Forum Home Forum Home > Australian Lures > TAS Lures > Wigston
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tassie Devils

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Twitchy Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tooch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tassie Devils
    Posted: 14 May 2010 at 11:36pm
Hi Guys, This is my Wigston collection theye're a pretty mixed bunch. I haven't quite got em all yetSmileSmileSmileRegards Pete.
I'd rather be fishing with

bassnbob View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
B.O.B Timber Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassnbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2010 at 3:15pm
COOL pete the smaller pink ones are killers on the bonnies& tailor around the breakwaters up here ..WE ran out of metal one morning & at the bottom of the box was a couple pink tassies and bingo brained em alround great lures.......WinkWinkBig smileBig smileBig smileBig smileBig smile
tooch View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Twitchy Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tooch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2010 at 12:27am
Hi Bob I've Caught bass on em at St. Claire Didn't have any jigs with us so I used a tassie and got amongst a school suspende in 45 foot of waterClapClapClap Regards Pete.

CaptainCranky View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Guide
LureLovers.com Guide
Beta Tester

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CaptainCranky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2010 at 8:32am
Pete Bob is holding out.He has one of the best collections of Tassies out there.I believe some of them are from the 40's.
Sooner or later the big Human will soften and put them up for all to see.
The Journey is the Reward

tooch View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Twitchy Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tooch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2010 at 1:58pm
Hi Barry, He might be a big human but he's one hell of a nice bloke.WinkWinkWinkWinkLOLLOLLOLLOLRegards Pete.

puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2010 at 8:21pm

amongst my trout lures i have a type of tassie devil lure that was made especially for a tackle shop

in twizel in New Zealand,whilst i was there a couple of years ago a young fella caught a massive
rainbow on one(like 20lbs or something).i dont think you can get em in Aussie,if i find it i'll send it to you mateThumbs Up
tooch View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Twitchy Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tooch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2010 at 8:27pm
Hi Chris That will be nice Mate, The Boys are Looking real good Got a nice coat of clear on em. There Is another mob that makes a  Tassie lookalike they are called Lofty's Cobras , The wings are a bit narrower than the Tassie devils. WinkWinkWinkWink Regards Pete.

puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2010 at 1:06am
yeah ive heard of those Pete but i think the one from twizel is a wigston,should get off my rrr'z and go find it for you eh?LOL
cant wait to see the boys all finished mate ! ClapThumbs UpLOL
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2010 at 1:09am
just found it but it looks a lot like one you already have,i'll post it up to you anyhowBig smile
tooch View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Twitchy Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tooch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2010 at 10:51am
Hi Chris , Thanks mate, I'm Putting the boys together today . I will probably have some pics on the weekend WinkWinkWink Pete.

Lofty's Lad View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lofty's Lad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2010 at 10:41pm
i noticed that in your picture you have a couple of loftys?
tooch View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Twitchy Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tooch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2010 at 8:47am
Hi Dan, All these lures are marked tassie devils or wigston on them . you can tell the difference lofty's cobras have very narrow wings that are much rounded . I will try to post up some pics I have to got through about 20 takle boxes to sort them out might take me a little while but I will definitely get them posted for you to have a look at ....WinkWinkWink....Pete.

Lofty's Lad View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lofty's Lad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2010 at 10:23pm
Good luck sing out if you want to get rid of any
TasV View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2010 at 12:02am
I've only ever used mine on lead lines trawlling in Arthur's Lake... never tried casting them.

All marked 'Tassie Devil'.
tooch View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Twitchy Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tooch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2010 at 12:52pm
Hi simon, I've used them flatlining and casting and had pretty good results with both...WinkWinkWinkWink
I really like the blue foil nice colour it might attract a salmon or two ...ClapClapClapClap...Pete.

TasV View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2010 at 8:54pm

The most popular colours on Arthur's, from your photo above, is the first two in the fourth row. They do use some others but these are the staples run off a lead line about three colours down and dragged around the lake. They don't tend to use downriggers in Arthur's because it is too snaggy/weedy and not overly deep. They do use them in the Great Lakes. Not many other lures worked for me in Arthur's Lake. I tried Rapala CD3 and CD5s and soft plastics with no luck as well as a few others like some McGraths... The Wingstons cleaned up... In the rivers though the little minnows seem to be better than anything though I want to try some Celtas and the smaller Tassie Devils too. I keep a babyfood jar in my tackle box full of round red beads that I can put between the hook and the lure body and don't use the wire that comes with them from the shop. I run mono through them to the hook with a black swivel about a foot up along the line and the treble tied straight to the other end. See here for more info; http://www.wigstonslures.com.au/ 

Screamingreel View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2011 at 5:54pm
Wigston's Lures featuring the" Little Tasmanian Devil "as at Feb 1991 Fishing World 1991 Lure  Guide

Regards John.

goldtrev68 View Drop Down
Ex Member.
Ex Member.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goldtrev68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2012 at 1:35pm
some of the pink ones would smash the lizards I think
JKR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JKR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2013 at 11:58pm
Originally posted by Lofty's Lad Lofty's Lad wrote:

i noticed that in your picture you have a couple of loftys?

You're correct. I count 5 Lofty's Cobras in that pic ... (edit) make that 7 or 8.
wrapper View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Wrapper Baits

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wrapper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2013 at 4:51pm
l use both Tassie's and lofty's cobra on lead line with ford fender attractors when fishing at Dartmouth dam and find the pink color ones seem to do better in the mornings  cheers wrapper
Strangalures View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strangalures Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2013 at 11:53pm
Hi Tooch I've got a fare few in new condition that are old I can take picks if your interested if it helps your collection

I also have some rare ones I've been told.
They are new and have the feathers in them and glow ones as well that the old guy I purchased them from said he had had for years and years he wasn't joking as he had Huey's first lures in the box from when he was starting to make lures

For others looking for this type of lures theres a bloke in Devonport that has hundreds of these type of lures from a guy that has moulds he has them in all sorts of colours and I even grabbed a fredo frog one made from a chocky wrapper for my boy I think they were cheep but have to check price.  

If you send me you email Tooch Í will send you some pics to put up for the guys

Fish Choking Lures :)
wrapper View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Wrapper Baits

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wrapper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2013 at 3:22am
Rick sounds interesting ld like to have a look also at any photos you put up cheers wrapper
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strangalures Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2013 at 8:34pm
No worries wrapper
If you can pm me your email I can send the pics from my phone to you to put up as I can't at the moment
Cheers Rick
justackle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote justackle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2013 at 1:37pm
I'm bloody happy with this find.It is the salesmans sample ring of the new 12 colours in Tassie Devils
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strangalures Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2013 at 1:57pm
I forgot about this post
Nice little collectors item there Chris they look cool

Tooch mine weren't devels they were other makers , I did not know there are so many makers of these
Thanks for identifying a few for me Chris
I will drop them in for a closer look so I can write some names down for them if that's ok.
the_fishin_technicia View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_fishin_technicia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2013 at 11:09am
Found these on Gumtree (not mine) would make a quick completion to a full set :)

justackle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote justackle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2013 at 12:51pm
Dish of over 700
horrorhead View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLover of the Year 2020

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2013 at 3:13pm
How are these things fished, with a quick or a slow retrieve or just what works on the day? I have tried them a few times for various species including trout, but also for native species for zilch.
Martin-

you don't havta be pretty to fish
Mal Vader View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mal Vader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2013 at 3:30pm
Originally posted by horrorhead horrorhead wrote:

How are these things fished, with a quick or a slow retrieve or just what works on the day? I have tried them a few times for various species including trout, but also for native species for zilch.

VERY SLOW TROLL!!! LOLLOLLOL

That's how you fish them too! Shocked
I AM sorry Martin, Just couldn't resist!

We slow trolled for an hour before sunrise and an hour after sunset, on Dartmouth Dam in the early 80s.
Were catching Browns in the 3-4lb range, and Rainbows in the 1-3lb range, keeping 3 per session.
The morning 3 were eaten, the evening 3 on ice.
2 weeks, more than enough. Thumbs Up
Cheers   MAL
DARK LORD
In Space, no-one can hear you SCREAM!
horrorhead View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLover of the Year 2020

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2013 at 3:47pm
So you can resist anything but temptation hey Dart Bord?............I mean Dark LordWink

At least I now know, to fish them slow and see how I go...................one Canadian Club coming up me thinks.

Martin-

you don't havta be pretty to fish
Mal Vader View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mal Vader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2013 at 4:15pm
Originally posted by horrorhead horrorhead wrote:

So you can resist anything but temptation hey Dart Bord?............I mean Dark LordWink

At least I now know, to fish them slow and see how I go...................one Canadian Club coming up me thinks.

Darts AND Clubs, sounds like ya gunna blue with someone, need backup???
DARK LORD
In Space, no-one can hear you SCREAM!
JKR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JKR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2013 at 12:18am

They're not all Tassie Devils though JustTackle.

That one's a "Tassie Cobra", made by Lofty's Lures when it was in Mole Creek, and marketed in a hot pink box with the different name. Not sure why he did that, but now that Loftys is owned by someone else, the modern variant of that lure is made as the "Eucumbene Special" and sold only through one tackle shop.

Your picture shows the original, no longer made because the new owner can't get the old glitter any more.

Thunder Bolt was the first to go with that pattern. I'm hoping you're still willing to check whether you have any 'spares' of it that you might want to sell. I'd buy the one in the picture to fish also if you're interested.
Screamingreel View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2013 at 2:48am
Display board  123 lures
Were on ebay/gumtree I believe over the weekend.

Some old colours not sure of period/ age

Regards John
retiredron View Drop Down

Local Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote retiredron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2013 at 9:57am
Hi Guys, - My wife & I bought some Tassie Devils back in 1987 to fish Warragamba Dam while we were travelling about Aussie.  We now live in Cairns & as I make timber lures for the local Barra & Jacks we have no need for the Devils .If anyone is interested in any of the following send me a PM
Ron
(Local Lures)
greybeard
GB61 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GB61 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2014 at 11:38pm
Hello, Can you tell me about the one at the bottom right, has little round wings. I picked up one of those in an old tackle box,  Gary
be anxious for nothing
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic