LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Lure Making > Make your own Fishing Lures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tenterfield Tow Wires.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slothy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tenterfield Tow Wires.
    Posted: 08 Mar 2015 at 10:49am
G'day all.

I've been busily testing?tuning lures for the last couple of days while house sitting a mates place with a huge test tank pool.  I've been running amok since I started this caper again and had about 50 to play with! LOL

Quite happy with a lot of the stuff I've been playing with but some of the deep divers have been giving me grief trying to get them tuned. 

While I was sitting out there contemplating the whole thing it struck me that the fiddling with tow points might be made easier if I used a Tenterfield setup.

So, the wire was removed from one of the biggest PITA deep runners and I bodged up a rough  Tenterfield setup from some soft wire I had with me. A bit of fiddling, a bit of a tweak and bend and the bloody thing magically behaved itself and did so consistently! Smile

So, this raises a couple of questions.

Firstly, am I right in thinking that the main purpose of the T setup is ease of tuning, or was my little experiment a fluke? 

Second, I much prefer Lexan bibs because I reckon overall profile size is important in a lot of what I do.  Is there a recommended way of making a Tenterfield setup with Lexan, given that soldering may end in tears? 

Cheers
Slothy

Darby View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fishaholic Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Darby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2015 at 11:12am
There shouldn't be a hassle with soldering around true lexan/polycarb. mabye cover the bib with masking tape to keep it safe from drips, and if you hold the tow with pliers across the loop, above the bib, they should act as a heat sink and keep any heat transferance deforming the tow holes. Commonly available solder melts at these temps, The higher the lead content (the last 1/2), the higher the melt point.
60/40: melts between 183–190 °C
50/50: melts between 183–215 °C

Polycarbonate has a crystaline transition stage of about 147 °C, so it softens gradually above this point and flows above about 155 °C.

Cheers

"If you are going to have fun with your rod.. get some wood

Slothy View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slothy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2015 at 11:08pm
Originally posted by Darby Darby wrote:

There shouldn't be a hassle with soldering around true lexan/polycarb. mabye cover the bib with masking tape to keep it safe from drips, and if you hold the tow with pliers across the loop, above the bib, they should act as a heat sink and keep any heat transferance deforming the tow holes. Commonly available solder melts at these temps, The higher the lead content (the last 1/2), the higher the melt point.
60/40: melts between 183–190 °C
50/50: melts between 183–215 °C

Polycarbonate has a crystaline transition stage of about 147 °C, so it softens gradually above this point and flows above about 155 °C.

Cheers

Thanks for that Darby, I'll give the soldered type a try when I get back home.

Powelly View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Powell Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Powelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2015 at 7:54am
Slothy

You've probably read the post that I put up a few years ago:

http://www.lurelovers.com/forum/tenterfield-tow-wire_topic8912.html?KW=

I think that this method of attaching the line to the bib was one of convenience and necessity and was devised long before Peter Newell moved to Tenterfield. As a backyard luremaker in the 70's & 80's, there weren't a real lot of options, when it came to attaching fishing line to the bib, so it was a clever bit of work that someone came up with - probably, Peter Newell. Peter moved to Tenterfield, showed a lot of locals how to make lures, and that soldered tow wire became a feature of lures made in Tenterfield.

I love the concept of the galvanised tow wire, because it's easy to make and allows easy adjustment for tuning lures. Back in the 80's and 90's, the equipment that we used was pretty rudimentary (no thicknessers and average quality bandsaws) so there was no guarantee that the bibslot was cut perpendicular to the timber's edge.  A slight bend in the tow wire would have a 'wayward' lure running straight.

I doubt that you will have too many problems with the lexan melting, during soldering. The heat never affects the paint on my aluminium bibs. I would be more concerned about the wire wearing through the polycarbonate or cracking the polycarbonate.

One of the reasons that I don't use polycarbonate bibs is because I have lures that the polycarbonate bib has cracked and broken.

Cheers

Travers
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic