a lure design may not mean too much.

I'm still a "dinosaur" of the lure making world and you, and anyone else, are most welcome to call in and say g'day and see how cavemen used to make lures.  It's a conscious decision on my part to maintain the old hand carved luremaking ways, mostly because of my freindship and respect for Peter Newell. I get a little embarrassed when I compare my 'old school' paintjobs with the works of art that Padgey and fletch come up with, but it's all about maintaining some old crafts and traditions.

Most luremakers, even those who still hand carve their lures, should aspire to make their lures with little variation, which is why I use templates and carving lines.  I aim to have a uniform product, but offer variations within the range.  There shouldn't be too many "one off" lures, unless they are prototypes or special orders.

Cheers

Travers

steiny View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steiny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2013 at 7:54pm
I dont think your paintjobs are old school. Travers, you make and paint a very nice lure especially some of those new colours...candle apple, californian gold, pearl white etc
cheers steiny
stinger View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2013 at 8:08pm
mmmmmm all interesting ,,,,,,,i hope youve seen this post cornboy .....as you have an odd dart you were trying to confirm how about putting another pic of it up ...ROD
Strangalures View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strangalures Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2013 at 8:52pm
Interesting lure Tony!

I like the colour as well I just wanted to ask if your mate had any luck with it?

As its got the little chip out of the bum or is that just a drop or knock?

Thanks Rick

Travers put the kettle on I'm packing my bags to come stay as an apprentice Big smile

Rick LOL

Fish Choking Lures :)
froggy06 View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote froggy06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2013 at 9:16pm
Not the way i intended it to come across Travers Thumbs Down i wasnt pointing or implying you were having a go at anyone mate Thumbs Up i think its great when someone finds a little " gem " amongst the piles of lures made and sold , lets see some more posted up Thumbs Up show us your " odd ball " lures and put another one them same up with it so we can see the differences LOL  
stinger View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2013 at 11:25pm
YER TRUE FROGGY......come on cornboy
handbrake View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handbrake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2013 at 9:15pm
Well an apology is in order. SORRY for any mis information guys. I just arrived home from Murwillumbah and looked at my notepad on Trevor's dates from old mags and found it was 1993 Aug Modern Fishing Sunshine Connection page 39. T&J McFeeters New England Hwy. pre divorce. I'm trying to find a calendar of events to date his signatures and lures because Trevor had no written details. Debbie D
This just shows I should check and double check dates before posting them.
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussbasstony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2013 at 9:46pm
Debbie ,

Much appreciative for the dates it helps me and many others on this site.

Cheers tony
handbrake View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handbrake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2013 at 8:45pm
This is the article I mentioned.1993.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic