LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Lure Discussion > Fishing with Lures > Trolling Lures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Talonz Muskie and Pike Lures

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kingfisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Talonz Muskie and Pike Lures
    Posted: 01 Aug 2014 at 5:01am
Im not sure but my Musky and Pike baits might work for your fish. I have some deep divers that get down to 30 feet on braid , about 9 meters. I also make shallow running lures. Trolling baits are my passion as we troll on Lake St. Clair for Muskies. Do you guys run big baits? as in 10 to 21 inches long? We have been using inline weights for decades over here. I run up to one pound mini balls on down rods to get deep divers down 40 feet. In meters that would be just over 10 meters.
Kingfisher
http://www.fishall-lures.com
horrorhead View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLover of the Year 2020

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2014 at 10:27am
8 inches is about the largest that we use on our freshwater fish even though our murray cod is the world's largest freshwater perch species - have been known to grow over 250 pounds. I have a photo (somewhere) from a newspaper of a murray cod close to 3 metres long - that would be much heavier then 250 lbs. 

With how large the murray cod, and the barra grow, I can't see why we don't use much larger lures in the bigger waters.

This is a home made aeroplane spinner my uncle picked up at a garage sale - the wing span is over 13 inches (33 cm). That is my case for my glasses used as a comparison. This would have been designed to elicit a territorial response from a large murray cod.
Martin-

you don't havta be pretty to fish
Ducks View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ducks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2014 at 11:05am
I wonder if the reason we don't use the larger lures is because we don't have the gear available locally (as sportdfisherman) to stand up to trolling or casting those big boys all day.
I'll point to the incredible amount of trouble I had finding rods to "feel" locally when preparing for my overseas trip.  And yet, all the while, I can see a huge range of musky rods, peacock rods, snakehead rods, all designed to play nicely with large lures all over the world.  It's not like our sport fish species aren't big enough.
Ducks View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ducks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2014 at 11:10am
So in that sense it becomes a self fulfilling prophecy.  Nobody throws big lures because the rods aren't available so nobody buys big lures so nobody imports the rods...  Wired
doccod View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
B.J.'s Spinnerbaits

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doccod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2014 at 12:35pm
Ducks Have trouble understanding your dilemma! Wilsons Live Fibre rods off the rack have a couple of 15kg to 24kg that could fit casting larger lures. I used a 2pce 10kilo ugly stik at 8ft length and was throwing kaditchas for cod,large cod seekers,and split rock specials(Marz)which I casted on fifty pound braid with sixty pound leader when necessary in the lower Murray a few ago(Casting from the bank through the snags)Hookups are just as exciting....regards B.J.
Ducks View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ducks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2014 at 1:00pm
Mate if you want to cast cod lures on a 15-24 kilo stand up Marlin rod all day you are welcome to it.  I for one would just take the option of just not throwing a 2oz lure given that choice.

It's also the huge gap in the rod ranges between finding something in between the 'snapper spin' types which are great for weights up to about 2/3 oz, and then the game fishing gear.  And I'm not just talking about the ability to physically handle heavy lines and big lures - I'm talking about them being designed for comfortable casting in those ranges.

Like I said, the rods are available everywhere else in the world with a big fishing industry. Designed to be ideal for casting big baits for sports fish.  This is an example of the sort of 'range' of sport fishing rods that I'm talking about - not utilising something that "could fit".
http://www.basspro.com/Bass-Pro-Shops-Graphite-Series-Muskie-Trigger-Rods/product/1204170505289/
And he're we're looking at one range of rods from one company (just happened to click on the budget basement one)

In the end I bought a 3 piece medium heavy travel BC, and a 1 piece Daiwa Muskie Special (Heavy, almost to X Heavy). Absolutely perfect for the job, but nothing similar carried by local sellers despite the range existing from the international brands.
JKR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JKR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2014 at 1:02pm
Originally posted by Kingfisher Kingfisher wrote:

Im not sure but my Musky and Pike baits might work for your fish.

Your lures are beautiful.

With the greatest amount of respect, I reckon people would need to upgrade the hardware on them to target large barramundi up north in Australia. Big cod would make short work of your trebles too.

The lures themselves would work just perfectly, especially those that can be fished slower. Some of the speeds you're trolling lures at is mighty quick. Those muskies and pike mustn't mind a quick sprint before dinner.

Anyone using your smaller lures with success on large trout?

JKR
Kingfisher View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kingfisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2014 at 8:30pm
Trebles and split rings can be changed out to 6 x strong and 300 pound triple rings.  The deep threats and Magnum Rippin shads already come with 280 pound wolverine triple split  rings. The wire is .078 stainless steel . Nothing breaks that. They troll well in the 2.5 to 3 mph range.  The 5 inch Fat Shad has .057 stainless steel wire and #6 wolverine triple rings . I can sell them with VMC 6X strong hooks with salt water finish.  No problem upgrading the hardware.
http://www.fishall-lures.com
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic