LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Lure Making > Make your own Fishing Lures > Questions and Tips re carving your own fishing lures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tarbender Resin ?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lycan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tarbender Resin ?
    Posted: 17 Dec 2018 at 4:00pm
Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone has used this product, think its similar to E-Tex ?

https://www.smooth-on.com/products/tarbender/

Or this one the ( Amazing Clear Resin ) from Aldax

Cheers
Steve
Living outside of the square means never having to sit in the corner
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2018 at 7:24pm
i havent used the tarbender but ive recently been using a feast watson product called "glass finish"which i'm pretty sure is the same.It works well with lures but i think it might be slightly thicker than e-tex
that's no how ye make porridge!
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2018 at 7:32pm
i did this lure with Sean Sly for a fundraising auction its got two coats of the glass finish

good on slab tables too
horrorhead View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLover of the Year 2020

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2018 at 7:38pm
That is a very deep finish on that Tarbender
Martin-

you don't havta be pretty to fish
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2018 at 7:40pm
Aaaaaand a very nice finish on that Feast and Watson. It may all come down to ease of use.
Martin-

Lycan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lycan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2018 at 7:40pm
Damn I love your creativity and artwork.

Thanks for the link, going to check it out now ( Then try to bribe the minister of fun & finances ).

Well checked it out and would assume will have to rotate lure similar to E-Tex, Wifey gone for a walk so I can web surf at will, before having to work out a plausible excuse.

Thanks Again
Cheers
Lycan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lycan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2018 at 7:47pm
Well bugger me, it just so happens that they have that product in stock at Bunnings which is only 20 minutes away.

Any particular Tips / Secrets to getting the best results when using it ?.

Thanks Again for replying and being prepared to share your knowledge.

Goes over Acrylics I hope.

Cheers
Steve
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2018 at 7:57pm
I'm interested in seeing what you think of it - not that I'm a lure maker though.
Martin-

puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2018 at 10:45am
Originally posted by Lycan Lycan wrote:

Well bugger me, it just so happens that they have that product in stock at Bunnings which is only 20 minutes away.

Any particular Tips / Secrets to getting the best results when using it ?.

Thanks Again for replying and being prepared to share your knowledge.

Goes over Acrylics I hope.

Cheers
Steve
same as with the e-tex i guess,i'm not sure about the Acrylics but it should, i could try it over some for you if you like before you buy it.Ive been doing mine in a rotisse and it works ok ,you do need to use an open flame to pop any bubbles you might get (the carbon dioxide from the flame pops them) i use one of those little gas torches that chefs use.Paint it on fairly liberally if you can as thin coats seem to get more bubbles.you cant mold this stuff either its not like the casting resin(i tried just made a gooey mess)
Lycan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lycan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2018 at 2:42pm
That would be good if you could test it next time you have some mixed, don't go out of your way and mix it just for the acrylic test - it can wait.

Printing something at the moment that I think you will find interesting, shall send you the pic once its done.

Cheers
Steve
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic