Forum Home Forum Home > Australian Lures > NSW Lures > Powell Lures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tenterfield + 25 years

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Powell Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Powelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tenterfield + 25 years
    Posted: 28 Jul 2014 at 10:15pm
Last year, a few members asked if I was planning on making some 30 year commemorative lure sets. I mentioned that I didn't have the time to put any sets together, but it did get me thinking about doing some sort of boxed set.

I realised that 2014 represented 25 years since I first moved to Tenterfield and met Peter Newell.  This seemed to be a more significant reason to make a few commemorative sets, than the 30 years of lure making.

In December, last year, I decided to carve 9 of my original Tenterfield lures, using the original templates: Digger, Little Digger, Tiny Digger, Mack Attack, Trout Attack, Moogerah Minnow, Macleay Minnow, Cod and Trout.

I decided to make 10 boxed sets with a "Tenterfield + 25 years" cap and take them to the Lure Expo, with the Lure Packs. Of course, the Expo changed dates which is why I sold the Lure Packs a few months ago. With the pressure off to finish these sets by the June long weekend, I've been taking my time.  All lures are carved and 54, of the 90, are glued, sanded and ready to undercoat.

The plan is to paint each set in traditional colours, with a few sets in mixed colours. I'll keep 4 sets to give to my kids and sell 6 sets. A few members have expressed interest, despite me having no idea how much they will cost.

Progress photos.

Hopefully, with longer days and the weather warming, I can finish these sets before I start on the 2015 Kads.

steiny View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steiny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2014 at 10:24pm
Looking good Travers...very nice mate!
cheers steiny
saito View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2014 at 11:45pm
Box set aye Travers???!!!
Cheers

James

~Love my Bass fishing~
reel deal View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reel deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2014 at 11:59pm
quote -
Hopefully, with longer days and the weather warming, I can finish these sets before I start on the 2015 Kads.

You forgot to add - pending retirement...

wadeyClap
www.reeldealfishing.com.au
Slippery View Drop Down
Beginner Member
Beginner Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slippery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2014 at 8:02pm
Hi Travers,
I have just joined Lure Lovers today, so I hope I reach you as I am not sure on this posting thing!
I have been going to Glenlyon Dam for about 35 years,  the recent years have been with my family, three boys 16, 12 and 10.  I treasure the fun times we have ...every trip (twice a year).

Our last trip I met Rowland Davis (Wax's Lures). He gladly gave his time to show the boys how lures are made. Now they now want to start making their own lures - even have the names picked!. Rowland mentioned that you use to have starter kits for sale and that we should contact you, so I was checking if you still have them and can I purchase one?

My oldest boy caught his best Cod 90cm on the trip, Rowland asked to see what he used so he got my tackle box out and showed him.. he was devastated that i was still dragging them around and said I should show Debbie Dare. Deb was amazed of the collection of Tenterfield Lures I had. Looks like I have collection to hand down to the boys. (I couldn't believe the price they now bring).

If you could reply it would be much appreciated by the boys who are very keen to start!
Cheers
Kevin Smile
Team Slippery Fishing Adventures
handbrake View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handbrake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2014 at 7:52am
Slippery View Drop Down
Beginner Member
Beginner Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slippery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2014 at 8:15am
Hi Deb
Thanks for the picture. I had a number of people wanting some pictures of the lures so i will do that1
I will send to you as well and if you can send the makers details, date and history etc I am making a display frame as you recommended. This will be a fantastic keep sake for my boys.
Travers replied and the kit is on its way, the boys are very excited!
Cheers
Kevin
Team Slippery Fishing Adventures
Powelly View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Powell Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Powelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2014 at 9:13am
Not sure what's happening to my post, but I'm pretty sure that things are moving off topic!

The Sets are coming along, slowly. I've painted 4 straight colour sets (yellow/black, red/black, white/black & grasshopper) plus a fair few lures that will go into the mixed colour sets. There will be 5 straight colour sets ( still have to paint the purple set) plus 5 mixed colour sets. All are colours that I used in Tenterfield.

The caps are done. Only one box has been made and it looks great. The boxes are made from the timber inserts that were in the old 1800's cedar doors, from Tenterfield and Maitland. I'm expecting more boxes to be made next week.

Hopefully, will get a completed set together soon.

Travers
Strangalures View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strangalures Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2014 at 8:27pm
Might have to sell the car to buy one of these sets (only kidding)
Look forward to checking out what you come up with Travers & enjoy your retirement as well mate
Cheers Rick   
Fish Choking Lures :)
Powelly View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Powell Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Powelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2014 at 8:51pm
I'm beginning to wonder why I ever started this project.  It seems to be taking forever to get it all finished Confused

The caps arrived yesterday. They are numbered 1 to 10, to go with each of the sets.

Hopefully,the sun shines this weekend and i can get the rest of the lures painted.

Cheers

Travers
steiny View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steiny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2014 at 8:54pm
The numbers and the Tenterfield + 25 years is a cool idea.
cheers steiny
Powelly View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Powell Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Powelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2014 at 8:51am
At last, these Sets are nearly finished! Big smile  Just need to solder the tow wires on to some of the lures and they will be ready to post.

One Set is complete, and looks like this.

Pretty sure that this will my last attempt to put a boxed collector set together.  The cost alone surprised me: about $100 for each set to cover the box, plaque, cap and postage.  

This sheet of engraved plaques cost $100.  I think I'm in the wrong game!

4 of the Sets are for me and our 3 kids. 5 Sets are sold.   Set #9 is still available if anyone is interested. It's a mixed colour Set.

Cheers

Travers
rodsncods View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rodsncods Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2014 at 9:12am
message sent.....mick
BEER IS PROOF THAT GOD LOVES US AND WANTS US TO BE HAPPY!!!
Powelly View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Powell Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Powelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2014 at 4:40pm
Done, dusted, finished! Big smile

This is what they look like with the cedar slivers in the bottom,

I took photos of my 4 Sets with the lids on, but the light reflection off the lid made the photos very ordinary.

Now, to get started on the 2015 Kads!

Cheers

Travers
horrorhead View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLover of the Year 2020

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2014 at 5:13pm
They would be a great set to own - very niceThumbs Up
Martin-

you don't havta be pretty to fish
bassnbob View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
B.O.B Timber Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassnbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2014 at 6:38pm
AWESOME very top self lures powellyClapClapClapClapClapClapregards bob
jebe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jebe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2014 at 7:48pm
Trav Wow I love these
You are a craftsman for sure, well done top shelf job
Justin
Kev View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2014 at 8:21pm
Well done mate. They've come up great.

Kev.
lest_55 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lest_55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2014 at 8:56pm
  Very nice sets Travers ClapClapClap
rodsncods View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rodsncods Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2014 at 4:57am
the wife has been asking me for a couple of months " what do you want for xmas". told her that i would find something, well i've found it,this boxed set of lures.now she tells me she has bought something else. sorry travers.......mick
BEER IS PROOF THAT GOD LOVES US AND WANTS US TO BE HAPPY!!!
Nicho View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Nichos Maulers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2014 at 7:10am
They look great trav.....
Nichos Maulers Homemade timber lures....THEY CATCH FISH!

YA DONT KNOW...IF YA DONT GO...SO GET OUT THERE AND... FISH IT
steiny View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steiny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2014 at 9:49am
Awesome looking sets Travers.....well done mate!
cheers steiny
grey nomad View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grey nomad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2014 at 6:29pm
Just beautiful Travers, brings a tear to my eye LOL and I know first hand what you have just been through, well done mate Thumbs Up.
Gristy
peter am View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter am Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2014 at 1:15pm
Top sets those.
peter
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic