LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > International Lures > North American Fishing Lures > USA Lures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Soft body lures

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trevron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Soft body lures
    Posted: 03 Jul 2011 at 7:53pm
Sorry the words didn't fit in with the pics, I had a seniors moment. The these are Burke Flex plugs which are solid totally soft rubber? I think from the late 70's. They had other models, deep divers called the Big & Little Big Dig, which I had and sold in a garage sale before I had enlightenment. They are in perfect condition and have not perished like  old Flopy's do.
Trev
Darby View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fishaholic Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2011 at 9:55pm
what about the pic Trev ?????
You show us yours and I will too LOL
"If you are going to have fun with your rod.. get some wood

trevron View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trevron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2011 at 8:28am
Hi Brad, the pics are under the post "are soft body lures new"
Just another thing on a different subject, some of the old fish stocking crew are getting involved with Wyalarong Dam stocking. I'll send you some details as they come to hand if you are interested
Trev
Darby View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fishaholic Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2011 at 10:14am
took some effort but finally found that post Trevor, I'll post my collection here, and maybe Tony can make a Burke section under USA lures???

Clockwise from top right.
Top Dog, Weedless Pop Top, Abu Cello, Bassassin, Pop Top, Weedless Shadoo, Little Dig, Big Dig.
In the middle are a selection of the insects and frogs.

and some background info....
Burke began producing lures in Traverse City, Michigan in 1968, mainly copying CCBC & Heddon lures but in a soft foam material they marketed as 'Flexo Plugs'.
I have a lure in box with paper from the Michigan address and it does not have a ZIP code on it anywhere, which usually indicates printing prior to 1973. It also shows Burke to be a division of McClellan Industries Inc. McClellan are listed as: Manufacturing Business: Sporting and Athletic Goods.
These lures continued to be made up until the late 1980's. 1987 saw the introduction of moulded soft vinyl frogs, insects and fish added to the range. Burke also did a version of the Big Dig and the Popper (the Blue one I have) for Abu in the early 1970's.
according to the web, Burke are still in existence...
Burke Flex-O Products
5401 Kent Drive,
Tyler, TX 75707
Which coincidentally is also the address of Creme Lures, another famous lure company. Nick Creme produced the first commercial 'soft plastic' lures in 1949 with the Creme Worm. Creme was based in Akron, Ohio.Nick Creme died November 29, 1984. Ownership of the company was then passed to his 3 children, and the company continued under the management of his son, Mike Creme.

Knight Manufacturing bought CREME lures from the Creme Family in 1989 after discussing a merger for more than a year. Knight Manufacturing had made a name for itself in the industry after being started as a garage business in 1965 by Wayne Kent, and his wife, Judy. The company went nationwide in 1976 with its introduction of the Tube worm and continued to prosper with a number of different products.
From what I can see on the Creme website, the Flexo Pugs are no longer made, but the insects and frogs are now part of the Creme product range.

Brad

"If you are going to have fun with your rod.. get some wood

Screamingreel View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2011 at 6:12pm
Brad ,some interesting info there
trevron View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trevron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2011 at 9:21pm
Great selection Brad, and history. You have kept more than I did. I remember that Top Dog. The one you don't seem to have is the one in my pic with the angle face, a bit like a cut plug. I don't know the name, they are usually on the lure, but mine has worn off.
Trev
handbrake View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handbrake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2013 at 9:03pm
I scored these Burke lures on Xmas Day to add to my collection.
chooka44 View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chooka44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2014 at 9:26pm
Kalen also did some rubber/soft lures mainly topwater from memory including glow in the dark walk the dog style called a Dorky Pop from memory
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic