Forum Home Forum Home > Australian Lures > NSW Lures > John Bennett
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Small Bennett

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Stall Holder
Stall Holder

Tonk Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lure-Nut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Small Bennett
    Posted: 06 Apr 2012 at 4:16pm
Pulled this out of a mate's tackle box and would like a bit more info as I'm not a Bennett expert by any means. Over the years I've had plenty of these with the metal bib and presumably timber but this one looks like it's moulded with a plastic bib - now I know it's genuine cause I was there when it was bought in the '90's but where does it fit into the whole Bennett history ???

My gut feel is that it's a transition lure and probably of a limited run but I'm happy to hear from the experts before I pass it on, to I'm presuming, a Bennett Collector LOL

Aussbasstony View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussbasstony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2014 at 4:35pm
Any of the Bennett experts out there shed some info on these model lures ?

Cheers
Oldman View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Guide
LureLovers.com Guide

Beta Tester

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2014 at 6:57pm
Brett will be able to do a better job than me on this, but I believe it  to be johns first non timber lure.
the poly bib was cut with the same tool that he cut the metal bibs with (original timber lure).
Not many around (I believe them to be rarer than the earlier timber ones)
For what ever reason, John went to the round bib and stuck with it till he sold to Dan Mcgrath.
The "round" bibs were machine cut for a while, then moulded  till Dan took over.
Dan continued with the thin moulded bib for some time then went to the thicker moulded bib that is still being used.
I once thought that the moulded bibs were exclusive to dan Mcgrath, but Brett sorted me out on that.
Laurie.
Oldman View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Guide
LureLovers.com Guide

Beta Tester

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2014 at 7:00pm
Rob
Can you remember what the date and time that the lure was bought?LOL
It would help fill in the holes on the history of this little beauty.
Laurie.
bullrout22 View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bullrout22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2014 at 9:08pm

Rob

Laurie is right and yes agree they are harder to find than the Timber ones a top lure Rob

as for dates made I do not know but it would be great to find out

Dave
Dave Lake Macquarie N.S.W

LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussbasstony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2014 at 8:43am
Laurie thanks for that bit of info just curious that's all !  So the moulded bibs with the small circle are also Bennetts ?   These sound like the Plastic Edwards harder to find than the timber Smile

Cheers 
Oldman View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Guide
LureLovers.com Guide

Beta Tester

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2014 at 9:26am
Tony
the thin moulded bib (circle underneath) was used by both John and Dan.
The problem is being able to tell the difference.
I believe that john had a "jig" that he used for the eyes, and dan did them by hand, some say that you can tell by the position of the eyes, but that is not 100% accurate.
Laurie
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Aussbasstony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2014 at 12:07pm

Seems they come out of wood works when you least expect it LOL

in one sale there were 5 in different colours for the lucky winner, if it was someone on here and would like to pass one on please message me Wink

Great looking little models !! 

redfish11 View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redfish11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2014 at 4:08pm

Here is another Rob.
It has yellow eyes though.
I've not seen another, timber or plastic, with the white eyes like the lure in your pic has.

Allan

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic