LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > International Lures > European Fishing Lures > French Lures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Stranger from France...again

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Stall Holder
Stall Holder

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Piatu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Stranger from France...again
    Posted: 30 Aug 2011 at 9:11pm
In bib reads:
DEPOSE, FRANCE
Bodylenght :50mm
Weight 5,8g
Plastic or similar material and i think that its lead(or similar) weighted on front part:

By Piatu at 2011-08-30

By Piatu at 2011-08-30

By Piatu at 2011-08-30

By Piatu at 2011-08-30

At one finnish lureforums was little question about this lure, but if someone knows even little about this......

http://www.facebook.com/petri.muuttoranta

www.fishskinlures.com
Screamingreel View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2011 at 8:30am
Piatu
They were sold in the 70's possibly 60's in Tassy more expensive than the other lures at the time , bibs did not seem to last long. They were not keen hitting rocks and stumps, we could not get replacement bibs for them at the time. I have several in my tackle box bibless. They worked well in fast water.
I think in one of my many lure articles I have placed an early ad up on the site somewhere.
I think it had the price at the time and the maker.
I wonder now if there were any copies.
I will check some scans I have  at the weekend and see if I cannot find the ad mentioned.

Regards John
Darby View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fishaholic Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2011 at 7:54pm
Have seen it referred to as the Pecos Articulated Trout..
depose is loosely translated as registered (I assume either design or patent)... was available in 3 or 4 sizes in trout and minnow colour patterns.
Have only seen them mentioned in 1 book circa 1975, other than that I can only assume that there was some tie in with either Rublex or Mitchell importer of the time.
There was a copy made by TEAL lures in New Zealand in the late 70's, and they are even HARDER to find.
I have 2 copies by Superflex as well, which is an Aussie company, but the lures could be asian made.

Brad
"If you are going to have fun with your rod.. get some wood

LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2011 at 8:10pm
Brad .    Pecos, where is that from, never seen that one before.  Did DAM put one out as well.
             The superfex ones are very interesting as well, is the pinkish one faded or was that its actual colour ,cannot say I actually seen them before either. Are they around the 70's era.
Regards John
Darby View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fishaholic Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2011 at 8:31pm
John, I first saw the Pecos name in Roger Hungerfords 'Fishing with Lures' books, but have had it confirmed by a couple of fellow collectors who have had them since new.
Yes the early 70's for the Pecos, a bit later for the copies.
The pink is actually more a reddish brown.

Brad
"If you are going to have fun with your rod.. get some wood

hazmail View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Rayna Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hazmail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2011 at 8:50pm
I have one or two of these somewhere, probably bought them in the 80's, never any good for trout, but from what John is saying, maybe I was not going quick enough.
Pete
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2011 at 8:53am
hazmail  Darby      Went out with a professional cray fisherman who was very keen on his trout fishing in Tasmania in the late  60's, just to watch this bloke and learn a little.Left my own rod at home. It was a watch and learn trip. He was an outstanding fishermen and had great results.We stood on a river bank in {tea tree cover} medium cover( walking very quietly) with very fast water at our feet he  had 18 inches up to two feet of line out and caught just over 4 lbs of trout, it was an oustanding performance and amazing to watch.  The lure just move about in the strong current in the same area.  Up down and side ways in a very restrictive and snaggy area.. I am sure it was that lure, as here remarked never used one of these lures will see how it goes.

It was a great trip.
Regards John
ropes.basstard View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Guide
LureLovers.com Guide
Asian Lures Guide

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ropes.basstard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2011 at 10:21pm
I own a Depose Eeelet. It looks like Petri's lure, and is jointed but it is much longer.
Hi I'm Ropes and I'm addicted to fishing lures.
goldenfox View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goldenfox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2012 at 2:49am
Garcia marketed these also and they are commonly known in the UK as "broken back" lures. I'll see if I have one in the packet, they also at the same time marketed the Eel-let. I think around the mid to late 50's if that helps.
Cheers and tightlines.
Tightest of lines to you!
goldenfox View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goldenfox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2012 at 2:50am
PS. I believe the Pecos was slightly different in that it had a blade in the centre of the head and the head rotated. I have one somewhere I'll see if I can find it and post a picture!
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2012 at 8:43am
Sounds like something different again, will be interesting to see a photo.

regards John
goldenfox View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goldenfox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2012 at 8:13am
Here is one of the other lures sometimes referred to as the Pecos. I have seen pictures from catalogues where they class the broken back also as a Pecos. I have attached a few other lures, similar in style to these.

Pecos with plastic vane in head and spinning body

Plastic spin tail lure by GLA.

Good marketing making it look like they are different lures because the names are different!!! The Sandeel from Lees of Redditch and the Eel-let from Garcia!!

TIGHTLINES AND BEST WISHES TO ALL!!!

LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2012 at 8:32am
Some golden oldies there.
What is the main material used.
Rubber , plastic, or some other material
The plastic vane spinner is very unusual, how practical was it and did it stay on the shelves very long, or did it have a short commercial life.
great collectors piece though.
 I wonder if Barry has come across any in his travels/ collection.
Regards John
goldenfox View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goldenfox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2012 at 8:40am
Definately a very hard plastic, probably as they had to withstand a lot as such. There seems to be a few around as such but you have to look all the time.....sometimes some variation pops up from nowhere!
The vaned one I have seen very few of although it was advertised along with the other Pecos/broken back lures but maybe it was not as popular as the others. The plastic on the eel et and spin tail is definately heavy duty, more so than the finned one.
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2012 at 8:45am
Thanks
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2016 at 5:51pm
Received these in a trade today in the mail from a L L member.

A 1960's Superflex  card showing 6/- Articulate "Trout" in the  Magicatch Series. (not sure what that was)

and  an interesting old English Devon lure with  two wired trebles

"Superflex" printed on the back of the bib.

Any idea where Superflex  lures hailed from.

This appears to be the only Superflex thread where a lure has been recorded.

Regards John

MadDogLures View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Mad Dog Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadDogLures Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2016 at 7:48pm
Nice lures John, love the Superflex one and its great for trout fishing.Thumbs Up

Cheers,
Dave
Life is fishing!
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2016 at 6:47am
I realised later it is the French section and not in the Aussie section ,  now hard to find.

Regards John
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic