LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Lure Making > Make your own Fishing Lures > Lures you have made
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

some new styles.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beer-breath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: some new styles.
    Posted: 07 Feb 2017 at 1:44pm
so, i found out over the summer, that my main trolling speed is just a bit fast for the style of plug that i had been making. i make them over the winter, and my boat is put away. i was going out to the lake and testing their action by casting off the dock. they looked fantastic, but later found they are just too erratic at my boat's lowest speed.
that led to me coming up with another design. and this one has been very good at my trolling speeds. and even better, the fish agreed.
here is the newer shapes that i made.

beer-breath View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beer-breath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2017 at 1:46pm
oh brother. not this again.
i haven't been on in ages. seems i completely forgot again how to post a pic.
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beer-breath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2017 at 1:47pm
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beer-breath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2017 at 1:50pm
the three top lures, the grey, the green, and the black/gold all have done really well.
the style i am going to continue to make for my trolling are the grren one and the grey one.
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beer-breath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2017 at 1:55pm
here's 97 more pieces ready for shaping.

Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beer-breath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2017 at 2:05pm
i was originally hand-carving my lures. all done by hand, right from me going out and cutting my wood down, drying it(which takes waaaay too long, one year or more is what i was doing), then sitting down and whittling away, shaping it just right, then sanding, and finally painting and clearcoat.
i was really proud to be doing it all myself, by my own hands, from start to finish.
but i soon found i was loving the painting soo much. that led to me wanting to get to that stage much faster, and deciding to start using tools to speed the other steps up. so i then went to using a sander, one with a disc sander on one part of it with a table, and also a belt sander on the top area of it. i was using that to do all the shaping of the lures, then the final sanding by hand to get smoother. and i'll use a dremel with a sanding drum or a round carving bit to shape the cups. i added a scroll saw last week to get the main shapes cut a little more precise prior to sanding.
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beer-breath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2017 at 2:14pm

i use a through-hole design for attaching to my hook. i run a swivel through the whole body attached to a split-ring at the bottom, which grips into the bottom of the hole and holds straight that way. and a swivel with the hook is attached to that split-ring. and i tie to the upper end of the swivel that runs through the body.

what i prefer about this style of connection, is that it allows the lure to run up the line while fighting a fish. and doing this, it then lets me fight the fish directly on the line. plus, the fish can't use the lure to twist the hook out of it's mouth.
and the best bonus of this connection, is that if the line were to break, be it from a snag or a huge fish, the lure isn't then lost as it will float to the surface.
so far, i have been drilling the holes completely freehand. holding the lure, but i've now rigged a way to clamp then in the vise, and eye-balling the angle and center and drilling through. i want to improve on that for better accuracy and consistency though, and figure out a jig of some sort for holding the lure under a drill press.
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beer-breath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2017 at 2:17pm
here's a couple others i made, more like the style i had been making though.

horrorhead View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLover of the Year 2020

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2017 at 2:36pm
Looking good - I take it you are mainly chasing salmon?

I don't know how this type of lure works in Australia - they should work well in the appropriate areas. I'm thinking in our faster flowing trout streams.

But how about trolling for pelagics in the saltwater?
Martin-

you don't havta be pretty to fish
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beer-breath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2017 at 2:49pm
i mainly fish trout. rainbows in particular, but lakers and bull trout bite ocassionally also.
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beer-breath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2017 at 2:54pm
my main fishing style i am using is trolling. i do everything else also, pontoon boat(belly boat), river fishing, casting from shore, etc. but these are for my trolling in the larger lakes.
i run them bare usually, and they will pull about twenty feet or so, on their own. i am gauging that by how one was thumping off the rocks on the bottom just out from shore where i was camped.
when i want to run them deeper, i just put a slip-weight up the line a ways in front of them. 1 0z, 2 0z, or 3 oz.
alot of guys will use a downrigger also to get them down to desired depths, especially those much deeper depths. our lakers generally are at about 120 feet.
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beer-breath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2017 at 2:57pm
i have video of some of them underwater. i will try to put it up tomorrow maybe.
Ces View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ces Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2017 at 5:34pm
these are very cool mate. the bibless crankbait style are fantastic pieces of engineering.

thanks for showing. Would love to see a video of them swimming.

cheers,

ces.
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beer-breath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2017 at 1:06pm
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beer-breath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2017 at 1:29pm
hmmm. there's no "insert video" icon. i'm sure it was there last night. was about to add video, but no option showing.
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beer-breath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2017 at 3:19pm
k, the video selection is here now. i am on my old computer which is windows 7. my new 'puter is windows 10, and that video strip option wasn't there. is there a bug maybe with the site and windows 10??
but, i still can't figure out how to attach a video from youtube. i copied the url, but i cannot paste anywhere in the "insert movie" option.
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beer-breath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2017 at 3:23pm
[TUBE][/TUBE]
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beer-breath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2017 at 4:27pm
went for a drive out to my local lake yesterday. good thing i'm still at the shaping phase of my lures, and not ready for testing them yet.
it's our hard-water season right now.

Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beer-breath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2017 at 12:57pm
alrighty then. finally figured out the video thing.
here's the trolling action of these new styles i have made.

Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beer-breath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2017 at 1:01pm
now the action isn't always in frame. sorry. i was holding the rod in one hand and the camera on the end of a pole in the other. and i would try to manipulate the lure and the camera together, not knowing for sure if it was capturing or not.
and i was using terminal tackle to connect to lures just for the videos, as i was changing through all the lures to film their actions, and wanted to do quick-changes. fishing, i am tied directly to the swivel.
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beer-breath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2017 at 1:04pm
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beer-breath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2017 at 1:10pm
here is my first style of lure. these cast and retrieve really great, with great action, but i found my trolling speed to be just a tad fast for them. looking at them now though, they don't look quite as crazy/wobbly as i thought they did.

Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beer-breath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2017 at 1:11pm
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beer-breath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2017 at 1:27pm

here's a little rainbow i caught on this one the very first time it was put in the water.
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2017 at 5:27pm
You've nailed the action with those mateClapClapClap - yep they will work on many of our speciesClap
Martin-

Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beer-breath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2017 at 2:47am
Thanks, horror. Im pretty pleased with them. I was mistaken on their running depth though, i think. If i remember correctly, when i was hitting bottom at 30 feet, i was running a slip weight on the line. That now makes sense. There's another test for me this season, to determine their true depths. Woo-hoo, more reasons to be out on the water.
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beer-breath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2017 at 1:40pm
spring is coming. well, over 2 months still, almost three til my target time, but the weather has finally started to warm a little. it's been a cold, snowy winter this year. one good, warm day and it feels like it's just around the corner. cannot wait.

dangit. was going to add a video, but, on my new computer and no video link. does anyone know why it isn't there? my old laptop is windows 7 and it's fine, but upgraded to new laptop with windows 10 and the video link is missing. ???
p.j. View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
P.J's Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p.j. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2017 at 5:54pm
Nice Lures and a great action. 
As the Rainbow show Fish catchers well done Smile

Knaek & Break (tight lines)
             Per
P.J. LURES
SO SMOKING HOT
EVEN CUSTOM DOGS LIKE THEM
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beer-breath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2017 at 3:27pm
thanks p.j.
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beer-breath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2017 at 12:11pm
from last summer.
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beer-breath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2017 at 1:05pm
forgot about some of my fish i have on vid.

this is what i am mostly fishing for, beautiful rainbow trout. i'll catch lake trout, bull trout, and dollies on these trips as well, but i'm usually targeting the rainbows.
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beer-breath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2017 at 4:14am
does anyone else get completely side-tracked while painting their lures? I just did a batch of 13(baker's dozen), and when I began, I had a couple definite patterns that were my goal for two or three lures. awhile later, they are all painted, and I still don't have the ones I was planning on most.(ha)
my problem, is that it's usually quite awhile between my painting sessions. and i'm always quite excited to get to it. another problem is probably my methods. I do a whole group of lures all at once, not concentrating on one specific lure itself at a time. they all begin ready with a coat of white primer. and as I put the different colours in the airbrush, I hit each plug with that colour if it is getting it. so each plug is in varying stages of completion throughout the painting session. it works well enough, but definitely doesn't seem to be the best for planned ideas, as I seem to get absorbed in the painting and always end up painting them by the seat of my pants. I guess another problem is that I am always wanting to create something new, a new style, and i'm almost never re-creating set patterns.
I think I will have to try slowing down and try to concentrate on a lure at a time, as my "set-out" ideas when I begin my painting session almost never get made, instead, I get wrapped up in "creating" as I go.

how do your painting sessions go? a design at a time or multiple at once?
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beer-breath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2017 at 4:18am
I also came up with a whole new plug design. i'm super-excited with it and can't wait to start making more, and even more excited to get to painting them up. I just took the proto out and tested it at the nearby lake, which just finally hit the ice-off stage. it's swims awesomely and is going to be a slayer.
pictures will be up when done.
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2017 at 5:50pm
No use asking me on too much artistic, I've got nil patience to try to develop any sort of artistic talent.

But I love appreciating other hard work and commitment and looking forward to seeing your new designThumbs Up
Martin-

hazmail View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Rayna Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hazmail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2017 at 8:33pm
Originally posted by beer-breath beer-breath wrote:

does anyone else get completely side-tracked while painting their lures? I just did a batch of 13(baker's dozen), and when I began, I had a couple definite patterns that were my goal for two or three lures. awhile later, they are all painted, and I still don't have the ones I was planning on most.(ha)
my problem, is that it's usually quite awhile between my painting sessions. and i'm always quite excited to get to it. another problem is probably my methods. I do a whole group of lures all at once, not concentrating on one specific lure itself at a time. they all begin ready with a coat of white primer. and as I put the different colours in the airbrush, I hit each plug with that colour if it is getting it. so each plug is in varying stages of completion throughout the painting session. it works well enough, but definitely doesn't seem to be the best for planned ideas, as I seem to get absorbed in the painting and always end up painting them by the seat of my pants. I guess another problem is that I am always wanting to create something new, a new style, and i'm almost never re-creating set patterns.
I think I will have to try slowing down and try to concentrate on a lure at a time, as my "set-out" ideas when I begin my painting session almost never get made, instead, I get wrapped up in "creating" as I go.

how do your painting sessions go? a design at a time or multiple at once?

I do this a lot ''beer breath'', make a blank, test it, looks good--make 20 and paint them all in sequence.... e.g---paint all the yellow then black then add all the various other colours, then finish with gluing in bibs / hangers etc, then fish them and for some reason most don't work as I thought, you would think I would know better by now ConfusedConfused. I just love painting them and forget about the minor things like, will it swim???....... I'm finally learning the lesson though (after probably 30 odd years), so much time wasted in painting and finish, I now make about 10 and test them all before I go anywhere near them with an airbrush and paint.
Hang in there.
Pete
   'RAYNA' ---Free Range Lures
peterayn@yahoo.com.au
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic