LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Lure Making > The Luremakers Shed
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Stormboy's Questions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stormboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Stormboy's Questions
    Posted: 12 Jul 2013 at 10:32am
Hi All. I can see that I am going to be a pain in the a*%e, but I will have a heap of questions and thought that I would just leave them all in one topic rather than starting a new topic everytime. I Have no background or knowledge in painting and wood at all, so learning everything from scratch.

I have one of Travers lure making kits arriving down to me shortly and am very keen to get going on the carving and learning process.

I understand the carving and cutting out part, have also sourced some good info off here in regards to the sanding process and also the different grit sizes needed.

Where I am getting confused is with the undercoating/sealing of the lure. Do I need to seal the lure before undercoating, or will undercoating be fine? Also with what I read will undercoating with an Auto Acrylic Primer (will most likely be using auto acrylic top coat colours), mixed 50/50 with thinners, be fine? From what I have seen dipping the lures into this mix allowing to dry and then sanding, repeat process 4 or 5 times should suffice.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Cheers Nigel

tooch View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Twitchy Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tooch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2013 at 11:33am
Nigel, the spraying mix is 2-1.. 2parts thinners to one part paint..
you should put the sealer on first and sand it back then undercoat and then base colours,
stripes or any other scales eyes or whatever and then your clear coats .. usually 3 good
coats with 20mins drying in between..SmileSmileSmile...pete.
I'd rather be fishing with

stormboy View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stormboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2013 at 10:09am
Thanks for that PeteThumbs Up Received my lure making pack from Travers in the mail, and must say that this will be an invaluable help. Heading away chasing cod for 4 days next week so when I get back will start some carving and see where I end up.

Also received another parcel in the mail yesterday as well. A very big thank you to Lofty for these nice pieces of timber. A nice piece of Mcleay Valley Red Cedar and some white beech. Will save these pieces until I have had enough practice, so that I can do them justice with the carving knife.
Red Hunter View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Red Hunter Fishing Rods

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2013 at 10:22am
Keep us posted as you go Nigel , there are a number of us [ me ]  new to making lures . Thumbs Up
Darkside Slayer and Zombie hunter.
Strangalures View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strangalures Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2013 at 1:44pm
You can go wrong with the Travers Powell lure making kits its all there for you just have fun with it and carve a few while sitting around watching TV in between adds so you keep some skin on your fingers
Fish Choking Lures :)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic