Forum Home Forum Home > Lure Making > The Luremakers Shed
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Spray Booth

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Stall Holder
Stall Holder

Tonk Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lure-Nut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Spray Booth
    Posted: 18 Feb 2014 at 8:36pm
Anyone tried to use one of these booths for spraying auto acrylics and do they work. I have poor ventilation in the garage but can see this working by putting the extractor nozzle out the door LOL

Just created a paint haze in the garage and need to rethink what I'm doing Confused

Cheers

Rob

Tonk Lures
Lure-Nut View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder

Tonk Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lure-Nut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2014 at 8:43pm
Or this one ....

Tonk Lures
bassnbob View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
B.O.B Timber Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassnbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2014 at 9:14pm
GOOD idea rob but i would like one alot bigger Big smileBig smileBig smileWinkregards bob
Darby View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fishaholic Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2014 at 9:46pm
Rob, some of our efforts here, 

I am thinking one of those stove top range hoods might be an alternative, should be able to track down one second hand fairly easily.
my little 125lt an hour fan is still working well, very little haze comes out of my booth, as you are spraying past the lure, into the duct.
Brad
"If you are going to have fun with your rod.. get some wood

beardy View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Beardys lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beardy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2014 at 9:35pm
ive got one my duct goes out shed wall does keep odours out a little i got mine from a hobby shop beardy
beardy's lures
Lure-Nut View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder

Tonk Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lure-Nut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2014 at 8:23am
Purchased the last booth in the pics above - gotta say it's a bit of a pee shooter and doesn't really have the guts needed - created a small draft, but that's about all Confused

Have had some great advice from Rob Gaden and Paul Kneller over the last couple of days and now realise that unless I'm into self combustion, I'd better rig up something where the motor and fan are separable units Wink

Cheers

Rob
Tonk Lures
dishley View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dishley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2014 at 1:40pm
Originally posted by Darby Darby wrote:

I am thinking one of those stove top range hoods might be an alternative,

Yep, that's what Munnsie used to use when he made the East Coasts. It just sat in a window mounted into a wooden board. He worked out of a pretty smallish shed and produced a lot of lures at a time, it seemed to work brilliantly when I saw it in action.

I just spray outdoors.
Darby View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fishaholic Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2014 at 4:44pm
"I'd better rig up something where the motor and fan are separable units"

Should not be a problem if the motor is brushless, My in line exhaust fan is, and even when blowing pure thinners when cleaning the guns, I haven't blown myself up....yet Confused

I do note however the fine print at the bottom of the listings for those portable booths....

Note:do not use this spray booth with hazardous materials, flammable or explosive paints or materials.

hmmmmm might be a brushed motor Shocked

Lure-Nut View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder

Tonk Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lure-Nut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2014 at 7:15pm
Hi Brad .... yep, you got my point - spoke to Paul about it and he talked about using a car radiator fan run off a belt to a remotely located motor so that there are no sparks in play

Gotta be relatively easy to design .....

Cheers

Rob
Tonk Lures
Darby View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fishaholic Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2014 at 7:19pm
Or a small squirrel cage fan like used in the air system for a car, easy enough to source, run off a basic 240 - 12v power supply. The motor is outside the ducting, so the flammable element is disconnected from the electrical element.....Lamp

Lure-Nut View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder

Tonk Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lure-Nut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2014 at 8:08pm
Originally posted by Darby Darby wrote:

Or a small squirrel cage fan like used in the air system for a car, easy enough to source, run off a basic 240 - 12v power supply. The motor is outside the ducting, so the flammable element is disconnected from the electrical element.....Lamp

Into maximum suction here .... not sure a squirrel has big enough cheeks

Cheers

Rob
Tonk Lures
Nicho View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Nichos Maulers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2014 at 8:49pm
paintbrush has no overspray
Nichos Maulers Homemade timber lures....THEY CATCH FISH!

YA DONT KNOW...IF YA DONT GO...SO GET OUT THERE AND... FISH IT
Darby View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fishaholic Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2014 at 9:11pm
Rob, maximum suction isn't really needed. My fan moves 125lt/hr thru a 100mm duct and that seems to do the job.

hazmail View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Rayna Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hazmail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2014 at 11:41am
Originally posted by Nicho Nicho wrote:

'RAYNA' ---Free Range Lures
peterayn@yahoo.com.au
Darby View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fishaholic Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2014 at 4:36pm
Originally posted by Nicho Nicho wrote:

Just overSPATTER LOL
and loose hairs, and residual paint bloom, and is harmful to gods hairy creatures....Wink

Sav63 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sav63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2014 at 4:25pm
I am almost finished making a spray booth, taking a while to complete, I have used a couple of 12V 130cfm bilge blowers (spark less) for suction through a rear chamber in the booth. The two blowers seem to move enough air to be efficient, haven't used it for a full spray yet. I have wired the blowers up with AC to DC power supply and fitted a 12V LED strip light as well which gives out plenty of light in the booth. Overall measurements approx. 700mmx 500m x 600mm, cheers Sav.

Sav63[/
rally44 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Lee's Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rally44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2014 at 4:44pm
Very nice Mark, Top job, really looks the goodsClapClapClap. Cheers Richard.
Dads in the shed making saw-dust again.
hazmail View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Rayna Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hazmail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2014 at 5:32pm
Nice work Mark, and like that bilge fan and LED light idea--
May I suggest you put that 'skirt' all the way around the front edge, it gives the air some turbulence and get's the fumes/paint away from the sides and corners and out through the filters, instead of coming back out of the front of the cabinet.
Like it--Pete
   'RAYNA' ---Free Range Lures
peterayn@yahoo.com.au
Sav63 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sav63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2014 at 7:17pm
Thanks for the comments Richard & Pete.

Pete, sounds like sound advice on the skirt, I will fit some additional plywood to the edges. I am hoping to give it a thorough test shortly spraying some lures, cheers. 
Sav63[/
Montah Steel View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member
Hobbled Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Montah Steel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2014 at 7:51pm
amazing job. very jealous of the room some of you lot have to do stuff in.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic