LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Fishing Tackle > General Tackle Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Spcies down under different than in the USA?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote senkosam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Spcies down under different than in the USA?
    Posted: 13 Jan 2016 at 4:54am
I've posted ideas about lures we use in the U.S., from Maine to Florida, but I never took into consideration that the species we fish for might be totally different than in Australia - especially freshwater.  Do you have the same species of fish we generally fish for:

yellow and white perch

small mouth and largemouth bass

sunfish (many types)

northern pike and pickerel

walleye

channel and mud catfish

striped and hybrid bass

shad

trout (many species)

salmon

Those are only the ones I can think of at the present, but there are more depending on region. The most effective lures for the species sometimes overlaps, sometimes specific to the species.

How about the freshwater lures we use:
spinnerbaits and in-line spinners (Mepps)

skirted jigs with trailers

plastics of all designs (tubes, Senkos, frogs, swimbaits, grubs, etc.)

spoons (weedless and vertical use)

crankbaits

surface plugs (spooks and poppers)

I've read in this forum about fish I've never heard of and did a search to see what they looked like, how big they get, where they live, etc. What a variety!

Ces View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ces Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2016 at 12:28pm
on your list we have several species of trout and local species of salmon. the others i'm pretty sure you wont find here, though we do have english perch. just not sure if its the same species you are referring to.

cheers mate.

ces
Ducks View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ducks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2016 at 1:12pm
In the freshwater we have these Introduced species
 English/redfin perch
 brown and rainbow trout
 European carp (widespread)
 and some smaller Asian carps (more localised)
 Tilapia
 Atlantic and Chinook Salmon.
 Mosquito fish and a number of small aquarium species that have been established through ponds and farms flooding and occasionally deliberate release by idiots.

Our native species are basically endemic, with a few Northern exceptions that also inhabit close regional neighbours.
The main FW sport fish in the "Southern half" of Australia would probably be Australian bass (not the same as your bass) and estuary perch, Murray and Mary River cod, Yellow and Silver perch.
In the North the range of species would include barramundi, saratoga, sooty grunter (+ a range of other grunter species), jungle perch...
That probably covers most of the freshwater natives that people set out to target.

North and South is generalised, there are overlapping species in mid regions, etc. 
Saltwater is a whole new world again...

The list of lures designs are all more or less similar over here.  We probably don't use as many of the varied rigging techniques on soft plastics like drop shot rigs and whacky rigs and what not. Completely made up statistic but I would think 99.999% of soft plastics use would tend to stick with conventional jigheads and/or weedless rigged on worm hooks. And jigs are probably under-utilised here - and mostly would be bucktail jigs fished for pelagic saltwater fish more than in the fresh.  But then like I say, conventionally rigged soft plastics are extremely popular and probably fill some of that void.
Poolie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Poolie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2016 at 2:24pm
We have a few species of catfish although not as big as some of the species in the US and I guess the only other ones we have in common are introduced. We do have some similar ones like our Mangrove Jack and your Mangrove Snapper which are closely related. US and Japanese lures have worked here on a lot of different species for decades, the ones made for your largemouth seem to work well over here on Murray cod, Aus Bass, Golden Perch and Flathead.
Small Scale Lure Creations; Lure making on hold ATM.
senkosam View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote senkosam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2016 at 8:54pm
Wow! The variety of fish you go after are much larger than the species we have in New York.
Thanks for the info.
Ducks View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ducks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2016 at 9:18pm
That shouldn't be too surprising.
For some reason a lot of people think of Australia as a small country. Possibly because of our small population.

But New York state is just under 55,000 square miles.
Australia is 2.7 million square miles.
A 'fairer' comparison for species diversity and range of habitats would be Australia and the entire USA (3.6 million square miles).
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic