LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Lure Making > Make your own Fishing Lures > Questions and Tips re carving your own fishing lures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Swivel belly hangers

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shamozzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Swivel belly hangers
    Posted: 03 Mar 2020 at 7:38pm
G'day fellas,
I've dabbled with making some stick bait's for tuna years ago and found that swivel belly hangers were an easy and strong way of attaching a second treble and maintaining a "wire through" setup. 
Anyway, I'm off to the Daly river in a month or so and decided to make a couple of lures to take with me. 
My question is; 
Why don't any smaller (160ish mm) barra type jerk baits have swivels to attach the belly hooks? 
I've seen a few blokes starting to add a second split ring so barra don't pull hooks and a swivel seems like a good solution, especially given the strength of a good quality crane swivel. 
Keen to hear what you blokes think, 
Thanks

Fysshe Salmon View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Fysshe Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fysshe Salmon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2020 at 10:20pm
Williamson lures from South Africa had a small popper that had a belly swivel, not very strong and the one I had corroded away quickly in saltwater. I think some of their current models may have a similar setup, albeit a lot stronger.
Fysshe
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Fysshe Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fysshe Salmon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2020 at 10:42pm
Just checked a later version of the Williamson popper I had and they seem to have done away with the belly swivel...

Fysshe
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Fysshe Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fysshe Salmon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2020 at 11:05pm
I can't seem to find any medium sized stick baits with a belly swivel anywhere! Williamson do make a 135mm "Jet" popper with one that would work...

Fysshe
Danny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Danny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2020 at 7:47am
I havnt made a barra lure with a swivel set up but considered it. With regards to fighting a fish doing his best to throw lure, I can only see it being a good thing. 
Dan
Ducks View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ducks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2020 at 8:09am
I've had a few smaller lures with through wire and swivel.
In general, the swivels don't hold up very well.  (I'm not sure if people are using garbage swivels.)
I've often wondered how it is so common in GT lures given this - and I came to the conclusion (with no first hand knowledge) that GT lures don't last many sessions anyway, so the swivel doesn't give out first.
shamozzle View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shamozzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2020 at 9:03am
There's a brand of swivels that I'm confident are strong enough, they're called NT swivels, a Japanese brand. I've used 4/0 size in my tuna stick baits with no problems but thought there must have been another reason that they weren't used in barra sized lures.
I think I'll give them a whirl and see how they go. I'll post up a couple of pics of my lures and hopefully in April a couple more pics hanging out of the gob of a metre barra! 
horrorhead View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLover of the Year 2020

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2020 at 9:40am
Originally posted by Ducks Ducks wrote:

I've had a few smaller lures with through wire and swivel.
In general, the swivels don't hold up very well.  (I'm not sure if people are using garbage swivels.)
I've often wondered how it is so common in GT lures given this - and I came to the conclusion (with no first hand knowledge) that GT lures don't last many sessions anyway, so the swivel doesn't give out first.

Also the swivels used in GT poppers and stick baits are generally oversized versions. I found a "Carpenter"stick bait on a beach up here (supporting your statement that they don't last long) and it is the largest rolling swivel that I have seen.

My GT lures have an average life span of 2 hits only with many lost on their maiden voyageCry.
Martin-

you don't havta be pretty to fish
shamozzle View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shamozzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2020 at 9:56am
I ended up going with size 2 NT crane swivels, rated to 160kg. Obviously the ratings are when you pull them in a straight line and not 90 degrees to themselves but I still feel like they'll be OK.
Geez, there's worse things that you could find on a beach than a carpenter stickbait! 
horrorhead View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLover of the Year 2020

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2020 at 8:09pm
Originally posted by shamozzle shamozzle wrote:

I ended up going with size 2 NT crane swivels, rated to 160kg. Obviously the ratings are when you pull them in a straight line and not 90 degrees to themselves but I still feel like they'll be OK.
Geez, there's worse things that you could find on a beach than a carpenter stickbait! 

Yep, a Carpenter 2013, it caught a few fish by the look of it. If I can locate it in my storage shed ,I'll put up a photo. (Things get temporarily lost when you move from one premises to anotherConfused)
Martin-

you don't havta be pretty to fish
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic