LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Australian Lures > NSW Lures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

"Swansea Flathead Lures"

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colsel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: "Swansea Flathead Lures"
    Posted: 26 Apr 2015 at 2:40pm
To date I have not been able to establish the name of the guy who carved these lures. They have a quite distinct style and I was told that they were purchased at the Belmont Fisherman's Warehouse around 1978.

The locals speak highly of them as being very effective at a place in the Swansea Channel called "Reid's Mistake".

The lures pictured are examples of the 3" and 4" versions but I believe that several other sizes were also made.

It would be appreciated if anyone could add any additional details about these lures that they would be happy to share.

Regards,
Col

Nicho View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Nichos Maulers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2015 at 3:51pm
col I think bob or bullrout will have the info you need...amazing looking at them you would not think flathead, but apparently they produced the goods...yours look in good nick for age.
Nichos Maulers Homemade timber lures....THEY CATCH FISH!

YA DONT KNOW...IF YA DONT GO...SO GET OUT THERE AND... FISH IT
bassnbob View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
B.O.B Timber Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassnbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2015 at 3:58pm
i dont know his name but love the lures he made i have a popper also TongueTongueregards bob
grey nomad View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grey nomad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2015 at 5:25pm
I could be wrong EmbarrassedConfused but am sure 6-8 ? months ago Debbie or someone she knows wrote something about these lures, I recall the makers name (or a name) was mentioned ??

I am sure she will let me know if I'm completely wrong EmbarrassedConfusedBig smile (in a nice way).
Gristy
handbrake View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handbrake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2015 at 6:13pm
Always in a nice way Carl. I'll reply when I get home from work.
handbrake View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handbrake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2015 at 9:32pm
The only name I have come up with is Grahame Bray from Swansea 1991 Fishing World mag but obviously haven't confirmed him as the maker. Made a range of lures called Mitch.
Anyone heard of him?????
colsel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colsel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2015 at 10:42pm
Thank you for the lead Debbie. That name is not familiar to me but hopefully it may jog a memory for someone else.
Much appreciated,
Col
bassnbob View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
B.O.B Timber Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassnbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2015 at 10:49pm
I thinkdebbies on the money i remember me older brother & myself buying abu tobys etc to fish in the swansea channell &there was a dude on a chair out the front hand carvein lures & iam sure they sold em the to right time frame late 80s 90?91 bugger if i know the name of the make been try to find out for years bugger buggerWinkBig smileBig smileBig smileConfusedConfusedregards bob
bullrout22 View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bullrout22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2015 at 11:10pm
Originally posted by handbrake handbrake wrote:

The only name I have come up with is Grahame Bray from Swansea 1991 Fishing World mag but obviously haven't confirmed him as the maker. Made a range of lures called Mitch.
Anyone heard of him?????

Debbie

Thanks for the lead ill ask a few fishing mates that might know they have some of these lures,all I know is he lived in the mining houses on Coon Island near the Caravan Park Clap
Dave Lake Macquarie N.S.W

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic