Forum Home Forum Home > Australian Lures > TAS Lures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tasmanian made Trout lures.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
LureLovers.com Guide
LureLovers.com Guide
Beta Tester

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CaptainCranky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tasmanian made Trout lures.
    Posted: 08 Oct 2010 at 12:50pm
The Journey is the Reward

tooch View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Twitchy Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tooch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2010 at 2:53pm
Hi Barry, I like these lures a lot ...ClapClapClap...Very collectable......Pete.
I'd rather be fishing with

Screamingreel View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2010 at 1:47pm
Barry and Tooch
Very popular back in the sixties and seventies when the white bait were running in really thick schools
along the North West coast. You could see the trout crashing into the whitebait balls 50 to 100 yards apart all the way down the river covering both sides as the tide came in. Seagulls harassing the fleeing bait on top of the water.
A by gone era 

regards John
Darby View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fishaholic Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2010 at 3:31pm
Barry, you have better reveal the Johnson Kobras that match the devons.....c'mon I know there must be a board hidden in there somewhere Wink
"If you are going to have fun with your rod.. get some wood

CaptainCranky View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Guide
LureLovers.com Guide
Beta Tester

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CaptainCranky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2010 at 6:57pm
There may be

ropes.basstard View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Guide
LureLovers.com Guide
Asian Lures Guide

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ropes.basstard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2010 at 8:10pm
Back in 1986 I went on a fishing tour of Tassie with a mate. The locals were using these lures around the Great Lake and particularly at Todds Corner and catching great fish. They'd use the right hand spinning "devon" pattern for say 5 minutes then swap over to a left hand to control line twist. Sadly I've lost all bar two of mine since then. But I've also used them to great effect on NSW dams such as Ben Chifley. Trout love them and so do I, they cast like a missile. C'mon show us some more.
Hi I'm Ropes and I'm addicted to fishing lures.
MXB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MXB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2010 at 8:47am
Great lures Barry . . .

The whitebait schools in Tasmania are sadly far less than they used to be however the west coast fisheries are still strong and recently saw photos of whitebait littering the shore of a well known fishery where they had beached themselves fleeing the sea runners. In many cases it was the Galaxid minnows they were chasing too.

A piece of Tasmanian history and still work today

MXB
Tony View Drop Down
Admin
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2010 at 2:17pm
Very nice Barry Clap

Could you please let me know the full brand details and I'll create a section for them

Here's what my tired eyes have picked up:

Manufacturer: MF & J Johnson
Model: The Super Spinner

Cheers, Tony

For the love of Fishing Lures.
JD LURES View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

JD/Eddy Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD LURES Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2010 at 8:37pm
Aaahhh

Now those pics bring back some childhood memories.
Use to use the good old Johnson Spinner along the upper Derwent in the fastwater.
Great fish catchers back then and still would be today.
The Ashley is probrably the most popular Tassy Devon Style spinner today but the Johnson had it in there day.

JD
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2010 at 8:49am
It would be interesting to know all the different body materials used. Some had feathers some the current colourful cadbury chocolate wrapper as a base others had painted sinkers. Then the various forms of plastic became available and were used in making various lures.
In the 50's small brass tubes  obtain from the now defunct Emu Bay Railway line were used and when they were tarnished you would scrape it with a knife to brighten up the finish .They had the traditional wings and centre insert. They were very successful when the white bait were running.
I will  check the the trout gear out and post some photos.

Regards John

LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2010 at 11:34am
Lures made around end of the Seventies into the early Eighties supplied to sport stores along the North West Coast by a lure maker and fly tyer  called Spencer Dishington.
Local Fish cakes lures three sizes
Spinners mainly made from brass occasional from copper
 Used in the rivers dams and lakes of Tasmania.

regards John.

Perky View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Perky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2010 at 5:12pm
They look really good. It amazes me how many new lures you see that still don't look as good as some of the stuff made decades ago.
ropes.basstard View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Guide
LureLovers.com Guide
Asian Lures Guide

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ropes.basstard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2010 at 8:32pm
I don't understand why so many guys fly down to the local tackle store and fork our huge sums of cash for a couple of hand fulls of imported jobbies. Don't get me wrong I do use the imports (and they work), but the vast majority of my lures are home grown. It must be something about me that develops a real sense of pride & achievement from successfully deploying our local gear.
Hi I'm Ropes and I'm addicted to fishing lures.
CaptainCranky View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Guide
LureLovers.com Guide
Beta Tester

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CaptainCranky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2010 at 5:43am
Good on you ropes,there should be more of it.

muckawa View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muckawa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2012 at 11:10pm
Originally posted by Screamingreel Screamingreel wrote:

Barry and Tooch
Very popular back in the sixties and seventies when the white bait were running in really thick schools
along the North West coast. You could see the trout crashing into the whitebait balls 50 to 100 yards apart all the way down the river covering both sides as the tide came in. Seagulls harassing the fleeing bait on top of the water.
A by gone era 

regards John
as a point of interest , you lost the white bait schools in the late eighties
in NSW we lost the smelt schools out of wyangala dam and burrenjuck , chiefly etc
the first alantic salmon came from lock Lavern ,Scotland and were no good for fish farming
 another strain of alantic salom ova were brought in from France in 1981 to snobs creek
there was a 80% mortality in brown trout at snobs creek of the 1982 stockings
the salmon were distributed to all fish farms for assessment and the noticed high mortality monist their Brown trout
the smelt were the most common bait fish in all dams soon died off
pike fry virus had been a problem in Russia, and cause high mortality amonist redfin and brown trout in England in the late 1970
our blue-fin tuna fishery collapsed at this time , was white bait the main food for young blue fin tuna???
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2013 at 9:32am
Are whitebait in better numbers in the rivers around Tassie. Rick , Dave, Flash,
Regards John
FLASH View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FLASH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2013 at 12:47pm
The whitbait are in good supply after the seasons were closed for a few years . Good numbers now but sometimes the runs are outside the open season and many anglers miss the runs . Big schools and little schools it all depends on the timing and the luck of the angler .
FLASH
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2013 at 11:25am
Thanks Mate.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic