Forum Home Forum Home > Australian Lures > NSW Lures > Knols
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Some rare ones recently aquired.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
LureLovers.com Guide
LureLovers.com Guide
Beta Tester

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote CaptainCranky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Some rare ones recently aquired.
    Posted: 28 Jun 2015 at 10:31am

Some history for folks to ponder.
John's only lures he made in timber were in 1985 on Magnetic Island.
Prototype Foam filled PVC lures were made in early 90's and carved.
Natives were made in late 92-93.
The Journey is the Reward

Davent View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Davent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2015 at 2:40pm
Barry, I met John at lake Pejar near Crookwell in the 90,s it was actually around or on ANZAC day 91 or 92. 
John had just started making those skinny tube lures, and was testing them that weekend. I think I still have a couple he gave me that weekend. he was keen to catch a brown trout on one.

It was the 1st time I had met him,he was really friendly and seemed a genuine,nice bloke. At the time I had no idea about Knoll,s lures, he gave me some natives as well, which i gave a mate who was right into Cod fishing.

The ones I have don't look any different to the ones you posted.

Cheers Dave.

(ps, they were hard to cast in the windy conditions, and I didnt get any fish on them, but the old baltic minnow cleaned up!)
Atheism is a non prophet organisation
Seaweed View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
née Capt.Seaweed

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seaweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2015 at 3:03pm
Cranky, are these timber? I don't have a Knol's in my collection. If you'd like to trade for the barra one on right 3rd photo down, 110mm with metal bib, I have a lovely mint Elliot Mini Dart in red, I know you like em LOL.
If willing, bring to the Expo.
Regards, Tony.
"Always Merry and Bright"
CaptainCranky View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Guide
LureLovers.com Guide
Beta Tester

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CaptainCranky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2015 at 4:12pm
No lures above are timber.
The only timber ones he made had an aluminium shroud around the timber to protect them from toothy critters.

Tony View Drop Down
Admin
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2015 at 6:37pm
Very nice Barry!

Are the lures in the first three photo's all carved one's? A great collection of John's rarer lures there.
Cheers, Tony

For the love of Fishing Lures.
LureLovers.com Guide
LureLovers.com Guide
Beta Tester

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote CaptainCranky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2015 at 7:05pm
First 3 pics are of carved PVC lures.
John explained it to me that PVC was injected or filled with foam and then carved.The Foam filling allowed some to float.
I have not put the flotation to the test but will do ASAP.

Bigriver View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Kneller Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigriver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2015 at 9:02am
Originally posted by Davent Davent wrote:

Barry, I met John at lake Pejar near Crookwell in the 90,s it was actually around or on ANZAC day 91 or 92. 
John had just started making those skinny tube lures, and was testing them that weekend. I think I still have a couple he gave me that weekend. he was keen to catch a brown trout on one.

It was the 1st time I had met him,he was really friendly and seemed a genuine,nice bloke. At the time I had no idea about Knoll,s lures, he gave me some natives as well, which i gave a mate who was right into Cod fishing.

Cheers Dave.

(ps, they were hard to cast in the windy conditions, and I didnt get any fish on them, but the old baltic minnow cleaned up!)
Wow that is Freaky! I also met John at Pejar for the first time, must have been about the same time? He was casting those Leaping Lizards off the bank, I never paid to much attention to them on the day, I was totally immersed in fly fishing for trout at the time, and lure fishing for them was for the great unwashed  LOL. Nice score Baz Thumbs Up
Seaweed View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
née Capt.Seaweed

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seaweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2015 at 3:01pm
Thanks for the info. Barry, interesting carved PVC, never heard of that before.
Regards, Tony.
"Always Merry and Bright"
Davent View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2015 at 4:33pm
Originally posted by Bigriver Bigriver wrote:

Cheers Dave.

Wow that is Freaky! I also met John at Pejar for the first time, must have been about the same time? He was casting those Leaping Lizards off the bank, I never paid to much attention to them on the day, I was totally immersed in fly fishing for trout at the time, and lure fishing for them was for the great unwashed  LOL. Nice score Baz Thumbs Up
Geez, he must have really wanted one of those big browns! Wonder if he's still testing them at Pejar?
Didn't matter what I used, I sighted some enormous Browns there, but never got one, heaps of nice rainbows though.
Atheism is a non prophet organisation
Bigriver View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Kneller Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigriver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2015 at 7:19pm

Originally posted by Bigriver Bigriver wrote:

Cheers Dave.

Geez, he must have really wanted one of those big browns! Wonder if he's still testing them at Pejar?
Didn't matter what I used, I sighted some enormous Browns there, but never got one, heaps of nice rainbows though.
The big browns were taken at the spillway in Autumn, or up in the mouth of the Wollondilly (Sorry Baz, you can have your thread back now Embarrassed)
New Signing View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New Signing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2015 at 1:16pm
Whats the native with the really long nose on it.

For those of you discussing pejar, ive lived my whole life in goulburn and other than one summer afternoon where i caught 5 small rainbows in an afternoon on a pink tassie devil ive never enjoyed great success.

That very same day though i had a monster of a brown follow what i think is a tiny scorpion with a bright orange back and fluro yellow underside all the way to my feet, proceeding to lay there for a second before turning his head and splashing my feet
LureLovers.com Guide
LureLovers.com Guide
Beta Tester

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CaptainCranky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2015 at 2:21pm
I think the long nose was an experiment gone wrong.Very sketchy history on that one.

nativecomebackjk View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nativecomebackjk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2016 at 1:15pm
Hi there Dave I have heard knols lures will be bk in action very very shortly new range and old yep that's right
nativecomebackjk View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nativecomebackjk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2016 at 1:17pm
Hey hi captain hold of on the swaps for knols lures I hear they will be making a massive comeback very shortly spread the word
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic