LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Fishing Tackle > General Tackle Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Split Ring Pliers

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Split Ring Pliers
    Posted: 14 Jan 2016 at 12:33pm
Hi All
Its Stupid again with some more Questions.
I am having trouble with split Rings or should I say the pliers I am using.
I was always taught that its a bad tradesman that blames his tools so I have held of on this and persevered with what I have.
Is there a be all to end all pair of split Ring pliers that will cater for all size split rings ??
I have had and thrown away several, mostly made in china some with recognized popular brand names on them but still made in china and identical to the made in china brands.
The ones I am using at the moment are $3.00 made in china stainless steel Ebay items but I have had better use with these than several others I have used, however I can not get them into the smaller split rings. To change the hooks I have been cutting the smaller rings of with wire cutters and putting bigger rings on with new hooks.
I have not swam the lures that I have done this with yet but it is likely that it will effect the action of the lure.
Help Please Kimo       
Fysshe Salmon View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Fysshe Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fysshe Salmon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2016 at 12:45pm
Kimo, it's pretty hard to get a "one size fits all" pair of pliers! I use two pairs myself, one for tiny split rings,(which I rarely use) and a bigger pair that seems to work on rings fron 1H to 7H.
The brand name is Ultra 420 Stainless.

Fysshe
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2016 at 1:31pm
don't be afraid to customise or even make a set from an ordinary pair of pliers Kimo,these guys are for tiny trout lure split rings(forget the size)they're made from a pair of small pliers that cost $2 from a cheapie shop,just roughly ground into shape and finished with a file they work perfectly
that's no how ye make porridge!
Ducks View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ducks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2016 at 1:39pm
You wont get a set that does bream through barra sizes mate.  I've tried too.  You end up with a pair that sits somewhere between the 2 sizes you actually need.

I use a Berkley set for small rings I think.  I've had them ages and they are awesome.
I recently lost my big set in Brazil but they were good as well, and were a no-name set from MoTackle. (Well actually I have them to my guide, after they got half destroyed being used to remove deep set hooks from toothy fish.  They were the longest set we had on the boat , unfortunately.)
Blinky View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Blinky's Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blinky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2016 at 2:33pm
I use Shimano split ring pliers, pretty pricey but they've lasted 6 years so far with out damage. They are good for 2H thru 6H......
I've tried the el cheapo styles and they usually last 6 months before getting turfed.....
Blinky.

Blinky's Lures.
The lures that catch fish, not fishermen.........
Facebook
hooknose View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hooknose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2016 at 3:39pm
My 2 bobs worth, for me I have 3 sets one for the little jobs(called a pincet (smith ltd)), one for my normal Barra type lures(smith ltd) and a big set for large rings on knife jigs etc(7 seas proshop).
Cheers Steve R

MAN I LOVE FISHING ! ! !
MadDogLures View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Mad Dog Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadDogLures Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2016 at 4:33pm
Hi Kimo, I use Halco made out of hardened tool steel, up to size #7 ( inclusive ) in the Owner & Decoy rings. cost $26.00 If you use them around saltwater you would have to spray them with WD-40.

Cheers,
Dave
Life is fishing!
Poolie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Poolie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2016 at 4:58pm
Valley Hill split ring tweezers are my favourite for little lures they're about $25 though, they can do cod and barra lures just, so if you're doing a lot you'll need some of the plier type ones mentioned above as well. The tweezer ones don't take up much room in the tacklebox either.
Small Scale Lure Creations; Lure making on hold ATM.
horrorhead View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLover of the Year 2020

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2016 at 6:06pm
I use the split ring pliers that Aldi put out a couple of times a year. I can usually pick them up for $3 once they have been sitting in their tray for a while. They come with a small "belt holder" that will hold any size pliers. As I am prone to losing things when walking the river banks up north Qld (one trip- 2 gaff, 2 lip grips, a set of pliers and a knifeCry) I don't spend up too big on fishing tools. The Aldi ones work well but are for medium to large rings only.
Martin-

you don't havta be pretty to fish
Nativeman View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nativeman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2016 at 7:35pm
I use the ones Ian uses, tough as nails, made from quality stainless steel, made in Australia too and about 25 bucks at all good tackle shops. 

bullrout22 View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bullrout22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2016 at 7:54pm
Try Texas pliers not cheap but great pliers
Dave Lake Macquarie N.S.W

steiny View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote steiny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2016 at 10:45pm
I am with Dave...Texas instruments all the way, but they do cost more. I have tried lots and these are the best I have ever used. Quite a few seem to get the spur jammed in between the ring.
cheers steiny
Kimo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2016 at 11:45pm
Thanks Guys I have taken all of these on board
Now I have to scout around down here ans see who might be carrying any of the above in stock or at least get a look at some to see what I like
$25.00 is not to much for a good set, would probably see me out anyway.
Thanks I will post what I end up with but I have not come across any of brands mentioned other than Berkly.
Cheers Kimo
Baroo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baroo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2016 at 5:38am

They really are worth tracking down.

Regards,

Marc - STDZ Lures - Catch fish,fish a STDZ instead.
bilge View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Bill Jackson Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bilge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2016 at 7:43am
I also use Texas pliers Orange ones for small lures and green ones for larger lures.They are great. The best pliers I have used are no longer available they were KSK  made in Japan but died of overuse after a long time, Aint it always the way. I am always on the lookout so have a draw with a lot of failures in it.
I used a pair of Halco in a tackle shop and was impressed so I purchased a pair but the ones I got were not as good.Confused
The Texas pliers are not cheap but in case I lose them or they are no longer available I have a spare unopened set of both colors in a drawer.

The older I get the more I learn.
Kimo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2016 at 8:00am
Once again thanks guys
I am impressed with the appearance of the Texas Pliers. The lower or one of the fingers appears to thin right down at the end and extend past the wedged end of the other finger. If I am correct in this description, dose this affect the opening of the split ring ?
Hi Bilge did you get yours here ? or away ?
Cheers Kimo
bilge View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Bill Jackson Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bilge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2016 at 8:15am
Kimo here, give me a ring. billj
The older I get the more I learn.
Davent View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2016 at 9:34pm
Originally posted by Baroo Baroo wrote:

They really are worth tracking down.

I also use these, and they are by far the BEST splitring pliars I have ever come accross.
Craigs fishing warehouse in darwin stock them, theyre not cheap, but they worth it.
Atheism is a non prophet organisation
steiny View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steiny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2016 at 9:44pm
From my observation.....If you compare the straight arm on the orange Texas pliers it extends out past the spur which makes these unique, compared to most on the market.
cheers steiny
matt fraser View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder

Barambah Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matt fraser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2016 at 11:33am
For medium to large rings the Blue Xurons are unbeatable as a workshop split ring tool. You won't go back to normal split ring pliers after using them. But they are not good for fishing - they rust and aren't good at removing hooks from fish etc.

For the small stuff I grind down berkley ones like Chris said. Or there are some good stainless ones around.

I got a second pair or Xurons from lureparts online recently ( I thought I'd lost them) I couldn't find them anywhere else.

Cheers,

Matt
Darby View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fishaholic Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2016 at 6:22pm
This guy is listing both sizes on Ebay atm
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Texas-Tackle-Split-Ring-Pliers-large-/141869869648?hash=item21081a6a50:g:h4EAAOxyyUtScEil

I have got mine from Russ at Bassdozer, but he is a mite dearer than the above atm.

Brad
"If you are going to have fun with your rod.. get some wood

Flathead View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flathead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2017 at 5:55pm
Old post I know, brought a set of Texas tackle split ring pliers today based on this post.
First impressions I'm very happy with them.
hazmail View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Rayna Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hazmail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2017 at 7:23pm
   'RAYNA' ---Free Range Lures
peterayn@yahoo.com.au
Kimo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2017 at 1:51am
As posted Above. I bought the orange handled Texas Pliers, found them excellent on the medium & larger split rings, struggle a little on the smaller rings . I guess that`s why they make 2 sizes. For the little use that I have on smaller rings I will modifier an older Chines pair if it becomes to much of a hassle   
Excellent
Cheers Kimo
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic