LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Lure Making > The Luremakers Shed
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Small Gravity Fed Paint Gun

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dishley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Small Gravity Fed Paint Gun
    Posted: 19 Feb 2013 at 12:56pm
So the next question is, what size paint gun for applying the clear?

There's mini ones at .5mm, small at 1.2mm-1.8mm and they seem to go up from there. Which do you use and why?
Would a siphon feed airbrush do the same job, if I added 4 coats instead of 2 or 3? 
seagull View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seagull Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2013 at 1:13pm

Yep i use a small hvlp gravity gun with a 1mm nozzle works fine for me.You can also get spare nozzles diff sizes if you look around in different places.Then just practice with it till you find the best spray pattern for the job not to woder pattern and not to thin eithr as a thin pattern stream will give you RUNS.

Errol
bassnbob View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
B.O.B Timber Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassnbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2013 at 1:31pm
THEM bagers are perfect for the clear coat not as dear as the other guns hey errolWinkregards bob
bassnbob View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
B.O.B Timber Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassnbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2013 at 1:33pm
SNAPPERS there BADGERLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOL
seagull View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seagull Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2013 at 1:46pm
Espially at the price you told me BOB WinkWink bargain that deal.Now were does BOB live againhes got some neat gear in his man cave.
dishley View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dishley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2013 at 2:29pm
There's a .7mm going for $15 with free postage. I'll give that a go, if it's no good at clears I can always use it for bases. 
seagull View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seagull Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2013 at 2:35pm
Yer go for it
Powelly View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Powell Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Powelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2013 at 2:49pm
dishley, have a look at this post:

If the $15 gravity feed gun is one from China, they work well for a while but just stop working properly after a while.  I bought a couple (the one with the blue/yellow hose extension) to do the red blush on the throat of the lures.  The cone nozzle works good for this finer spraying.  I couldn't find any quick-fit fittings that would screw onto the thread in the gun, hence the short air hose extension.

I've bought most of my gravity feed guns from UK Ebay and US Ebay.

Cheers

Travers

dishley View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dishley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2013 at 2:50pm
Thanks again for the help Errol. I definitely owe you a couple of beers if we ever meet.
Darby View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fishaholic Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2013 at 4:54pm
I got one of these.... http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Mini-Gravity-Feed-Touch-Up-Air-Spray-Gun-/160974033474?pt=AU_Air_Tools&hash=item257accd242

So far I have sprayed Clear, Clear with glitter, Undercoat and Etch primer through it and it still comes up smiling...easy to clean with the side mounted pot, and the workings are easy to get at and remove, AND it has a standard 1/4 bsp thread for fitment of popular connectors.

Brad
"If you are going to have fun with your rod.. get some wood

dishley View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dishley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2013 at 5:23pm
This is the one I got from the US. Sorry, it was $9 with apparently free postage, i'm awaiting a message to confirm that though.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p4712.m570.l1313&_nkw=Gravity+Feed+Touch+Up+Mini+Air+Sprayer+HVLP+Auto+Spray+Gun&_sacat=0&_from=R40
Darby View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fishaholic Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2013 at 8:55pm
Looks like the same gun with a smaller tip, should do everything you would want except maybe glitters which need at least 1mm tips.

Cheap enough even if they hit you for some dollars for international post.

Brad
"If you are going to have fun with your rod.. get some wood

Mcleod View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder

Macquarie Customs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mcleod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2013 at 9:21pm
ash, go with what the manufacturer recommends in their tech doco. Its there for a reason. For me I use a 1.4mm HVLP gun I got from supercheap. Hasnt missed a beat and line's up with what is recommended.

Angus
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic